Component Speakers wiring to aftermarket amp.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Component Speakers wiring to aftermarket amp.

How would you route wires from the crossover to an aftermaket amplifier using the stock wires going through the rubber boot. I see you can cut the harness, but sending new wires through the rubber boot seems unliklely.

Im thinking of splicing or connecting the wires from the head units harness to the amp from there.

Thinking of getting Nakamichi SP-S5200 for the fronts, any feed back on these speakers?
Old 10-07-2007, 01:58 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Which rubber boot are you referring to?

BTW, you wrote California wrong.

~Cheers~
Old 10-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Intermediate

Took all day reading threads on this site, still found little help on First Gen TL`s.

Lemme see if I can write this more clear. Im thinking of the boot that leads wires from the door to the car. I took the drivers side door panel off to see what I was up against, and I realized that the opening of the rubber boot had one big wiring harness blocking the way for any new wires to get through. Do I just connect the crossover to the speaker harness and then splice the wires leading to the HU. The problem is, ive never installed a component system before, so im kinda vague on what the best way to wire on these systems. Also would help a lot on my budget.

日本語わ難しいです。 もっと勉強します!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:48 AM
大日本帝国

Originally Posted by ImSofaKingWeTaDid
Took all day reading threads on this site, still found little help on First Gen TL`s.

Lemme see if I can write this more clear. Im thinking of the boot that leads wires from the door to the car. I took the drivers side door panel off to see what I was up against, and I realized that the opening of the rubber boot had one big wiring 「harness blocking the way for any new wires to get through. Do I just connect the crossover to the speaker harness and then splice the wires leading to the HU. The problem is, ive never installed a component system before, so im kinda vague on what the best way to wire on these systems. Also would help a lot on my budget.

日本語わ難しいです。 もっと勉強します!
「日本語 難しいです。」

頑張りなさい!

I would just use the speaker wires and tap those into the crossover, then run the separate wires to the mid and tweeters as usual. Here's how it should be setup:

Deck output -> amplifier(s).
Amplifier(s) back into stock harness with adapter.
Stock speaker wiring into x-over.
X-over into components.

Fairly simple and it keeps the re-wiring to a minimum. Granted fresh wires throughout would be the best, but that takes too long.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
art got u down...
Old 10-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Intermediate

just got the component speakers from UPS today, and like everyone says, i think the front door speakers are 5.25". Looking at my grill that holds the speaker, my MB quart DSE 216 SP sitting on top of it sits about an inch too wide. even if I cut around the grill to its edges, these speakers would still stick out about an 3/4 of an inch.
Guess ill try and drill holes into the door and stick the speakers directly into the door with the right length of screws, leaving the grill out completely.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:34 AM
大日本帝国

There has to be holes on the speaker closer to the surround. Mine looked too big, too, but experience from my 88 Accord told me otherwise.

~Cheers~
Old 10-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Burning Brakes

I know in my 3G they cut into the door panel to get the right fitment. Sounds like you have some nice equipment. Good wiring, sound dampening, and having the correct enclosures around each speaker will make a HUGE difference in sound. You may also want to check some Car Audio specific web-sites for advice from real audiophiles...good luck
Old 10-11-2007, 02:17 PM
大日本帝国

^ HOLY SHIT. Zapco amps? Damn, that's some nice shit right there!!

~Cheers~
Old 10-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Intermediate

Hate to update such a lame thread, but since there werent many threads going...
Just wanted to write a warning for those who ever thought of installing tweeters on the door sail panel. The thing does not come off, and if you do end up pulling it off, it stays off, permanently. Had to learn the hard way. Luckily the tweeter mounts held the thing together or i would of had one ghetto looking TL. 

Last thing ill do is get a speaker harness and connect the system together, the harness wires are too short to cut anyways. Im sure these speakers will sound great, so I wont post anything more on this matter. Too lame compared to Colt45`s install!