More HP

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002 | 07:53 AM
Racer

More HP

Horse Power. I know you can get like 2-5 with an air filter done that. I know you can get like 10-20 with an exhaust depending on how far back you go (don't want the noise) I had a CL Changed the entire exhaust and put a universal Remus on but I was loud as hell. So I want at least 30 more horse power how can I get it? Also faster acceleration? Help!!
Old 04-08-2002 | 11:25 AM
Safety Car

exhaust doesn't really give you that much hp, like most company says. sometimes they gaurantee you ....10-15hp or something like that but its not always true. just dyno your car and find out. air filters are the same too. of course air filters, exhaust, headers do give you more hp but not that much more.

they say having a good ignition with aftermarket ignition wires, spark plugs help with acceleration but once again....you can't really tell. people are just trying to sell their products.
Old 04-08-2002 | 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

for 500 bucks you can get NOS.
Old 04-08-2002 | 02:31 PM
Racer

Yeah the nos thing is a giving but I was thinking something less dramatic though. Like little mods but maximum effect.
Old 04-08-2002 | 06:04 PM
Safety Car

little mods but max effect? ill tell you what.. i had a accord and did this simple mod and had drastic increase in strength! go out to home depot or some sort and buy one of those plastic pipes..or aluminum ones that has ridges. they come in 3 feet in length or so and cost like 3 dollars. what i did was remove my front tires (the one beneath the air filter) and removed that plastic inside the wheel well. i then removed the air filter box and replaced it with that piping i bought. place one end of that tube facing outward of your front grill, the grill between your bumper lenses. the other end pointing upward at your air filter. hopefully you have an aftermarket air filter. this is a good way to gain power but its risky because if water gets into that pipe and into your air filter..which then eventually gets into your engine, you're f*cked if you buy the one with ridges, where water is hard to find its way into your throttle, then you'll be okay. i recommend you not to leave it on all the time...maybe once in awhile when its dry. ive seen import pro drag racers do this too
Old 04-08-2002 | 07:26 PM
Banned

Anything that messes with the compression ratio gets you a lot of power, but you usually have to pull your engine to do that kind of stuff.

My friend said out of an air filter, exhaust, computer, and ignition...he felt the ignition the most. So Id go with that.
Old 04-11-2002 | 02:55 PM
Han
Instructor

Originally posted by TLBaller
little mods but max effect? ill tell you what.. i had a accord and did this simple mod and had drastic increase in strength! go out to home depot or some sort and buy one of those plastic pipes..or aluminum ones that has ridges. they come in 3 feet in length or so and cost like 3 dollars. what i did was remove my front tires (the one beneath the air filter) and removed that plastic inside the wheel well. i then removed the air filter box and replaced it with that piping i bought. place one end of that tube facing outward of your front grill, the grill between your bumper lenses. the other end pointing upward at your air filter. hopefully you have an aftermarket air filter. this is a good way to gain power but its risky because if water gets into that pipe and into your air filter..which then eventually gets into your engine, you're f*cked if you buy the one with ridges, where water is hard to find its way into your throttle, then you'll be okay. i recommend you not to leave it on all the time...maybe once in awhile when its dry. ive seen import pro drag racers do this too
I might do that, do you think that we could install a valve to prevent the water get in the engine ?
Old 04-12-2002 | 01:44 PM
8th Gear

in my experience bolt on mods do little for your cars performance, unless you are starting from a very indadequate stock component. To make real horsepower you really need to start working in major components to go with simple bolt ons like intake, exhaust, header. When I say major components I'm referring to cams, cam sprockets, pistons (compression ratio), and head porting. To make small gains in hp you could go the intake, header, exhaust route. I'm not even sure if they make these products for our cars however. An intake is easy to fabricate, so is an exhaust, but when it comes to headers you need to be a real tuner to create some on your own. I'm not sure if anyone makes a full exhaust system for the 1st gen tl's but if so greddy, mugen, and rsr are usually quiet with approximately same hp gain as louder systems. If you do fabricate your own exhaust make sure to get mandrel bent tubing, and stick a decent muffler on the end, keep the same diameter through the whole system so you don't have bottlenecks. Manufacturers claims are always inflated. A good fuel control system a set of cam gears and a buttload of tuning will always make some hp as well.