Just Got A 95 Tl

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Got A 95 Tl

I picked up a sweet 95 tl from the auction for $4,300. It has 170,000 miles though. Did I pay too much. Also, the check engine icon stays on, and the abs light stays on (I can hear the abs module from under the hood making a buzzing noise for a few seconds at a time).
I'll post pics probably tommorrow.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Instructor

i have a 96 and i believe my ABS light burned out. my module is noisy as well so i just took out the ABS motor fuse.. screw abs u dont need it. did u hook ur ecu to a scanner? if so what codes?

btw my has 140,000 when i bought it and i paid 2,000 all it needed was a pait job but my leather is warned out pretty bad.

i think u over paid dude... how is the engine running... tranny still good? any other problems with the car?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:28 PM
veo
Instructor

nick how did you take out the ABS motor fuse? i got the same problem with it making noise.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nick96acuratl
i have a 96 and i believe my ABS light burned out. my module is noisy as well so i just took out the ABS motor fuse.. screw abs u dont need it. did u hook ur ecu to a scanner? if so what codes?

btw my has 140,000 when i bought it and i paid 2,000 all it needed was a pait job but my leather is warned out pretty bad.

i think u over paid dude... how is the engine running... tranny still good? any other problems with the car?
i dont think he overpaid....its just that YOU got a good deal on a sweet ride.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:43 AM
Banned

That's cool. Rare you see 95's around.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:37 AM
Registered Driver

Originally Posted by vishnus11
i dont think he overpaid....its just that YOU got a good deal on a sweet ride.
I think that is overpaying, considering the ABS doesn't work, and also the CEL being on, and the high milage. If they all turn out the be minor easy fixes though, then I think the deal is better. It is a risk I wouldn't have taken though.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:17 PM
-glock security-

i heard that 95 was the first year and they had alot of bugs but they were all worked out for 96
Old 04-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Advanced

YEah, the engine runs like a champ, no other problems. You paid $2000..Man, tthats an extremely good deal.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Advanced

After registration, i paid $4,700. Should I get the codes and fix the ecu and abs, then sell tthe car? I want a tl with way lower miles, that way i could pimp her out with rims, taillights, etc.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GBINKSTER
After registration, i paid $4,700. Should I get the codes and fix the ecu and abs, then sell tthe car? I want a tl with way lower miles, that way i could pimp her out with rims, taillights, etc.
Mine got 198k and runs excellent. I am planning to keep it until the wheels fall off.
If your engine and transmission are in good conditions, you may want to keep it and get some usage out of it before thinking of selling it.
But, check the CLE code first and you will have an idea how much the repair going to cost.
AutoZone will do a free scan.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by veo
nick how did you take out the ABS motor fuse? i got the same problem with it making noise.
next to the ABS there is a small fuse box.. it says ABS on it. cant miss it.. there are few fuses in there.. take out one of them.. 15amp fuse. i did that and it never bothered me again..
Old 04-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jerseydriver
i heard that 95 was the first year and they had alot of bugs but they were all worked out for 96
i believe my is a 95 as well... thats whats on the door but when i went to the dealer.. they are like son they began making 2.5 TL in 96 so i was like w/e so 96 then
Old 04-19-2005, 11:05 PM
veo
Instructor

next to the ABS there is a small fuse box.. it says ABS on it. cant miss it.. there are few fuses in there.. take out one of them.. 15amp fuse. i did that and it never bothered me again..

thanks nick. i'll try to remove the 15amp fuse.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:23 PM
Advanced

i believe my is a 95 as well... thats whats on the door but when i went to the dealer.. they are like son they began making 2.5 TL in 96 so i was like w/e so 96 then
IS there a fuse for the check engine light?
Old 04-20-2005, 05:42 PM
TL no more!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the car to Autozone and let them check what the light is for. It could be something small.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Instructor

IS there a fuse for the check engine light?
no. check engine light can only be turned off by removing ur battery post.. or erased with a scanner.. do this take the negative side post out and keep it out for 10 seconds.. it should make the check engine light go away.. if it does come back which it probably will go have it checked out.. sometimes when u leave ur gas cap loose or maybe a fault reading accoured checj engine will come on.. if ur check engine light ever flashed on u.. u should immediately take it to a repair shop..

always good to try..
Old 04-20-2005, 10:35 PM
veo
Instructor

nick, it worked! the ABS noise is gone. The down side is now the TCS light stays on. is there a connection? or did i just loosen the TCS fuse by accident when removing the ABS fuse?
Old 04-20-2005, 10:55 PM
TL no more!

Veo, do you have the ABS light on all the time?? If you do, then there's probably a problem with either the modulator or the accumluator. If you don't have the light on all the time other than just starting the car, then the noise is completely normal. I usually get that whenever I start the car. If you pulled the ABS fuse, then the TCS light will come on. It makes sense because the TCS relies on the ABS to control the traction of your driving wheels.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by WolfpackBill
Veo, do you have the ABS light on all the time?? If you do, then there's probably a problem with either the modulator or the accumluator. If you don't have the light on all the time other than just starting the car, then the noise is completely normal. I usually get that whenever I start the car. If you pulled the ABS fuse, then the TCS light will come on. It makes sense because the TCS relies on the ABS to control the traction of your driving wheels.
Hey wolfpack, here's one for you. Sometimes the ABS light will come on and stay on for the entire drive. Sometimes It will not come on at all.
Also, I tried what nick said and took out the 15 amp fuse in the abs box, but the abs light stayed on.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Advanced

my car

Here are the pics of my car.
This is mt first time posting pics. If you cant see them, can you tell my how to post without having to click on a url( i think thats what it's called)??

