HELP! Advice on a '96 TL...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Advice on a '96 TL...

my younger brother is looking at a '96 TL from an auction.. it's the 2.5 TL, with 110k miles..

I think i've read somewhere that the TL has transmissions problembs? Is this true? In short, are there any reasons that my bro should be weary of this vehicle? THANKS..
Old 01-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
I don't think the trans are bad, but they do occasionally have problems. Read the sticky "Common 1st Generation TL Problems" under Problems and Fixes. This covers all problems I've read about.

Carfax report and inspection are recommended if at all possible.

good luck
Old 01-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Racer

The second generation TL is the one with transmission problems not the first gen.
The only problem with the first gen TL are, d4 bulb blown out, crack exhaust manifold(Under warranty also get free tuneup too but at a certain mile),squeeky window when you rool it up/down,passenger side seat shake/rattle,
wind seeps into the driver side door when on the highway, the car makes a rattling sound when it has to accelerate up the hill and thats all I can think of right now. oh yeah, the check engine light always f**king come on. As Im typing this, mine is on now. It comes on for little things like the d4 light is blown out. So I say, f**kit. I'll bring it to the dealer and get it fix when i take it to get a inspection.
I have a theory about luxury cars. My brothers G35 check engine light comes on often too forlittle sh*ts. He takes it to the dealer and gets charged $149 a visit.
I think the companies rig it to make money off of people. Their logics like, if they can afford to pay premium for these cars, they can afford to pay.
My Honda Civic, my mom's Camry, sister's STI never once have the check engine light come on. I thought since Acura is more expensive and luxurious than Hondas, maybe it should get less or no check engine lights at all.
other than that, its a reliable car, well at least for mine because i keep up with the tuneup and sh*t and it hasnt dies on me once yet.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:06 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by Ysidro
I think the companies rig it to make money off of people. Their logics like, if they can afford to pay premium for these cars, they can afford to pay.
My Honda Civic, my mom's Camry, sister's STI never once have the check engine light come on.
No one rigs a CEL. It's a 10 year old 2.5TL, the only premium the car demands at this point is fuel. The CEL does not come on if a bulb blows out, it montiors the emissions control system. It won't come on if there isn't a problem

And FWIW Camry's have perpetual CEL problems in my experience.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Marty_1999Acura3.2TL

I partly agree with “Ysidro”.

Regarding the engine and tranny: My Acura Vigor had the exact same engine as the 96 2.5TL. The Vigor never died on me once. It was a great first car. Sure i had the little problems but nothing ever major for me. The tranny was built strong. I remember that supper fast five-cylinder engine. It looked so complicated with wires and tubes everywhere. Fun car to drive. I say buy it. At least you don’t need to worry about the major second generation tranny problem.

Question: Because it’s an auction, would they let you have a full inspection? If they don’t, DON’T LET YOUR BROTHER BUY IT.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the reason why check engine light comes on is if you dont use premium gas or if you don't tighten the gas cap to at least 3 clicks. Or i guess if you dont change out the oil..
Old 01-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Racer

if by "full inspection," you mean take the car to a mechanic and lift it and stuff like that.. then no.

but while there, you are free to check the cars out as extensively as you want.. i'm not sure, but i THINK my bro said they let you test drive them. i don't think so.. but he went last week, and that's what he said. i'm actually going to go meet him up right now, and hopefully help him out.. thanks for the advice you guys! even though i didn't get a tsx (opted for a used 'stang instead), i still visit this site because it's so informative and acuras are great cars. take it easy...
Old 01-25-2006, 09:04 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by TLBaller
the reason why check engine light comes on is if you dont use premium gas or if you don't tighten the gas cap to at least 3 clicks. Or i guess if you dont change out the oil..
Not using premium or changing the oil won't trigger a CEL. But not tightening the gas cap will.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Racer

It won't come on if there isn't a problem
Exactly. I agree. Thats what CEL are for. However, for a car thats $30G-up that carries an Acura badge, I wish it would have lessor defects. I mean its okay if the windows squeeks or wind coming in the driver door,I can live with that. I can always mod the thing if the dealer doesn't give a sh*t. But a major problem like emissions and transmission failure in the second gen TL, that kind of stuff shouldn't be happening. I sure hope the third gen TL dont experience these kind of problems. I like to update my car someday.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
use the lowest grade and see
Old 01-26-2006, 04:43 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Anyone who believes the CEL will come on if 87 octane gas is used needs a crash course in OBD systems.