Just bought a 3.2 TL - Few things are wrong

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 05:34 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a 3.2 TL - Few things are wrong

I just bought a 1996 3.2 TL and it has a couple things wrong with it. I wanted to get them fixed but I do not have much money to spare, so I am looking for any cheap alternatives to the Acura dealership which is quoting me an arm and a leg for any of these to be fixed.

1. My drivers door power lock does not work. If I lock or unlock on the remote, every door locks or unlocks besides the drivers door. I just use the key so the actual lock is not busted, just the power lock. Also, will this give my alarm any problems going off?

2. My cup holder cover will not close. It seems like the hinge is broken off.

3. I do not have a cover over my ashtray compartment.

The most important is the power lock issue for me right now. If anyone knows a cheap mechanic around PG or Montgomery County Maryland who knows Acuras well please let me know.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:35 AM
Instructor

Acura quoted me $300-400 to fix my cup holder and my ashtray compartment.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
The entire cup holder deal comes out for cleaning. So I'm sure you can get that thing replaced for less than 300. The same goes for the ashtray. Underneath the ashtray is the OBD II hookup.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:56 PM
fight ninja! ya!

My cupholder has the same problem as Rumble. I got quoted $165.00 (approx. $120.99 USD) from my dealer.

I might jump on this. Seems like a lot lower than what you guys are getting quoted on. Maybe I could stock up and get a group order goin. :P
Old 06-21-2004, 11:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rumble
3. I do not have a cover over my ashtray compartment.
You might have the coin tray then. I know for the fact that my TL (same year) came with the ashtray, but not the coin tray. That or you don't have either.

Also, about the driver's side door lock problem, it could just be a loose connector if only the 'power' lock/unlock doesn't work.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:43 PM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(1) go and get a clifford alarm installed for $175, that will give u an alarm with no probs for life of car and most places will fix ur door lock as part of install

(2) goto junk yard for other stuff and buy it for $20
Old 06-22-2004, 05:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by oulaw29
(1) go and get a clifford alarm installed for $175, that will give u an alarm with no probs for life of car and most places will fix ur door lock as part of install

(2) goto junk yard for other stuff and buy it for $20
Why should I get a Clifford Alarm? Is it better than the stock one? If so, in what ways?
Old 06-30-2004, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Okay... Great news, I found a junk yard somewhere down South that had the ash tray cover and a full cup holder compartment for my TL. I ordered the parts and they should be here in a few days.

Does anyone know how to attach the ash tray's cover and remove the cup holder and place a new one in?

Do they just snap out? I really suck with this kind of stuff and don't want to screw up my new car.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i would take apart ur driver door to see if there is power going to the noid for that power lock on the door... otherwise i would also check to see if the switch is still good... maybe there was a short that just affected it..
Old 07-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Advanced

The ashtray cover is just held on by a couple pins on the sides. Just carefully pry the sides out and slide it over the pins. There's supposed to be a spring, too, but I imagine you probably don't have that.

Cupholder: Remove the ashtray; you will see two screws underneath it. Remove them. Then, with a thin, flat tool, pry up the black plastic shifter surround. Next, go to the left side of the console carpet, near where your right leg rests. That little section of carpet actually opens like a little door. Open it and you will be able to see the wire harness for the cigarette lighter - unhook it.

Then, using the opening around the shifter as a handle, begin to pull up the console. The hardest part is the rearmost section - there's a pretty large tab you have to clear. You WILL be bending this thing to get it out, just be slow and careful. Once it's free, you'll need to lift your e-brake all the way to get it off entirely. Flip that whole piece over and the cupholder is held on by screws. Remove, replace, reassemble.

Any problems, LMK. Maybe I can take some digi-pics of the process if you need.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sonicblue
The ashtray cover is just held on by a couple pins on the sides. Just carefully pry the sides out and slide it over the pins. There's supposed to be a spring, too, but I imagine you probably don't have that.

Cupholder: Remove the ashtray; you will see two screws underneath it. Remove them. Then, with a thin, flat tool, pry up the black plastic shifter surround. Next, go to the left side of the console carpet, near where your right leg rests. That little section of carpet actually opens like a little door. Open it and you will be able to see the wire harness for the cigarette lighter - unhook it.

Then, using the opening around the shifter as a handle, begin to pull up the console. The hardest part is the rearmost section - there's a pretty large tab you have to clear. You WILL be bending this thing to get it out, just be slow and careful. Once it's free, you'll need to lift your e-brake all the way to get it off entirely. Flip that whole piece over and the cupholder is held on by screws. Remove, replace, reassemble.

Any problems, LMK. Maybe I can take some digi-pics of the process if you need.
Thanks a lot man, it really helped. I'm pretty confident I can do the ash tray cover but the cup holder process is really making me uneasy. I don't think I can do that myself without screwing something up. Is there any way to relpace just the lid that goes over the cup holders? That's the only real thing that is messed up on mine - the lid's hook broke off and it wont close.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Banned

"1. My drivers door power lock does not work. If I lock or unlock on the remote, every door locks or unlocks besides the drivers door. I just use the key so the actual lock is not busted, just the power lock. Also, will this give my alarm any problems going off?"

...DUDE.. check the battery in the remote, yes.. the car remote that's attached to the keys... this happened to me before. I have a 1999 3.2 TL-P .. before wasting money on getting anything fixed.. at least try changing the battery first.!!!
Old 02-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
^ dude.. this is 2 years old....
Old 02-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by KADAW
^ dude.. this is 2 years old....
heheh
Old 02-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Old 02-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
solution i took...

i had the same two problems, driver side door wouldnt lock, and the cup holder wouldnt close..after analyzing the lock, i noticed while it would try to open it gets stuck halfway and then switches itself to off position...sprayed some lube between the locks forced to open and close a few times and its ok now, the same with the cup holder, seems like to hinges dont like to be sticky...spray some water or lube for a plastic and close and open it a few times..remember the opening can only be done from the very middle right if it doesnt pop open the first time push on the extreme left to force it.

had same symptoms and this worked for me, im not sure if ur prob is more complex.