Dilemma and need some Acurazine help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 12:34 AM
giggity giggity giggity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dilemma and need some Acurazine help

Well, I have been thinking a lot lately and yesterday when I got an oil change I was kinda woken up. A older dude was complimenting me on my car and that I must treat her right to have 145,xxx miles on it. I de-modded the car almost entirely because I wanted something else...something sportier and easier to mod, but now I am thinking I might not want something else.

The car has a lot of miles on it, so if I sell it I will get almost nothing for it. I would be modding it right now but I think the tranny is starting to go, so that is my main drawback.

Should I keep it until it dies and start hooking it up again? Or should I keep it and do nothing to it? Or should I try to sell it and get something else?

If I do keep the car I will keep a close eye on the tranny issue. Also, I am going to need to do some bodywork b/c I have a 8" scratch on the door and about the same length on the rear. The rear bumper needs to be replaced b/c it is dented and has some paint on it (don't know whose), front bumper needs replacing b/c of my brother's carelessness and a ditch (the inside is cracked and the front is craped pretty bad), and there are some dents here and there...

I am thinking about changing the color if I do get the bodywork done b/c the whole car will need repainting. Maybe black or something found on another acura model.

Then, I want to do the whole Inspired bodykit and rims and suspension, maybe a dual exhaust, custom tails. I really dont want to mess with the drivetrain or engine because of the mileage, but some custom things here and there might not be bad.

The interior I want to do a little fiberglass and some releathering, audio craziness

Mainly, I am afraid to put a bunch of $$ into the car and have the tranny go or engine or something major resulting from it's age..

Any thoughts guys? Sorry for the rant, but had to get these thoughts out.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:49 AM
Hurricane Game

few quick things before bed:

import cars actually hold very good resale value. you would get more than nothing from the car even with 145k miles on it. that is nothing for an import (that has been taken care of at least a little).

i would say that if you like the car enough to put the money, time and energy into it, then keep it. is it paid off? if so......no car payment is nice (but a bad habit to get into....not having to pay one that is lol).

the things you are talking about doing to the car (or redoing, whatever the case may be) sounds to me like it will cost plenty. having to replace the tranny or whatever needs to be done should be thought of as semi-routinte maintainance (like a tune-up) and since you know you will probably need it, plan on it. replacing that and having good car is cheaper than spending several thousand on a newer car, etc. just because the tranny could go.

just a few quick thoughts. i'll post more later when i am more awake lol.

but i'm not too tired to know that i do like that avatar. heh, heh....allllllllriiiiiiiiiiight. OH!
Old 01-16-2005, 01:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Drive it until it dies. It has a long life ahead of it if you do minor repairs and maintainence
Old 01-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
See if the mechanics can do anything for the transmission to keep it going. If not, you might want to think about putting in a reman transmission instead of mods. That way, it will last a couple more years until you are making more money in a career or whatever (I don't really know what you're doing), and then you can buy a much newer car.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
dude u are REALLY indecisive with this car aren't you?? lolz i think u asked this question a few times before... MOD that sucker out...
Old 01-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by youngTL
See if the mechanics can do anything for the transmission to keep it going. If not, you might want to think about putting in a reman transmission instead of mods. That way, it will last a couple more years until you are making more money in a career or whatever (I don't really know what you're doing), and then you can buy a much newer car.

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
dude u are REALLY indecisive with this car aren't you?? lolz i think u asked this question a few times before... MOD that sucker out...
Te digo la neta hommie... Want me to tell you the truth dude... from what these two members are saying... you don't really like your car... i think you should do what youngTL is advising... you should waste your cash... what will it be... 2... 3 G's tops... you are 20 right??? you might be going to college right now... have a job... etc... i'm just assuming your economic possition... i think you should fix it up (the tranny to be more specific) and then when its about to die... sell it for what its worth... in a couple of years when you are making a bit more cash... you will still be able to get at at least 5G's for it... thats a down payment for a car you do want...

In my situation... i love my car... regardless... right now its in a shit hole due to suspension problems... but my TL... i'm going to drive her till she croaks... (engine dies)... and when that happens... hopefully my economic status will be twice what it is now... so i can bust a "cornflake" (drop a new engine in her ) either way... hope our opinions help... Do what you beleive in most...
Old 01-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Word man. I'd have to agree, economically it's probably better off to fix it and then sell it then try to sell it in a busted up state. A tranny re-build IF it needs that much, probably doesn't) shouldn't cost more than $1500 I wouldn't think (maybe I'm just used to lower prices cause a friend of mine owns a tranny shop). The motors in these cars don't usually die for a LONG time. I'm kinda unlucky, but I just can't bare to sell it as is and lose a tonne of cash, so instead, I'm SPENDING a tonne of cash to fix it up. Bottom line, cars aren't always about money. They are ALL depreciating assets, not investments, accept that fact and drive what YOU enjoy driving!!!