Ideas for Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:43 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
Ideas for Mods

I ran out of idea for mods that i should do i need some help...cuz i kno that every1 on here has a shit load of them..lol
Old 07-11-2007, 08:58 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
What do you have so far?????
Old 07-11-2007, 09:02 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
What do you have so far?????
i got system & shift plate
Old 07-11-2007, 09:22 PM
60mph Soapbox Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
these are all ideas i've come up with except the auto-closing sunroof, that goes to zapwizard (http://www.zapwizard.com enter site, go to projects, scroll down to car modding), check his site for other car mods on his mazda.

if you can't tell, I'm studying to be an electrical/computer engineer. Not so good with mechanical.

sunroof that auto-closes when it detects rain or high humidity
stereo system that increases volume as speed increases (to compensate for our massive wind noise)
dials that change color based on speed/RPM/fuel level/temperature
fading lights
windows that auto-roll up at a certain speed to save gas
mod the rear seat so the entire seat folds forward, giving us more trunk space (not sure about feasibility)
radar scanner completely built into dash/center console
White LED conversion for all interior/convenience lights (saves energy, brighter, longer life)
Old 07-11-2007, 09:37 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you!

My old Pioneer head unit would turn up with the road noise increasing called ASP or ASL or something like that.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by jerm1386
mod the rear seat so the entire seat folds forward, giving us more trunk space
Good luck on that, you'd need a completely new custom rear seat plus a way of chopping off entire reinforcing pieces of the unibody.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:13 AM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
^ Not a good idea, IMO. Big, I'm surprised that you've run out of ideas after one thing chromed and a sound system.

~Cheers~
Old 07-12-2007, 08:04 AM
60mph Soapbox Racer

More Ideas

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Good luck on that, you'd need a completely new custom rear seat plus a way of chopping off entire reinforcing pieces of the unibody.
Hmm well if it would be that much work then the increased space would not be worth it. It was just an idea I had last night after trying to shove my mountain bike into the trunk. I had to remove both wheels and the seatpost, and with the bike in the trunk I really can't put much else back there

Adding to the list of new (as far as I know) ideas. Bad ideas still included, and all are for convenience/aesthetics rather than performance
  • Auto headlights(on if you switch them on manually, but auto if they're switched 'off) would turn on when our handy light sensor isn't detecting enough light. Obviously there would need to be a signal filter to avoid the headlights flashing on and off quickly when you're driving near trees. Along the same lines, dim the gauge lights when outside light goes down
  • Battery voltage detection/cutoff circuit that runs its own fuse box. For all your devices that can run whenever the car's on, this will shut them off when the car's battery reaches a critical level (only when the car is not running). Also would require a filter, as those without capacitors on their stereos could otherwise find their equipment shutting off on powerful bass hits
  • Quick-release front seats for speedy removal. for vacuuming and other cleaning, mounting of objects beneath the seats, etc. I know this is probably another bad idea safety-wise and the bolts we have right now aren't inconvenient at all. It would be nice, though, if the wire harnesses were mounted such that bolting the seat on aligned them and made the proper connections without having to clip it in yourself.
  • Sunglasses holder in place of the current paper holder by the rear-view mirror
  • Make our entire steering wheel center a horn button (Not recommended due to the fact that it would mean tampering with where the airbag is)
  • If the above is accomplished, turn the 2 horn buttons into volume/lighting buttons
  • Some sort of rear windshield cleaner
  • Turn signal LED's mounted inside the side mirrors so that the rim around the mirror is illuminated (also not recommended; this could play havoc with your eyes if you're trying to use that mirror, plus the mirrors are hard to remove)
  • Move the OBD connector to a more convenient location; at least I'm assuming that's what's beneath our coin tray
  • Give ALL windows a one-press rolldown feature (maybe even rollup, too)
  • Light the window switches. I always accidentally roll down the rear windows when I'm driving at night
  • An all-lights killswitch (I don't want to waste the battery when I have all my courtesy lights on everywhere while vacuuming the car).
  • Make the ignition keyhole light stay on just a few seconds longer, and have it fade out
  • Actually, let no interior light switch hard, have them all fade
  • Rewire the cigarette lighter so it provides power all the time (but connect it through the battery detector)
  • Integrate a power inverter so you always have a 120V outlet available

Unfortunately my senior project and my list of home/apartment projects come first.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:51 AM
大日本帝国

[1]Turn signal LED's mounted inside the side mirrors so that the rim around the mirror is illuminated (also not recommended; this could play havoc with your eyes if you're trying to use that mirror, plus the mirrors are hard to remove)
[2]Move the OBD connector to a more convenient location; at least I'm assuming that's what's beneath our coin tray
[3]Give ALL windows a one-press rolldown feature (maybe even rollup, too)
[4]Light the window switches. I always accidentally roll down the rear windows when I'm driving at night
[5]Make the ignition keyhole light stay on just a few seconds longer, and have it fade out
[6]Actually, let no interior light switch hard, have them all fade
[7]Rewire the cigarette lighter so it provides power all the time (but connect it through the battery detector)
[8]Integrate a power inverter so you always have a 120V outlet available
OK, of these select mods from the list, here are my responses:

1: There's a model specific kit in Japan that adds an LED arrow to our mirrors like the larger SUVs.

