New Acura owner from Montreal/Special Edition Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007 | 10:39 AM
Pro

New Acura owner from Montreal/Special Edition Question

Hey y'all, I'm new here even though I've been checking this forum for sometime now. I've wanted to buy a 1st gen TL ever since my uncle bought one in 2000. So I've finally got my baby back in June.

I haven't had the time to do any mods, so I wont post any pictures for now, because it's stock and we all know what stock looks like! However I do have gold plated badging which does look very nice on a black car.

I also have a small question to ask. My uncle said that his 97 TL was a special edition, but I don't remember that there was any difference between his car and mine, except for the colors and the badging. Do any of guys have special editions or know what the differences might be? There must be something different since my uncle said that he had to pay more for insurance because of that.
Old 10-03-2007 | 11:06 AM
Safety Car

i don't think so
Old 10-03-2007 | 12:10 PM
Advanced

There's a premium edition. It comes with heated leather seats, and I think a few other options. Is that what you're thinking of?
Old 10-03-2007 | 12:19 PM
Pro

I'm not sure, because I thought that heated seats come as standard on all 3.2's. As far as I know there were no options for the 3.2 TL's, except maybe for gold plating the badges and window tint.
Old 10-03-2007 | 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

did he have traction control???
Old 10-03-2007 | 05:37 PM
All about JDM

As far as I know the 3.2's in 1997 the premium or whatever had traction control and heated seats. My brother used to have a 1997 3.2 before he bought his new 07 TL-S and his 3.2 didnt have heated seats or TCS.

Thats the only difference I can think of. But then again the Canadian market has cars and editions that arent available in the US. :shrugs:
Old 10-03-2007 | 05:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DAiNiUS
I'm not sure, because I thought that heated seats come as standard on all 3.2's. As far as I know there were no options for the 3.2 TL's, except maybe for gold plating the badges and window tint.
i dont have heated seats...and i have a 3.2
Old 10-03-2007 | 07:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Kev16
i dont have heated seats...and i have a 3.2
Eh!? That's weird! I know that my uncle had heated seats, but I don't know about traction control. I have heated seats as well, but I have no idea if I have TC, how can I find that out? I've checked on msn autos or what ever it's called and it doesn't show that traction control is available on 1st gen tl's as an option or standard equipment.
Old 10-03-2007 | 09:34 PM
Advanced

There should be a button on the panel to the left of the steering whell that says Traction Control or TCS. That is how you would find out. If it's not there then you don't have it.
Old 10-03-2007 | 10:00 PM
97 3.2 Premium

Hi - fellow Montreal 1st Gen TL'r. (see my ID name...). Mine is a 97 3.2 TL and it's got heated leather seats and moonroof but no TCS. I didn't know it was even available. Are people sure it actually was available? Mine is navy (fav colour) and 17" wheels are on their way (from 2nd Gen). I'll see you around...
Old 10-03-2007 | 10:33 PM
Instructor

Hi "DAiNiUS" for how much did you Buy your Tl for ?
Old 10-03-2007 | 10:58 PM
大日本帝国

Look under your hood. If there is a rubber piece right off the throttle body that says TCS on it, guess what? You've got it!

Mine's a 96 3.5 () Premium with every option in the damn catalogue. Heated seats, TCS, heated mirrors, etc. It sucks because I don't have any blank switch plugs to add things, so I have to drill holes everywhere...

~Cheers~

P.S. Dainius, are you Lithuanian? Labas!

~Cheers~
Old 10-04-2007 | 06:17 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeffman
There should be a button on the panel to the left of the steering whell that says Traction Control or TCS. That is how you would find out. If it's not there then you don't have it.
Well I don't remember such a button, I would of surely noticed it. There is an empty slot where there SHOULD be a button of some sort near the buttons to turn on the heated seats, there are 3 slots in a row and the first two are occupied.

Hi - fellow Montreal 1st Gen TL'r. (see my ID name...). Mine is a 97 3.2 TL and it's got heated leather seats and moonroof but no TCS. I didn't know it was even available. Are people sure it actually was available? Mine is navy (fav colour) and 17" wheels are on their way (from 2nd Gen). I'll see you around...
Hey, I like the name lol. My uncle had a navy blue 97 TL, with tan leather. My TL is black with gold badging so if you see one with a young dude inside - that's me

Hi "DAiNiUS" for how much did you Buy your Tl for ?
I bought it for $9900, thats more than the average price but I bought mine from the dealer(Acura Metropolitain) and it was in very good shape since it had only one owner and it was a woman in her 50ies. So I can be sure that the car wasn't abused. It has low milage(132k when I bought it, now it's like 142k, thats 82k-88k miles) My only complaint would be that there is a little rust where the rear bumber meets the... I-don't-know-what-they-call-it-part.

Look under your hood. If there is a rubber piece right off the throttle body that says TCS on it, guess what? You've got it!

Mine's a 96 3.5 () Premium with every option in the damn catalogue. Heated seats, TCS, heated mirrors, etc. It sucks because I don't have any blank switch plugs to add things, so I have to drill holes everywhere...

