DRL Relay

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002 | 08:02 PM
Instructor

DRL Relay

okay I need all the mechanics to help me out with this one!!

Situation: When I turn on the ignition I hear a buzzing sound coming from the glove compartment area.

Result: Left headlight does not light up (in DRL mode)-DO they even have DRL in the States????

To eliminate the buzzing sound I have to do one of the following:

1) hit the glove compartment area
2) or turn on the headlights

I assume it is the electronic relay, and unfortunately this is not covered in the Warranty. It has nothing to do with the bulb cuz I tested them with new bulbs. And my Dealer will charge $90 bucks an hour just to look at the damn thing.

Does anyone have any idea how I can find this problem? If possible, how can I fix the relay? Help!!

Old 09-10-2002 | 08:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

you might ahve a bad relay , if thats the case then you could just change the relay , but it might not be a standard relay you might either have to search for it or get it from the dealer.
relays are generally cheap if it is just a regular relay then you should ahve no problem
Old 09-11-2002 | 03:05 AM
Instructor

not saying this is the problem but it might be ABS that makes that buzzing sound.......but since your light does not work i second guess it might be a relay......
Old 10-14-2002 | 09:09 AM
Instructor

GOOD NEWS GUYS!

Just to keep you updated. I finally solved the problem. That damn buzzing sound was really annoying.

I found out that it was the RUNNING DAYLIGHT RELAY, that was initially thought.

It was located just behind the glove compartment (I had to removed the glove compartment door to access it).

I opened the relay box and noticed that there was a "cold solder" I guess the heat from the relay damaged the contacts. So all I did was re-solder the relay contacts.

And thats how the problem was solved!! Very simple ..didn't even take an hour. If I brought this to thw Acura Dealer they would have charged me an arm and a leg cuz this was not covered in the extended used car warranty.

And I didn't have to pay for any parts (who knows how much they would charge for that Relay box, afterall it was made in Japan)

Woohooo!
Old 11-09-2003 | 08:40 PM
3rd Gear

I am not sure if this will solve my problem as well,
Once the car is started the Light for DRL (on dash) and high beam indicator (on dash) are ON and stay ON unless I turn the headlights ON, at which both indicator will go OFF.
Is it a relay or fuse!!
--
Shamli
Guelph, CANADA
96 Acura TL2.5
Old 09-22-2005 | 09:33 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TommyTL
GOOD NEWS GUYS!

Just to keep you updated. I finally solved the problem. That damn buzzing sound was really annoying.

I found out that it was the RUNNING DAYLIGHT RELAY, that was initially thought.

It was located just behind the glove compartment (I had to removed the glove compartment door to access it).

I opened the relay box and noticed that there was a "cold solder" I guess the heat from the relay damaged the contacts. So all I did was re-solder the relay contacts.

And thats how the problem was solved!! Very simple ..didn't even take an hour. If I brought this to thw Acura Dealer they would have charged me an arm and a leg cuz this was not covered in the extended used car warranty.

And I didn't have to pay for any parts (who knows how much they would charge for that Relay box, afterall it was made in Japan)

Woohooo!
Great advise on the cold solder. This was driving me crazy until I saw this posting. I am sure I saved a lot of money fixing this one myself.
Old 12-19-2005 | 02:19 PM
Intermediate

I'm having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM in my 97 3.2 TL. I'd like to fix this myself if it's a simple fix, but if there's any chance I'm going to fry my ride then it's not an option. Does anyone have pics/schematics/additional info to make sure I'm doing the right thing? email rwarner929 at hot mail dot com. Thanks!