2: There really isn't a better location since the OBDII bus is too slow for performance tuning, and that location is easier to access compared to some other cars.

3: Had this "feature" (auto up and down) in our Nissan Quest van and it was a PITA. Never could get it to the right position.

4: Not a bad idea at all, although if commercially available, I wouldn't be rushing out to pick it up.

5: 100uF cap on the positive side will take care of it.

6: Same as #5.

7: Good idea, but I believe someone has done that (minus the battery voltmeter box).

8: I did this in my little sister's Ford Escape. 4 cigarette lighter sockets, voltmeter with coloured voltage gauge, 2 120v AC ports (300W) up front, additional 2 AC ports in the rear supporting 1000W, and an additional 12v socket in the rear. Each had a separate cut-off switch to prevent accidental power drain since, as you can imagine, she didn't check the voltmeter too much.

~Cheers~
Old 07-12-2007, 12:51 PM
60mph Soapbox Racer

lol I think you spoiled your sister a bit

Thanks for the feedback, man!

I probably wouldn't be using the OBD bus for tuning (I'm really not looking to make this car louder/faster/more powerful/much more expensive) anyways, just hooking it into a laptop to keep tabs on the car during trips.

Yea I guess 7 wasn't really an original idea - I've been in other cars where it's always powered and it just seems like that's the way it should be.

another thing could be to add cupholders to the fold-down armrest in the rear seat (I want to say people have done this but I'm not sure). Had the car only 2 weeks and already I've had that complaint

and can anybody think of a good use for the ash tray in the back of the center console? I feel like it would be a good place for a power or signal jack of some kind, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open

sorry to semi-hijack the thread, Big Balla. I wish there were a compiled list of unique mods that everyone has done - that would probably help both of us.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:04 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Originally Posted by Go90go
^ Not a good idea, IMO. Big, I'm surprised that you've run out of ideas after one thing chromed and a sound system.

~Cheers~
the only reason y i've ran out of ideas is because i'm 17 so i got a limited budget and where i live there aren't any places really to get accessories for your car and if i find a place they don't have anythig that goes with my car.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Balla
the only reason y i've ran out of ideas is because i'm 17 so i got a limited budget and where i live there aren't any places really to get accessories for your car and if i find a place they don't have anythig that goes with my car.
15 with a TL..thats gangsta
Old 07-12-2007, 09:15 PM
大日本帝国

^ He's 17, and desired_speeds is 16 with some basic mods, and a not so basic one. He got it at 15, too.

I probably wouldn't be using the OBD bus for tuning (I'm really not looking to make this car louder/faster/more powerful/much more expensive) anyways, just hooking it into a laptop to keep tabs on the car during trips.
Easier way to do it is with an Apex'i i-Moni. Available in Japan, and sometimes here, it measures mileage, RPM, water temp, etc. Plugs into the OBDII port without issue.

~Cheers~
Old 07-13-2007, 10:30 AM
B A N N E D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn led's, capacitors, resistors, soldering stuff..

Fuckin straight Johnny 5 Mods.

Personally im into ripping the motor out, fabricating suspension, and changing the look of the whole car.

Id leave the interior alone. Maybe get a shift knob, a steering wheel, dvd player/monitor in dash.

Suspension, aero kit, wheels, jdm lights.

unless you got mass money, leave the motor alone and just luxury car it.

Half the ideas in here sound like shit that data kid in goonies would do..
Old 07-13-2007, 02:57 PM
大日本帝国

^ I'm trying to do both, but with all my money going to bringing the car back into running shape, can't afford Canover yet... About your interior ideas, I have my wood grain shift knob which is practically sold to desired since he keeps asking for it, missed a chance to pick up a used MOMO wood grain wheel for $100, and broke my DVD player. I'm going to redo the leather eventually because the driver's side is cracked and shit... I had also wanted to get a JDM driver's seat for the front passenger just so they can have 8 way adjustment, too. I like the idea of rear ass-warmers like Ken has, but it's rare that I take more than one passenger.

~Cheers~
Old 07-13-2007, 03:13 PM
B A N N E D

yea. unless your rear passanger is a colobus monkey to, they have no room anyhow. may as well make those fuckers suffer a cold asshole.

haha
Old 07-13-2007, 03:30 PM
大日本帝国

^ Well, the girls that ride in the car are nice and thin, so no worries on fitting in the back... And hey, the "broken" heater might make things a bit nippy, . Haha!

~Cheers~
Old 07-13-2007, 03:44 PM
B A N N E D

girls in the back seat?

shiiiit. Unless i can fit back there with them which i cant, them hos gonna be up in the front.. Otherwise they are hog tied in the trunk on the way to the nearest dumpster.

haha