Old 04-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Advanced

damn i should have made them smaller.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Str8 Rida

they came wit tha clear bumper lights?? looks good, clean
Old 04-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up

no. check engine light can only be turned off by removing ur battery post.. or erased with a scanner.. do this take the negative side post out and keep it out for 10 seconds.. it should make the check engine light go away.. if it does come back which it probably will go have it checked out.. sometimes when u leave ur gas cap loose or maybe a fault reading accoured checj engine will come on.. if ur check engine light ever flashed on u.. u should immediately take it to a repair shop..

always good to try..
Hey thanks nick. I disconnected the battery and the check engine light went off. However I took all 3 fuses in the abs box and the abs light still stays on. How about that abs relay motor? The little bronze colored one. Would that need to be replaced maybe. If so, how much do they cost.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Hey thanks nick. I disconnected the battery and the check engine light went off. However I took all 3 fuses in the abs box and the abs light still stays on. How about that abs relay motor? The little bronze colored one. Would that need to be replaced maybe. If so, how much do they cost.
ABS will stay on until u fix the problem.. all three fuses wasnt necessary.. i dont think its worth fixing though ABS usually is very costly.. dont touch that fuse.. Your abs seem to work but ur pump just a little noisy.. tell u the truth u dont really need it. If the engine light comes back on.. have it scanned and if not to expensive fixed.. thats ur main concern now.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:45 PM
veo
Instructor

my TCS light has been on since removing the ABS fuse. Does the TCS light being on have any effect on the engine? I heard it can drain engin power.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by veo
my TCS light has been on since removing the ABS fuse. Does the TCS light being on have any effect on the engine? I heard it can drain engin power.
hmm is there a switch for the TCS... cause i know some cars u can disengage when u dont want it.. it does take some power people say.. some say uses more gas.. i dont have TCS on my car.. hmm i dont know now... i dont know anymore...did u put it back to see if it goes away? (the fuse)
Old 04-24-2005, 03:28 PM
veo
Instructor

i don't want to put the fuse back in because the annoying sound will come back from the ABS. i was thinking of taking out the TCS fuse as well. i don't mind having ABS and TCS lights on. i just want to avoid the annoying sound without damaging the engine. whats your opinion on taking out the TCS fuse? will that ensure that TCS is off and not draining my engine?
Old 04-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Advanced

I disconnected the negative post to clear the check engine light..That worked. But now, my engine is idling a little irregular, like it drops down too low.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Advanced

Hey nick, disconnecting the battery worked to clear the check engine light but now my engine is idling a little low.
Also, i went to autozone to rent the scanner to check codes, but i dont know where to hook it up. All i know is there is supposed to be a plug under the steering wheel.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Hey nick, disconnecting the battery worked to clear the check engine light but now my engine is idling a little low.
Also, i went to autozone to rent the scanner to check codes, but i dont know where to hook it up. All i know is there is supposed to be a plug under the steering wheel.

its not under the steering wheel... look in front of the shifter there is a coin try.. or urs can be a ash tray.. ist under there... make sure u dont do anything stupid.. hook it up and make sure its secure then turn it on and the ignition... then check them and before u take it out turn the ignition to off.. hope this helped
Old 04-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by veo
i don't want to put the fuse back in because the annoying sound will come back from the ABS. i was thinking of taking out the TCS fuse as well. i don't mind having ABS and TCS lights on. i just want to avoid the annoying sound without damaging the engine. whats your opinion on taking out the TCS fuse? will that ensure that TCS is off and not draining my engine?

umm veo when the TCS is off u get more power from the engine to the wheels and the rmp drops. when TCS is when u waste more gas and loose some power.. dont touch the fuse thats not the problem but do put the abs fuse in and check if the TCS light goes away... then take it out again thats what i meant...
Old 04-24-2005, 05:51 PM
Instructor

The coin tray should just pop out with no problem dont be scared to pull it
Old 04-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Instructor

I disconnected the negative post to clear the check engine light..That worked. But now, my engine is idling a little irregular, like it drops down too low.

thats weird..should not happen... even after driving the car was it still idling irregular
also by taking out the negative battery terminal u have deleted the codes. i dont think the scanner will be much help unelss the check engine like came back on
Old 04-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Advanced

[QUOTE=nick96acuratl]thats weird..should not happen... even after driving the car was it still idling irregular
also by taking out the negative battery terminal u have deleted the codes. i dont think the scanner will be much help unelss the check engine like came back on[/QUOTe
Bro, as i was going in reverse, it was still idling weird. But after some time the idling seemed to go away. My car's playing tricks on me. Hey thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:42 PM
TL no more!

Dude, take it to Autozone and do a free computer scan. Find out what the problem is and report back here. You can't just disconnect the battery and see the problem go away.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Advanced

Dude, take it to Autozone and do a free computer scan. Find out what the problem is and report back here. You can't just disconnect the battery and see the problem go away.
Goint to autozone today. Will report back later.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Advanced

IS this bad news?

O.K. So i went to auto zone and scanned for codes.
2 codes came up:
1) PO40 I think it was transmission
2)P400 i think. It said tcc or tss ( transmission control ...)
Old 05-05-2005, 03:11 PM
TL no more!

P0400 is a code for the EGR
I don't know what your other one is because that's not the whole code.

Here's a link for codes:

http://www.obdii.com/codes.html
Old 05-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Advanced

P0400 is a code for the EGR
I don't know what your other one is because that's not the whole code.

Here's a link for codes:

http://www.obdii.com/codes.html
It wasnt po40. It is P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction
Old 05-06-2005, 02:12 PM
TL no more!

Ok...how does the tranny shift? Is it like normal or does it shift weird? Is your D4 light blinking or is it off? I have a few options but my serive manual doesn't have P0700 listed.