~Cheers~

P.S. Dainius, are you Lithuanian? Labas!
Thanks for the Info, I'll check it out later on, because I have to go to school soon.

And yeah I am Lithuanian! How did you know? Judging by your name I thought you were Japanese. So Labas ir visogero, because I'm bouncin' to school!
Old 10-04-2007 | 07:55 AM
Advanced

The button next to your heated seats is for fog lights. I thought that was standard on all TL's. Maybe since it's a Canadian car it has different options?
Old 10-04-2007 | 09:01 AM
Instructor

I bought it for $9900, thats more than the average price but I bought mine from the dealer(Acura Metropolitain) and it was in very good shape since it had only one owner and it was a woman in her 50ies. So I can be sure that the car wasn't abused. It has low milage(132k when I bought it, now it's like 142k, thats 82k-88k miles) My only complaint would be that there is a little rust where the rear bumber meets the... I-don't-know-what-they-call-it-part.

i bought myn for 5000 $. ya i have the same rust + kind of broken rear bumper + 210 K on it when i bought it

get the rust done. it will coast about 350 $ there are few pplz who will do some prof Job.
Old 10-04-2007 | 09:18 AM
Pro

The button next to your heated seats is for fog lights. I thought that was standard on all TL's. Maybe since it's a Canadian car it has different options?
Woah, that's wierd, since the button to turn on the fog lights in my car is near the controls to open the sunroof, cruise control and set the mirrors. It's a long rectangular button. It's really surprising that Honda decided to do so many minor changes on essentially the same cars.

get the rust done. it will coast about 350 $ there are few pplz who will do some prof Job.
Yeah, I want to get the rust done for sure since the car is in overall very good condition, but I heard that it will cost more than $350. My friends brother told me that it would cost around that much to remove the rust and just paint the area that has been fixed. But the problem with that is that the new paint would show. So he said that the best thing to do is to simply repaint the whole part, if you know what I mean. In that case the price rises to about $600-$700 and that's already a lot.

I have another question to the Montrealers with 16-17 inch rims - does the car lose a lot of comfort with those rims on our horrible roads? I know that in the states or in other canadian provinces there is no problem to put 17's on a car but the roads in Montreal are worst than in a war-plagued third-world country!

And also, do any of you know a guy in Montreal who drives a 1st gen TL with smoked tail lights and if I remember correctly black rims. I've seen him near my College(Vanier) a few times. I'm just curious because his car looks pretty damn good.
Old 10-04-2007 | 10:53 AM
Instructor

Woah, that's wierd, since the button to turn on the fog lights in my car is near the controls to open the sunroof, cruise control and set the mirrors. It's a long rectangular button. It's really surprising that Honda decided to do so many minor changes on essentially the same cars.

Yeah, I want to get the rust done for sure since the car is in overall very good condition, but I heard that it will cost more than $350. My friends brother told me that it would cost around that much to remove the rust and just paint the area that has been fixed. But the problem with that is that the new paint would show. So he said that the best thing to do is to simply repaint the whole part, if you know what I mean. In that case the price rises to about $600-$700 and that's already a lot.

I have another question to the Montrealers with 16-17 inch rims - does the car lose a lot of comfort with those rims on our horrible roads? I know that in the states or in other canadian provinces there is no problem to put 17's on a car but the roads in Montreal are worst than in a war-plagued third-world country!

And also, do any of you know a guy in Montreal who drives a 1st gen TL with smoked tail lights and if I remember correctly black rims. I've seen him near my College(Vanier) a few times. I'm just curious because his car looks pretty damn good.

well i'm gonna get the rust done in abt 2-3 weeks so i'll let u know...
Old 10-04-2007 | 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator

US spec 3.2 TL's NON-premium models that were 1996 and 1997, did NOT have heated seats

Only US spec Premium models had those

1998 3.2 TL's had only one option, traction control. Everything else was standard.
Old 10-04-2007 | 02:30 PM
大日本帝国

And yeah I am Lithuanian! How did you know? Judging by your name I thought you were Japanese. So Labas ir visogero, because I'm bouncin' to school!
I just looked at the spelling of your name, haha. I'm not Lithuanian, but I have Lithuanian friends, and labas is the only word I can remember, haha. I can speak Russian to them, though, since they all understand it. I'm a strange mix... Chinese and Polish, but I speak many languages.

~Cheers~
Old 10-21-2007 | 10:20 PM
3rd Gear

Hello,I,m in Montreal and just got a '07 TL Black, wanted to know of good,reputable company and/or person that I can purchase and install tinted windows on the TL without cutting up the felt on the windows.Thx
Old 10-22-2007 | 04:14 PM
大日本帝国

Originally Posted by guisa21
Hello,I,m in Montreal and just got a '07 TL Black, wanted to know of good,reputable company and/or person that I can purchase and install tinted windows on the TL without cutting up the felt on the windows.Thx
Wrong forum , m8.

~Cheers~