Headlight baking

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 01:13 AM
B A N N E D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Headlight baking

THIS IS A MUST FOR YOU GUYS
Im trying to get pics but this turned out ****ing haggard. It looks just like the jdm acura type r one peice headlights with the black inner housing. Very nice looking. One problem tho. The oven we used was small as ****, the light was touching the door when it was closed and it got all up in the doors business and burned the hell out of the top of the light . I need like eyelids now to cover this. It just put some small ripples in the top from where it pushed it into the rack in the oven. It is sealed water tight and ill try to get some pics up soon.

Where can i get ground control coilovers cheap and the eyelids cheap for a 98 3.2 tl
Old 04-21-2002, 03:21 AM
Safety Car

since we can't advertise other places on the board, how about you give me your email
Old 04-21-2002, 12:39 PM
B A N N E D

Roadmisfit138 on AIM

Im on aim all day. aol instant messenger. And my email is hybridboy93@hotmail.com.

Its cake to do actually. You take the headlights out. preheat the oven to 200 degrees. just 200 no more no less. Then you place tin foin on the racks in the oven, take all the rubber seals off the light like the headlight bulb seals and stuff. take the headlight bulbs out too. Then put in the oven for 8 mins. take them out and pry apart. it comes right apart. Then you remove the chrome peice with a screwdriver and the 2x phillips screws. then paint it any color u want put all back together, put the headlight togehther. put back in the oven for 8 mins then push the headlight together hard and youve got a perfectly sealed factory headlight the color u want. Beware only of the headlight touching the bare grate without foil, and the oven door. they will fock it up. Besides that its no more complexthen i descrivbed. I painted mine with flat black rustoleum paint. it doesnt really get too hot in there so you schould be fine with just about anything. beware of red and stuff like that if want that because that would prolly fade. the best color for the true honda look is rustoleum satin finish black.

good luck andy questions hit me up on aim. roadmisfit138.
Old 04-21-2002, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doesn't that lessen the light output from the headlights if the chrome is painted? can you tell the difference?
Old 04-21-2002, 10:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

i dont think it would lessen the light out put at all cause all that outer chrome part is doing it making it look pretty
Old 04-22-2002, 07:26 AM
Racer

Hey colt did you ever sell those springs?
Old 04-22-2002, 08:31 AM
Ex-Mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No it wouldnt lessen the light output since your only painting the chrome trim, not the bulb reflector.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:58 AM
B A N N E D

the lights and springs...

The painting did not by any means lessen the output from he bulbs. While i was doing this i removed the yellow condom deals and the glare guards in the fog lights as well. When i painted the light i did not paint any of the inner headlight assembly reflector. The inner part that has mirrored edges and angles is the part that produces the beam from the headlight bulb. I didnt tamper with this, i mearly painted the corney chrome part. The car now has converted its appearance from some cheezy apc looking ultra chrome deals to a more ellegant looking special model looking headlight.

As for the springs im still setting here on them, let me know i guess 3.2 tl 96-98 eibach pro kit. 200 jibbralties.

I need some focking eyelids now tho cause the oven i used was too small and chared the top of the light. Whats the cheapest and the best place to get some quality eyelids and are we talking like a 3 year wait for them. I need the STAT.

TIA
Good luk with the headlights
im doing the factory taillights next. Hopefully i can have some instructions so u heads dont all have to pay 450 for dem inspire rigs.
Old 04-22-2002, 12:03 PM
Ex-Mod

The only place to get eyelids that I know of is www.value-caraudio.com. I like the Value ones the best. They cost $145 and probably about $60 to ship since they're imported from Japan. Shipping time is probably like 2-3 weeks.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:25 PM
Burning Brakes

got pics?
Old 04-22-2002, 04:35 PM
Instructor

Damn you guys are crazy... i cant take those risks But geez i'll be sure to try it out now, thanks a bunch for the info !
Old 04-23-2002, 04:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

ah icic, i would do it, but i'm scared the whole freaken housing will melt. knowing me, i'm gonna crack the lense and have to go and get a brand new one =P
Old 04-23-2002, 08:54 PM
Instructor

How many screws are holding the head lights in place? I started taking them out and wasnt sure how many bolts there was. I saw 3. And do you hafta take off your bumper to get out the housing ?
Old 04-23-2002, 09:51 PM
Ex-Mod

You have to take off the bumper cover and the actual bumper. What a pain in the ass that was.
Old 04-24-2002, 02:37 PM
B A N N E D

cake walk to do

1.Take the pull tab deals off under your grill holding the front bumper to the core support.

2.Take the phillips/6mm screw out of each fenderwell holding the bumper off.

