More Horsepower!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004 | 12:02 AM
Advanced

More Horsepower!!

We need mucho horsepower-o!!!!!!!!!

96' 2.5 TL

Any and all sudgestions would be greatly appreciated!!
We got:

NGK Plugs
K&N Airfilter

And that's it!!
Old 06-06-2004 | 12:13 AM
Advanced

Oh yah we are also wondering what will allow it to run cooler. We have noticed that first thing in the morning it runs quicker than the afternoon when it's still cool outside. We are in Texas so the morning temp. and afternoon temp vary greatly.
Old 06-06-2004 | 12:36 AM
Advanced

Well it seems we are getting some views but no comments anything and everything would be appreciated!
Old 06-06-2004 | 01:54 AM
Advanced

nitrous?
Old 06-06-2004 | 02:09 AM
Senior Moderator

There is very little aftermarket support for 5 cylinder Hondas unfortunately.
Old 06-06-2004 | 04:17 PM
Racer

All u can do is nitrous if u want major gains, they make high end electric supercharges (NOT CHEAP ASS ONES, ones capable of delivering in excess of 80 HP.) look into those
Old 06-06-2004 | 04:19 PM
Racer

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight/
Old 06-06-2004 | 07:07 PM
Instructor

if you want more h/p u can get the 6 cylinder 3.2 installed. Its possible cause my dad did it for a costumer. Its not cheap but its one way.. plus i thinik u can get more performance parts on the 6 cylinder.

Nitrous hmmm waste of money and engine. if u dont do it right ull f**k the engine and u dont watn to do that. You have to basically rebuilt ur engine to take the power(thats what i was told by lots of people that installed this mod)
Old 06-06-2004 | 10:41 PM
Advanced

So in reality there isn't much in the way of performance for these cars. Because I would like to build mine into a "Sleeper" so that when the little civics wana race I can stomp them! LOL!!! Cause there is nothing better than knowing that you are fast and luxirious! (I know I didn't spell it right it's late!)
Old 06-06-2004 | 10:56 PM
Safety Car

I don't think you can drop the 3.2 into a 2.5 chassis.

But if you had a 3.2, you can swap engines with a 3.5 RL.
Old 06-06-2004 | 10:58 PM
Advanced

huh. well I dont think I am doin a swap ne wayz just curious as to performance. But do u think an oil cooler and performance fuel injectors will help??? what about msd ignition???
Old 06-06-2004 | 11:12 PM
Safety Car

oil cooler, fuel injector (i know aem makes them for our car), ignition isn't necessary but if you want, go for it.. uh...do the ghetto cai mod i described in the other thread. oh i know! get a manual tranny from a vigor and place that into your 2.5. actually, our cars aren't made to race but if you put in a stick for your 2.5, you'll take off from the line like no other. remember, our cars are heavy as f*ck! its well over 3k lbs.. why don't you cheat a little and ride around with no spare tire and no back seat lol
Old 06-06-2004 | 11:37 PM
Advanced

Spare tire is gone. Already and I got the NGK wires, K&N, as well as a rebuilt intake which is a little larger than stock. That's why I am so focused on improve intake. It dynoed at 198 last week but I want atleast 225. So I am hoping Oil Cooler, Fuel Regulator, Performance Injectors, and MSD ingnition will give it to it!!!
Old 06-07-2004 | 12:09 AM
Safety Car

I am impressed that you went from 176 to 198 with just the KN and better intake. Even though it is just another 25, going from 200 to 225 is going to be a big jump.

In my opinion, you'll have to do some more serious work to get to that. You can mill the head (oooo risky) to get higher compression. Turn your attention to the exhaust system too. There's only so much intake can do. After that, you'll need some kind of forced induction.

Nitrous should never be used on an automatic transmission car. You just don't get enough control and you'll blow your engine.

Switch to fully synthetic motor oil if you haven't already done that. Synth will free up small amounts of power. You seem like you're after as much power as possible so every little bit helps. Change out the rear shocks to firmer ones so that more weight will stay over the front wheels during acceleration.

Take out the air conditioner, drain the washer fluid reservoir, and remove your wiper blades. Take a lug nut off of each wheel. This is what you could call a stage 1 lightening. Honda took 50 lbs off of the NSX and it became the Zanardi edition.
Old 06-07-2004 | 12:18 AM
Advanced

Well if you want to lighten your car you can also remove the shift cover over the shifter, fog light covers, spare, everything out of the glove boxes, passengers, rear seats, and air conditioner. But I want more horses so when I do that I got just a little more play room.
Old 06-07-2004 | 12:28 AM
Safety Car

man, im STILL trying to think how you gained 20hp!! since you got hook up on mechanic work, redo your heads.
Old 06-07-2004 | 12:34 AM
Advanced

