Has anyone installed their own shocks / struts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone installed their own shocks / struts?

I just got some new oem struts and am considering installing them myself (all four). Although I've never done this before, it doesn't look too hard. Anybody ever done this before? Is it that difficult? Anything special I need other than a spring compressor?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Advanced

Oh, by the way, I have a 97 3.2

Travis
Old 03-27-2005, 10:41 AM
LDH
I

Well I haven't done it on the tl yet but I've changed it on a few other cars. The basics are Jack, Jackstands, Spring Compressor, 12,14,17mm sockets/wrenches. Air tools will make it go by even faster also a good friend is a must and some beers will make it go by easier. If you have a garage to work in that's even better. Allen wrench is a must too, because when you try to remove the top hat the sturt shaft will spin unless you hold it in place with an allen wrench.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Hurricane Game

heh, i've changed the strut on my beretta before, and had to have somechange change out the strut from the spring, due to lack of tools. so if you don't have everything, don't try it. i found that out as well with these rotors on my car. heh, if you saw that post....it was hell. eventually i just paid someone to do it. that way, if it gets messed up...their fault. plus they found a bad wheel bearing...something i wouldn't have known was bad. cost more, but i guess it was worth it.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twhitted
Oh, by the way, I have a 97 3.2

Travis
Holy shit. I am Travis too. We are few and far between.

So the strut change should be easy, assuming we have the tools (relatively basic other than a spring compressor) and some help?
Old 03-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Pro

Make sure you have a strut spring compressor. That is the type that compresses the spring on the strut... NOT the regular spring compressor. Wrenches, jack and about 4 hours of your time because the first time is the hardest. A friend and I have been into my suspension about 4 times now due to changes in setup. Now we can do all four corners in about an hour and a half! I'm a mod sucker...
Old 03-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Registered Driver

Anyone have a suggestion for a good compressor? I would rather struggle doing it for half a day than pay someone a couple hundred dollars to do it.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
damn i dunno where u take ur car for service but to change struts, my mechanic only charges me 65$... i have to get them all changed on my corolla... every bump i hit hurts and feels like the wheels are gonna fall off... lolz.. clunkclunk...
Old 03-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Registered Driver

I have never had to have it done, but I figure that a mechanic would charge an arm and a leg to do it, or not want to do it because they are aftermarket parts. I just turned 18 and really don't have any experiance with this sort of thing, especially since most people aren't really into their cars around here, other then a couple civics with big wings...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i ain't comfortable messing with suspension work because i know that one screw up can be deadly... i saw an integra in a video do a flyby, lost it and flipped the car a few times.. all due to an incorrect suspension work... i mean it can be deadly... brakes i know i can change so i can mess with that.. and simple engine mods i can do... but just spend the extra money and buy ur piece of mind...
Old 03-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Advanced

I've been quoted an hour per corner for strut install. Depending on where you have it done, that is $300-$400! That is on top of the $700 you pay for new struts from the dealer. You can rent spring/strut compressors from Kragen or most autoparts stores for about $6 per day. I'd rather learn to do it myself.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Pro

if any of you are in the military or a military dependant you can go to the auto hobby shop on most bases. i changed all 4 shocks and springs to the B+G S3 coilovers two weeks ago. they have all the tools you need and it only cost me $25 to rent out the stalls and use the lift & tools ... it was my first time and it took me about 5hours to do. there are people there that should help you out when your stuck too! oh and to remove the struts and springs from the rear you'll have to remove the back seats...
Old 03-31-2005, 05:05 PM
First Gen 3.2 TL

FYI: if you have a 3.2 and plan on installing the stock springs, DON'T do it yourself. As for me, i've lowered/raised alot of cars in the past. I've done the installs on my car especially... For me, I have a 3.2 and i've installed the eibach springs, ground control coilovers, and the factory springs. If you are planning on installing the stock front springs, i don't recommend it.. I tried the industrial spring compressor, and i still had a hard time getting the springs to compress to add the top perch. ALL the coils have to be pretty much be touching the rest of the coils in order to finish up the job. 1 industrial compresser, and 2 sets of regular compressors(rented from autozone) is what it took me to install the stock front springs. As for the rear springs, they are simple as installing coils on a civic or integra..Good luck..
Old 03-31-2005, 05:53 PM
LDH
I

I completely over looked the fact that he was using stock springs. They're horrible to work with for the reason tlxracer said and also once you get the top hat onto the strut assembly it has to be positioned correctly so the bolts line up on top and the bottom. Once the spring compressor is released you can't turn the top. When I tried to raise my accord for my dad to use as his daily driver I gave up because the stock springs are too hard to work with and just told my dad to use my tl as his daily. Plus my accord looked nicer with a 2.5" drop all around But now I have no car to drive
Old 03-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the warning regarding the front springs. I think I'll do the rears first and get them put back on and then take off the fronts and bring them to my mechanic. He offered to remove and reinstall the springs with their spring compressor. Then I can put the fronts back on the car myself.

Travis
Old 04-04-2005, 02:24 AM
5th Gear

Where you get your struts???

Originally Posted by twhitted
I just got some new oem struts and am considering installing them myself (all four). Although I've never done this before, it doesn't look too hard. Anybody ever done this before? Is it that difficult? Anything special I need other than a spring compressor?

Thanks
My suspension is all messed up and need some new struts. How much did you pay for them and where can I get some? When I get struts do I need to buy anything else?