3. take the 4 10 mm bolts off the fenderlinder holding the fenderliner to the front bumper

4. pull the bumper off and disconnect the turnsignals

5. next remove the 6 12 mm bolts holding the bumper reinforcement to the coresupport, and begin undoing the 3 10 mm bolts on the underneath side of the headlight

* note, to remove the bumper steel support you must first remove all headlight bolts then the support you pull up on to un-notch it. then you remove

6. Then remove the 10 mm x2 bolts on top of the headlight holding the light to the core support, and disconnect all the lights from it

7. preheat the oven on bake for 180-200 200 will make them softer and easier to pull apart but you bake them for less time at 200 (like 6-7 mins,

8. Remove all lightbulbs and rubber seals from the headlight assy and place fooil on the oven racks so its less prone to burn touching the grills if you have a andre the giant steriod powered oven

9. put dem headlights in there so the lenses(clear part) are not touching anything and bake for 6-8 minutes till the rubber chit is soft (remember to take off the 2 metal clamps holding the lense to the housing also

10. Remove from the oven and get a buddy to help you pry apart and cut the sticky tac looking grey stuff with a razorblade. Dont scrape any of this off or move it from where it is, just cut it apary when it stretches so you can cut through it.

11. pry gently up on tabs while prying each "vector" at a time. then place the lense in a safe spot. DONT TOUCH THE INSIDE OF THE HEADLIGHT REFLECTOR EITHER UNLESS U LIKE FINGERPRINTS, PRETEND THEY ARE OAKLEY SUNGLASSES.

12.take the 2 phillips screws holding the junkass chrome inner deal to the lense. and then remove the 3 phillips screws on each glass foglight lense. gently from the bottom, pry thr cornerlight plastic peices off.

13. paint that mo fo green, yellow, purple, hot pink, whatever the hell you want to paint it with. and let cure.

14. repeat the install same way. * note the inner housing you just painted goes in from the cornermarker side first. and when you put the corner clear deal back into the newly painted housing make sure to be careful or you'll scratch the new paint. If you scratch get a toothpic with some paint on it and touch up gently.

15. when it comes time to reseal the lights and complete them back together, with the oven preheated allready put the headlights together as far as you can with the headlight cold and the sticky tac stuff dry and then place in the preheated oven

6-8 mins depending on how risky you want to be. then press them backtogether and use a screwdriver to pop the snaps back into place. then put the 2 metal deals back onto the headlight and put into the car.

walla u got some jd headlights, if you have left over parts sorry but you are most likely special ed.

a few items i may add for personal refrence to ypou after i did mine

a. if the oven isnt preheated, DONT PUT THEM IN THERE
B. DONT TRY TO MASK OFF THE CORNERLIGHT, PAINT BEHIND THE LENSE BLACK AND PUT THE CLEAR LENSO ON IT. With chrome behind the corner lense it looks like ****
c. take the rubber seals off overtop of the corners and reattach with rubber cement.
d.wrap the racks inthe oven with foil or put the lights on a cookie sheet
e. if the headlights hard to get apart , put it back in the oven fore a few, and dont let it cool down before you wrentch on them

if you all liked this, i may want to tell you the ****s identical for the taillights, you can make those 400 dollar ones for like 2 dollars. all you do is the same process and take the orange peice out.
the next step is a decision, you can
a. leave it alone and put back together without the orange peice
b. paint the inside of the taillight with the shineyest bumper chrome u can find and all the reflectors taken out (like a 98+ mustang taillight you know u can see crystal clear to the bulb)
c. or you can get the stuff for overhead florescent lights in celing tiles its like a plastic clear serrated stuff. you just cut it to the exact shape as the orange peice and heat it carefuly with a heat gun and then epoxy or carefully screw it in place to the rear housing and replace the lenses as you did the headlights.

it all looks good whether its a b or c or i wouldnt do it to a 28k car. Beats buying some riceboy parts (tailiights, lightbulbs, bla bla) and saving that cash for mods.

best luck and if anyone needs help and dont repond send me a message on aim instant messanger roadmisfit138, im on at work all day. best luck and glad to help u heads out.

colt
98 3.2tl
Old 04-24-2002, 03:20 PM
Ex-Mod

Originally posted by Colt45
DONT TRY TO MASK OFF THE CORNERLIGHT, PAINT BEHIND THE LENSE BLACK AND PUT THE CLEAR LENSO ON IT. With chrome behind the corner lense it looks like ****
I'm confused there. Are you saying the actual lense comes off but then you have to paint behind it black? Does the light still reflect at night?
Old 04-24-2002, 04:14 PM
B A N N E D

yes it reflects perfect at night even with a black housing in the corner lamp

n/m
Old 04-24-2002, 11:07 PM
Instructor

okay okay... bumper goes where ?