New Acura owner with questions ('96 2.5 TL)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 06:53 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Acura owner with questions ('96 2.5 TL)

I bought a '96 2.5 TL yesterday after test driving it a few times. I loved the way it handled and felt. I was a little hesitant since it had 135k miles on it but I have heard so many good things about Acuras that I decided to go for it. The more I drive it the safer I feel in my decision...very smooth driving car. I will only be driving to and from work for the most part but need it to last at least a few years so I want to make sure I do the required maintenance. Looks like the belts have been changed to my untrained eye. There is no noticeable wear on them so I assume the timing belt (chain?) has been changed. I am not a DIYer so this work will be done by my local Acura dealer. It just had an oil change so I should be good in that regard.

What else should I check right off the bat?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the belt, you can't really tell if its been changed. The only thing i can think of is look at the belt and see if its a diff brand than stock. there is a logo on there but i can't remember what the factory brand was used LOL sorry but in general, just look at the logo on the belt and see if it "looks" old or if the paint of the words are chipped off or faded? other than that, its a solid car and is the only TL that was 100% built in japan.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:22 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TLBaller
the belt, you can't really tell if its been changed. The only thing i can think of is look at the belt and see if its a diff brand than stock. there is a logo on there but i can't remember what the factory brand was used LOL sorry but in general, just look at the logo on the belt and see if it "looks" old or if the paint of the words are chipped off or faded? other than that, its a solid car and is the only TL that was 100% built in japan.
Thanks for the quick response. Looks like the timing belt is covered up and I can only see it from under the car..I assume? The other belts look like they are in pretty decent shape.

By the way...I would love to be able to get an owners manual. Not a repair manual per se but an actual original owners manual. Any chance of finding one?
Old 02-27-2007, 05:06 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
You could always try eBay for the manual, but I have never understood why anyone would need it if you can get the service manual. It has everything the owner's manual has, x3 in detail. The timing belt is covered with a shield so nothing can hit it and damage it. Anyhow, have the dealer check out the service history and they should be able to tell you about work that has been done to your car at any Acura dealership in the US. Where are you located?

~Cheers~

P.S. Don't blow your money at the stealership. Find some reputable shop and I can guarantee that you'll spend a third to a half of what a dealer would charge for ANYTHING.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:37 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Go90go
You could always try eBay for the manual, but I have never understood why anyone would need it if you can get the service manual. It has everything the owner's manual has, x3 in detail. The timing belt is covered with a shield so nothing can hit it and damage it. Anyhow, have the dealer check out the service history and they should be able to tell you about work that has been done to your car at any Acura dealership in the US. Where are you located?

~Cheers~

P.S. Don't blow your money at the stealership. Find some reputable shop and I can guarantee that you'll spend a third to a half of what a dealer would charge for ANYTHING.
Thanks for the headsw up on the manual. I just assumed the repair manual was more for a DIY type perspn...which I am not. I am in Memphis and there is an Acura dealer here but a friend said he knew of a good Honda repair shop that he trusted.