grounding parking brake wire on navi

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grounding parking brake wire on navi

dont think im this stupid but yeah... i am... my new navi has the "cant drive and watch or reprogram navi" inless the parking brake is up. im getting it installed by a place so there def gonna do this. when i got in the back, find the red/white wire, clip it, and ground it... whats it good to ground to in the back of our unit? can i just put it in a splice clip and clip that to the ground of the stereo? or should i find a screw and actually ground it to the body somewhere? if so... where? ive never been back there. thanks for the help ppl!
Old 05-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I did mine for my headunit, shit, I'd have to check, lol, I forget at the moment (the color) but I just grounded it to the metal frame in the dash you see around the headunit, I think mine was green/white?
Old 05-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
u can just use the ground that the HU uses... tap it straight into that wire... what HU are u gonna be using??
Old 05-20-2006, 06:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
u can just use the ground that the HU uses... tap it straight into that wire... what HU are u gonna be using??
Eclipse AVN-30D which is stock for most cars in 2005 and some 2006 with the old Navi dvd maps. Its the same as the AVN-5435 except my unit has a plug and play for steering wheel remotes and needs a converter for RCA's to the amp. Thats easy shit tho so this one worked for me! got it REAL cheap brand new on ebay. Eclipse even granted me the 3 year warranty if an Eclipse dealer installs it! thats y im getting someone to do it but you know they wont ground the parking brake so im stuck doing that.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Registered Driver

Actually, they probably will ground it properly so that they are not responsible for anything if you were to watch movies while driving.

You want to ground that wire so you can watch stuff while driving, right? Or enter navi destinations or whatever?
Old 05-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by UnsanePyro
Actually, they probably will ground it properly so that they are not responsible for anything if you were to watch movies while driving.

You want to ground that wire so you can watch stuff while driving, right? Or enter navi destinations or whatever?
my i screwed up my writings but thats what i meant. the place will install it correctly so the lock out is ON. im just gonna go in and clip the P.B. red/white wire and just ground it. I just wanted to know if i could use one of them splice clips and clip it to the HU's ground wire or should i ground it seperate to the actual frame of the car or could i use the metal frame around the HU. anyways, thats my intension.... so i can use the navi and watch dvd's and crash lol
Old 05-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator

it doesn't matter where u go as long as it is reading a ground... i would go off the HU ground because it is easiest...
Old 05-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Pro

it doesn't matter where u go as long as it is reading a ground... i would go off the HU ground because it is easiest...
and thats what i wanted to hear! cause it sounds the easiest! next thurday.... expect the pics!!! anyone else gonna get something like this or has something like this?
Old 05-21-2006, 07:52 AM
Registered Driver

Originally Posted by copy252
my i screwed up my writings but thats what i meant. the place will install it correctly so the lock out is ON. im just gonna go in and clip the P.B. red/white wire and just ground it. I just wanted to know if i could use one of them splice clips and clip it to the HU's ground wire or should i ground it seperate to the actual frame of the car or could i use the metal frame around the HU. anyways, thats my intension.... so i can use the navi and watch dvd's and crash lol
I think grounding it with the "PB red/white wire" is what they are going to do, since I'm assuming there will only be current going through it when the parking brake is engaged.

What you want to connect it to is something that is usually grounded, the ground from the HU, the frame, the metal around the headunit, even the latches for the doors could act as grounds (but look a little hack )

And you should be able to use one of those splice clips to clip it tot he HU's ground as long as it is the right size, should just be a matter of choice, however you want to do it
Old 05-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by UnsanePyro
I think grounding it with the "PB red/white wire" is what they are going to do, since I'm assuming there will only be current going through it when the parking brake is engaged.

What you want to connect it to is something that is usually grounded, the ground from the HU, the frame, the metal around the headunit, even the latches for the doors could act as grounds (but look a little hack )

And you should be able to use one of those splice clips to clip it tot he HU's ground as long as it is the right size, should just be a matter of choice, however you want to do it
my plans are using the ground from the HU. ill use a splice clip. thanks for the suggestions!
Old 05-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by copy252
and thats what i wanted to hear! cause it sounds the easiest! next thurday.... expect the pics!!! anyone else gonna get something like this or has something like this?
not on our cars... but i have done plenty of these installs on a few of the Dallas members CL-S... ill post pics when my pic host comes back online...
Old 05-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Pro

not on our cars... but i have done plenty of these installs on a few of the Dallas members CL-S... ill post pics when my pic host comes back online...
that would be awesome man. please do!