The 96' has a 2 Stage intake manifold unlike most other imports (Civics, ETC.) So when you increase the size going towards the cylinders you increase the air flow. With the K&N along with the little box trick as well as the NGK's the whole system is bumped up. They support each other (Well atleast the K&N and the increased intake manifold size). So all we need now is to increase the amount of intake so the manifold is used to its full extent. We are also looking into aftermarket headers of some kind. I want it to look as stock as possible in case some kid trys to take a look. That way they underestimate the car from the get go. Do you understand now????
Old 06-07-2004 | 01:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Its a little known fact that the 2.5 liter engine is HEAVILY underrated. Honda did this because the Legend was 200 hp, you can't have the Vigor with 190 to 195 hp in a car that costs far less. Nope, so they decided to drop its hp a bit.

Oh and the 3.2 engine is underrated as well though not by much.
Old 06-07-2004 | 10:08 AM
Advanced

I agree Ken. That's why I wanted to create more horsepower in this vehicle. Its very underated within the import industry which makes it automatically the underdog in any racing situation.
Old 06-07-2004 | 10:10 AM
Safety Car

cool
Old 06-07-2004 | 10:11 AM
Advanced

So back to the question at hand any sugestions??? Anything that would help increase horsepower?
Old 06-07-2004 | 11:20 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Originally Posted by nick96acuratl
if you want more h/p u can get the 6 cylinder 3.2 installed. Its possible cause my dad did it for a costumer. Its not cheap but its one way.. plus i thinik u can get more performance parts on the 6 cylinder.

Nitrous hmmm waste of money and engine. if u dont do it right ull f**k the engine and u dont watn to do that. You have to basically rebuilt ur engine to take the power(thats what i was told by lots of people that installed this mod)
Yo man, I ALMOST put Nitrous in my 3.2. I had it on my '98 Integra nad it rocked, 75 shot, car ran good. Motor was fine, started melting Spark plugs late in the season every year, but a quick timing adjustment back to stock would always fix it. I wouldn't recommend Nitrous for everyone. You should have some basic understanding of how engines work and what exactly Nitrous does to make the car go faster before you throw it in your car, BUT It CAN be a GREAT cheap, and LARGE power adder for you. I'm still considering putting a kit on my 3.2 . . . Maybe just to show to you guys how do do it right. Always nice to pull up beside a new G35 or GS300 and smoke'em just when they think they're gettin away and you hit the switch...
Old 06-07-2004 | 11:22 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Originally Posted by deluxekoncepts
huh. well I dont think I am doin a swap ne wayz just curious as to performance. But do u think an oil cooler and performance fuel injectors will help??? what about msd ignition???

Can't really put an MSD ignition on our cars, they have Coil Packs (Each spark plug is controlled with it's own coil and ignition module). You'd have to replace all 6 coils and ignition modules, wouldn't be an easy OR cheap task.....
Old 06-07-2004 | 11:24 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Originally Posted by deluxekoncepts
Spare tire is gone. Already and I got the NGK wires, K&N, as well as a rebuilt intake which is a little larger than stock. That's why I am so focused on improve intake. It dynoed at 198 last week but I want atleast 225. So I am hoping Oil Cooler, Fuel Regulator, Performance Injectors, and MSD ingnition will give it to it!!!
20 Horse from just intake and filter? I find that ...ahem...VERY hard to belive...Ford 5.0 Mustangs don't even get 20 horse from an intake.... I think you'd better get your Dyno Calibrated!!!
Old 06-07-2004 | 11:40 AM
Instructor

you own a shop, a performance shop...don't you? if this is true you wouldn't be on this board trying to squeeze info out of all of us.

it IS still an internal combustion engine, even though it has five cylinders. what kind of things can you do to improve performance of an engine? if there's no aftermarket...be CREATIVE!

this is what really gets on my nerves about today's "tuner" bandwagon. it's easy to "tune" when you have boatloads of magazines with boatloads of bolt-on parts in them.

we here on this website have odd engines which nobody cares to support (aftermarket-wise). so you can either be happy with what you have, or try something new.

our engines DO still have cylinder heads...which can be ported and polished.

they have a two-piece intake manifold, which could be easily ported with the right tools (which you have, right?)

we have pistons, camshafts, ignition, spark plugs, air filters, exhaust pieces...EVERYTHING that any other engine has out there... and it is just as upgradable as any other honda engine; you just have to use your head. it will probably even benefit MORE from mods... i bet this engine is capable of screaming! just please don't rely soo heavily on aftermarket, cause we've been raped. so be creative.

and if your shop doesn't do anything but order parts from catalogs...then it's not much of a performance shop...
Old 06-07-2004 | 01:37 PM
Advanced

Heres an interesting thought I was thinking about the other day. So volvo uses 5cylinder engines as well in their older and newer cars. Then to increase their horsepower they throw on turbochargers. What I think someone should try is to find a used 5cylinder engine from a volvo and drop it. Or maybe just find out what type of turbo they use and slap that onto our powerplant. I think it makes sense.
Old 06-07-2004 | 02:05 PM
Safety Car

An engine drop is difficult stuff these days because of wiring harnesses, the ECU, and all that fun stuff.

