Need speaker info

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 07:49 PM
giggity giggity giggity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need speaker info

I did a search for speaker info and I really didn't find much info. There are soo many speakers out there by tons of manufacturers, and I have no idea about them, so I need help.

Basically, I need to replace the speakers in my car because one is blown and the others rattle terribly. For right now, I am keeping the stock HU, but will eventually replace that and maybe add a sub. Right now I just need new speakers that get the job done, but will be pretty decent for me down the line with the new HU and sub. I am looking to spend like $200-300 on 4 speakers.

I am not a big audio person...I dont need something that's going to blow the doors off the car, but I need something better than the stock system. I put Sony Xplodes in my friends '92 Camry with my old Pioneer 4x45w HU and it sounded pretty good, so that shows you my sound knowledge.

Any help? Post links or anything.

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:12 PM
Advanced

alpine. Get the type S or type E, Type R's are nice but i dont think you need them
Old 05-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Fk U, Pay me

i run infinity separates in the front and pioneer 6x9 in the rear (get 4-way or 5-way)... those sound good, and when you're ready to build, they can take the additional heat.... i've got 80rms per channel on my interior and it is crystal clear and loud as hell...

in these cars, the window (when its down) and the window track rail (read: lots of metal) resides RIGHT behind our door speakers, making them tinny- dynamat the mounting surface and squeeze a foam baffle behind the speaker (it will stay, sandwiched between the mounting surface and the window track)- it will round out the sound nicely....

my

hope it helps
Old 05-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recommend going with the infinity perfect 6.1 component, and infinity kappa 6x9 3 ways in the back. Pioneer is good too. It's all depend on your budget. But if you really thinking about the sound quality. Go with focals.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:29 AM
giggity giggity giggity

I was broswing eBay and came across a couple auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...772863893&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...772241488&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...773194348&rd=1

Any good?
Old 05-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Fast Harry. Just instally the X-Type SPX-177R 6.5 components in my g/f's uncle's Testa Rossa last week! I was honestly AMAZED at the sound quality for these speakers for the money. You should be able to pick up a set for about $400. This will only do your front, but the rears are just there for fill anyways, so you can keep the stock ones and fade to the front a little more... (UNless one of them is the one that is blown.... hope not!)
Old 05-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
This summer I will be replacing all my speakers as well. I want ones with the same electrical properties (resistance, etc) as the stock ones, otherwise it might sound funny. Can anyone confirm this for me? I remember replacing the stock speakers in my old 4Runner with Alpine speakers, and it sounded weird.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Advanced

you guys are naming high end equipment this guy probably wont need or use. If you want somthing better than stock but dont plan on building a crazy system, go with something like the alpine type s (i had these before in a corolla, made so much difference.) or infinity refernce series (can get a nice cheap component system from them) or just pioneers from the store.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:53 PM
giggity giggity giggity

Yeah FastHarry, I just want something better than stock..nothing thats gonna give an old dude a heart attack in the car next to me...I think anything will sound better than the blown/rattling speakers in there now.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by HQuakers
Yeah FastHarry, I just want something better than stock..nothing thats gonna give an old dude a heart attack in the car next to me...I think anything will sound better than the blown/rattling speakers in there now.
Yeah, blown speakers suck. I have 2 blown ones. One on the dash is completely dead, and one on the roof is buzzy during certain songs
Old 05-12-2005, 02:29 PM
-glock security-

i really have had issues with the quality of infinity's speakers. i had two sets, a 6.5 componet set and some 5 1/4's (i think they were 3 ways). they were bothe the infinty reference series. well the both ended up blowing up and that was with my soundstream 50x4 amp. the gain wasnt even all the way up and the speakers had more but i was being conservative. first the 5 1/4 in the driver door went (still have the other one) and then about 4 weeks later the components starting crackling real bad. i know it isnt the amp because my girl has it in her car right now pumping some MOMO/polk componets and some pioneer 6x9's and it been almost 2 years without any problems.

so i will never buy infinity's but hey thats just my opinion and experience, just hope it helps so you dont have to throw out $250.+
Old 05-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Guys, number one problem with all these speakers is going to be your passive crossovers that come with them. BEST bet (if you have the equipment or the money to BUUY the equipment) is to run each speaker off of a different channel and use an ACTIVE crossover to properly control the frequencies. This gives you MUCH more adjustability and eliminates the x-over as a wiring issue. Most amps have built in 12 db x-overs these days so a small 4 channel amp with a decent built in crossover will run your front channels MUCH cleaner than a 2 channel with the passive crossovers. (i.e. one pair of channels crossed over HIGH and powering the tweeters only, the other pair crossed over as a low pass for the woofers. If the amp doesn't have the capability to set the low as a band pass, then you should think about adding a 3-way electronic x-over to the system. This is gettting really long and expensive haha...but most of us have some equipment around and it may just be a matter of re-thinking and re-wiring your current setup to accomplish this. If you can. it will create a much more clear, and POWER capable system for your listening enjoyment! :P
Old 05-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with the second link. Infinity Kappa. One step better than the Reference. And the first link, I don't even know what kind of infinity that is.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cornflake
Guys, number one problem with all these speakers is going to be your passive crossovers that come with them. BEST bet (if you have the equipment or the money to BUUY the equipment) is to run each speaker off of a different channel and use an ACTIVE crossover to properly control the frequencies. This gives you MUCH more adjustability and eliminates the x-over as a wiring issue. Most amps have built in 12 db x-overs these days so a small 4 channel amp with a decent built in crossover will run your front channels MUCH cleaner than a 2 channel with the passive crossovers. (i.e. one pair of channels crossed over HIGH and powering the tweeters only, the other pair crossed over as a low pass for the woofers. If the amp doesn't have the capability to set the low as a band pass, then you should think about adding a 3-way electronic x-over to the system. This is gettting really long and expensive haha...but most of us have some equipment around and it may just be a matter of re-thinking and re-wiring your current setup to accomplish this. If you can. it will create a much more clear, and POWER capable system for your listening enjoyment! :P
Are you talking about an aftermarket HU? What if I just want to replace the speakers only. Shouldn't the wiring all exist already?
Old 05-15-2005, 03:39 PM
giggity giggity giggity

Originally Posted by youngTL
Are you talking about an aftermarket HU? What if I just want to replace the speakers only. Shouldn't the wiring all exist already?

He's just saying that if you use a crossover than the quality will be better because the lows, mids, and highs will be separated into the respective speakers.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Originally Posted by HQuakers

He's just saying that if you use a crossover than the quality will be better because the lows, mids, and highs will be separated into the respective speakers.
YUP. I am recommending an ACTIVE/ELECTRONIC crossover if available instead of passive crossovers as they are more reliabel, adjustable and effective.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cornflake
YUP. I am recommending an ACTIVE/ELECTRONIC crossover if available instead of passive crossovers as they are more reliabel, adjustable and effective.
Oh, ok I get it now. I stupid.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:06 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

No such thing as a stupid question YoungTL.