AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G TL (1996-1998) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tl-1996-1998-101/)
-   -   key stuck in ignition (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tl-1996-1998-101/key-stuck-ignition-565285/)

sindaygostl 12-11-2004 02:32 AM

key stuck in ignition

just wanna know if you guys have this prob. it just happened last night. couldn't get the key out of the ignition. the key's original, not a copy so i dont know whats up with it.

spooky3ce 12-11-2004 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by sindaygostl
just wanna know if you guys have this prob. it just happened last night. couldn't get the key out of the ignition. the key's original, not a copy so i dont know whats up with it.

The teeth might be wearing out... I have the same problem... i thought it was the ignition... but no, my key is just over-used... I heard somewhere else on this thread from another member that you can take your car to the dealer and they can get you another key according to your VIN or something... I might have to check it out...

About the key getting stuck... i have the same problem, just sit in your driver seat... Click the ingnition back into the Power (not sure if thats what its called)

1st - OFF
2nd - Aux.
3rd - Power :dunno:
4th - the car is on...

Put the key in the 3rd position and then flip it back to the 1st position while pushing the key towards the steering colum... thats what i do when it give me a hard time and it works for me... :dunno:

wackjum 12-11-2004 11:30 AM

This might be too obvious but I've made the mistake of trying to remove the key in nuetral. You can only take it out in Park.

Ken1997TL 12-11-2004 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by sindaygostl

Try turning the steering wheel.

dubcnea 12-11-2004 05:08 PM

the dealer can cut you a brand new key, crisp and sharp using your VIN for like 5 or 10 bux. i'm going to have 2 made when i get my timing belt done. my orig. key is kind of worn as well. i just talked to the dealer and he told me the info. well worth i think. :)

vishnus11 12-11-2004 06:27 PM

when the steering wheel lock engages, i some times have trouble turning key. Like ken said, try turning wheel slightly, then take key out. BTW, which position is it stukc in ; OFF, ACC, ON, or CRANK???

sindaygostl 12-11-2004 10:13 PM

Thanks Guys I Tried All Of Your Suggestions Except The Dealer Part(appointments Only). I Had No Choice But To Call A Locksmith It Cost Me $25. He Said That Everything Good. Key Is Not Bent Or Whatever, He Said The Cause Of The Problem Was Theres Things Hanging On My Key, I Had A Pager Alarm The Stock Alarm And All This Other Stuff Hangin On It. He Flushed It With Some Lub. And All These Black Stuff Came Out. Now Its Smoother Than Before

dubcnea 12-12-2004 12:18 AM

awesome! glad you got it figured out :)

spooky3ce 12-12-2004 02:43 AM

:hide:

Note of advice for everyone... DON'T do the girly thing of having billions of keychains etc... I carry three seprate pair of keys... one is my car key (notice the singularity) to my Acura with only 1 Key Chain that says Acura... another is for my 2 Cadillac keys with only 1 Key chain that says Cadillac, left in the center compartment of my TL... and my work keys to open the office etc...

Congratz by the way on finding out the problem to your stuck key... Flush out the hole huh... might have to look into that, might be the same problem i'm having... :thumbsup:

sindaygostl 12-12-2004 06:08 AM

Oh I Forgot To Tell You Fellas, Dont Use That Wd-40 Lub. He Told Me To Use Tri Flow Its A Black Bottle, Thats All I Remember