In the 60's era cars, engine swaps were a lot easier. But even then, you would stick with the same manufacturer. (You wouldn't drop a Cutlass engine into a Mustang for example)

A Volvo drop into a Honda chassis would require an insane amount of custom work. Putting on a custom turbo job would be cheaper.
Old 06-07-2004 | 02:08 PM
Advanced

Look read below we didn't only change plugs and air filter if you would read the intake manifold was ported which is what gave us most of our gain. Also MSD does make an ignition module for the 2.5 I will attach the link once I find it again. (Just to clarify)
Old 06-07-2004 | 10:56 PM
Advanced

Well minus all the nonesense anyone that has any sugestions on horsepower gain on the 2.5's post it here!
Old 06-21-2004 | 06:53 PM
10th Gear

To hell with horse power gain in a tl(I have a 2.5 TL and love it) just do what I did a buy a CBR 929. It will smoke ANYTHING on 4 wheels all through the entire power band
Old 06-21-2004 | 11:52 PM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

This post is such BS. I have been modding cars for years, from mustangs in 93, then a 93 integra in 1995 (prob one of first whities in Dallas to rice and turbo an integra).

All those years I hear idiots who know NOTHING about cars say "uh I added an K & N filter and exhaust and got 20 hp"

Newsflash --> If you took a 1996-1998 3.2 TL and added AEM CAI, fabricated a crankshaft underdrive pulley, and ceramic headers, you MAY have just added 20 HP. Your 3.2TL has 200HP at the crank, that means at the wheels it is putting out ALOT LESS. With that extra 20 hp the pulley, header and CAI give, you may have 200 hp at wheels.

Sorry I gotta open a can of whoop azz on this one, but:

K&N = a few if any HP
Exhaust = 2-3 hp (or even loss of HP if wrong car)
Computer chips = higher rev and not true hp

If you want the HP you gotta pay
pulleys, CAI, headers, remove cat................then go into the engine
Old 06-22-2004 | 04:27 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Originally Posted by oulaw29
This post is such BS. I have been modding cars for years, from mustangs in 93, then a 93 integra in 1995 (prob one of first whities in Dallas to rice and turbo an integra).

All those years I hear idiots who know NOTHING about cars say "uh I added an K & N filter and exhaust and got 20 hp"

Newsflash --> If you took a 1996-1998 3.2 TL and added AEM CAI, fabricated a crankshaft underdrive pulley, and ceramic headers, you MAY have just added 20 HP. Your 3.2TL has 200HP at the crank, that means at the wheels it is putting out ALOT LESS. With that extra 20 hp the pulley, header and CAI give, you may have 200 hp at wheels.

Sorry I gotta open a can of whoop azz on this one, but:

K&N = a few if any HP
Exhaust = 2-3 hp (or even loss of HP if wrong car)
Computer chips = higher rev and not true hp

If you want the HP you gotta pay
pulleys, CAI, headers, remove cat................then go into the engine
True enough. I had EVERY bolt on you could put on my '98 Integra GS (Also had nitrous, but we're talkin about straight motor HP here...). The car had full exhaust, CAI, MSD Ignition (Blaster Cap adn 8MM Wires), Adj. Fuel pressure gauge (Actually made 4 HP, as tested on the Dyno!), underdrive pulleys, and a few othe small tweaks her and there. I DYNO'd the car at 140 HP at the wheels (139.5 to be exact) with EVERYTHING, that car has 140 Hp at the MOTOR stock, which is about 122-24 at the wheels. ALL of that stuff only gave me about 20 HP at the motor. Hey, don't get me wroing, the car was much faster, but not insane or anything (That's what the NOS was for...). You need all the bolt ons to get big power gains, and even then it's still small compared to forced induction. THAT is the way to go to get the power. On these cars, I would say turbo is the way to go. Hard to find a blower that will work.
Old 01-07-2005 | 05:51 AM
Advanced

ay if you take out you ac and powersteerind and messed with the ecu and redo your timing youll gain horsepower. also ever thought of port and polish. remember our cars are obd2 the best way to gain more horses and torque after mods is to mess with the ecu.
Old 01-07-2005 | 02:05 PM
Registered Driver

Hmm, what about something better for the fuel system too, new (higher flowing/more consistant/stronger) fuel pump, crap like that?
Old 01-07-2005 | 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by UnsanePyro
Hmm, what about something better for the fuel system too, new (higher flowing/more consistant/stronger) fuel pump, crap like that?
Its only needed for cars that use forced induction (turbo / supercharger )