Fender Rolling Flares?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004 | 08:47 PM
Rollin'... White 2 seater

Fender Rolling Flares?

I'm looking into getting some dubs or 19"s to keep up with the 2nd generation boys, I have got some great A/V stuff on the way.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...714421702&rd=1 (still don't understand how to post pics, maybe i will join cardomain or something)
But I really want ot get some 20's on that thing thurr. I heard about rolling the fenders and all of that, but I am unsure abot how to do it. I am geting fresh paint around the 27 and would want to get my interior redid in suede Louis vuttion, so putting the car through somemore cosmetics wont hurt. Anybody know how to roll or can guesstimate a fair price for the dirty work?
Old 08-09-2004 | 08:53 PM
giggity giggity giggity

Whoah there. hahaha. Umm, to each his own I guess.

If you are going to get the car repainted, have the shop either roll the fenders or do some widebody work on it..shouldn't be too expensive. I mean, you have all the other expensive stuff, so I guess some wide fenders wouldn't hit the pocket too much.

You can always get out a baseball bat and roll the fenders that way...you can even be tough with it if you are getting the car repainted. I think there is a DIY on here somewhere.
Old 08-09-2004 | 09:03 PM

How do you use a baseball bat to roll the fenders?
Old 08-09-2004 | 10:11 PM
Safety Car

fender flares are not a problem. it is the custom molding of it onto the car that is where the expense is at. I know someone who did it to his 2nd gen TL and it cost..i think he said over a grand. that is after he bought fender flares from ebay.

as for rolling the fenders, you wrap the bat with something soft, such as an old t-shirt or something. stick the bat into the fender gap. have people sit in the trunk and/or back seat to put weight onto the back side until the fender lays on top of the bat. once this is accomplished, lean on the bat while rolling the bat from one end of the fender to the other end. as you do this, make sure you lean on the bat to push the other end of the bat (the part facing the wheel well) upwards. as you do this, it will bend up the little metal part.
Old 08-09-2004 | 10:15 PM
Safety Car

another thing if you do get fender flares you can then go for the VIP look and get the deep dish wheels! Make sure you get the air suspension too. I am dying to see your LV interior. got any pics?
Old 08-10-2004 | 01:18 PM
Racer

Dont use the bat method!!!!! our fenders are plastic and you will damage the well. I took it to a shop to get my fenders "rolled" and all they really did was take a high power rotary tool and shave down the part of the fender that sticks in (have to remove the black rubber protector) I now have 19 motegi DPK (+48 offset i think) rims on my car with the eibach lowering springs. I have a little bit of a rub issuse when people are in the back but it is not serious. I would not recomend 20s due to rubbing and the fact that the car looks lifted. You can see how mine looks at www.inspiredmotorsports.com under gallery acura tl meet. mine is the white one with the five spoke gunmetal rims.
Old 08-10-2004 | 05:59 PM
Safety Car

im dropped on eibach prokit with a +40 offset and have never rubbed. I've even had 2 fat asses sit in the back seat and it didnt rub. i love 2.5's
Old 08-11-2004 | 04:40 PM

Whats up guys, I have pics of my interior TL baller I just haven't setup a membership to one of those car domain sites or anything as of yet. When classes start back on the 23rd and i get my scholarship refund I am doing all most of the work. I was interested in 20 b/c 19's are an off size and in NC if you blow out away from one of the 6major cities your're screwed with specialtiy sizes. How much did you guys pay to get the springs and stuff on. I am new to modifying imports and i know b/c of the civics and intergras that errbody is raising prices and stuff. I like how the rolling fender thing sounded as far as cutting off the plastic piece. I could probably use a dremel tool or something to do that.
thanks for the info, Will post pics asap.
Old 08-11-2004 | 05:07 PM
Safety Car

if you use a dremel tool to cut the piece, it will eventually rust so watch out. springs are about 200+ bucks. i paid 75 bucks for installation of the springs and thats with a hook up. I asked around and a lot of them wanted 200 bucks!

if you get 19's the price of tires on 19's are about the same price as 20's. I say go for 20s only if you get fender flares...you dont want that shit sticking out lowrider style
Old 08-11-2004 | 09:57 PM
Racer

It will not rust because it is not metal! I know because ive had it done now for about 2 years and have lots of wet weather in Oklahoma. And yes id say a high power dremel could do the trick. Consider also that basically anything over 18" becomes a specialty tire. And i think i paid about 150 for my spring install.
Old 08-11-2004 | 10:11 PM
Instructor

I know you guys that do mods are averse to taking your car into the dealership for anything, but my experience has been that Performance Acura in Chapel Hill is the most helpful dealership in North Carolina
Old 08-11-2004 | 10:40 PM
LDH
I

is the suspension install that hard on the tl? i've done a few suspension installations on other cars and it wasn't that bad except you need an impact wrench to get some of those bolts off. I've never looked at the tl's suspension is it that complicated? or do you guys just dont want to mess with it ?
Old 08-11-2004 | 11:29 PM
Safety Car

its just a bit different b/c you have to take out the back seat to get access to the rear shocks. other than that, once you take it out, it is smooth sailing.
Old 08-11-2004 | 11:50 PM
First Gen 3.2 TL

Originally Posted by LDH
is the suspension install that hard on the tl? i've done a few suspension installations on other cars and it wasn't that bad except you need an impact wrench to get some of those bolts off. I've never looked at the tl's suspension is it that complicated? or do you guys just dont want to mess with it ?
installing springs aren't that difficult if you have lowered 90-00 hondas. the tl suspension is quite similar to an integra setup.. one thing that sucks is that you have to remove part of the rear seats..the most important thing you would need a heavy duty spring clamp/compression to decompress the stock coils and to fit the new coils. And for people that might want to do it themselves.. be very careful because the front springs are compressed like crazy... i'm pretty sure some of you guys heard the horror stories of people breaking their jaw or get injured by the coils popping out of cheap compressors...And just to let everyone know... it's really difficult compressing the stock springs on the front struts.. i recommend that a professional installs the front coils. the rear springs are simple..

tools needed:
17mm socket - socket for the front lower strut assembly (bolt/nuts)
14mm socket - socket for nuts keeping the struts in place, for the front strut assembly, and also for the rear lower strut assembly.
10mm and/or 12mm - socket for the front brake lines and rear seat assembly
17mm wrench - socket for the front lower bolt/nuts (to keep the bolt in place while removing the 17mm nut)
heavy duty spring compressor
allen wrench - needed to keep the shock in place while removing the 14mm strut nut(sorry can't remember the size)

i think thats about it.. it's been a while since i messed with my suspension... i hope this helps..

For reference: I first installed eibach prokit and later ground controls on my 3.2TL
Old 08-12-2004 | 12:17 AM
LDH
I

hmm...it's similar to an integra? I've done a 00 Gs-r which did suck. as for removing the seat a lot of cars need that like my accord or my bro's camry. Thanks for the tip on the front springs being really compressed i'll keep that in mind when the shocks get changed because mine are starting to go.