that buncha rear caliper

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005 | 08:40 PM
Hurricane Game

that buncha rear caliper

ok, very sorry to start numerous threads under just braking material, but when they get long, they can be blah to go thru. so, i'm changing the back pass. side caliper. i have the old one off (finally) and it was frozen to death. everything back there is so rusted, i'm bout to call honda and just get new bolts. probably will tomorrow after work. so anyways.....few questions before i continue tomorrow: (ps. car is 96 TL 2.5)

1. is there a special way to get the bolt that the brake fluid flows through to line up with the brake line? when i just put it on, it ends up being not quite to the hole, and is a 1/4 turn or so away, but really tight. i don't wanna ruin any threading, etc. any suggestions?

2. what side does the parking brake use?
2a. how do you adjust it?

3. how would one get that spring to line up with the brake line (looks like a coil type wrapped in rubber)? that spring is super tough. do i need a special tool?

i couldn't figure out how to get any fluid out of the master cylinder (go figure) so i just let it drip out into a cup. i will replace it with fresh fluid once i start to bleed the brakes. i know you're sposed to start out with farthest one (so driver's side rear) and work towards it. i couldn't figure out any good way to seal it off while changing the caliper, so i guess i hope that's ok. the master cylinder, as far as i could tell, is not out of fluid.

i have to buy new rotors now....again. but not kvr's, i can't afford those right now. i'm just getting some from local parts store...ones that have lifetime warranty though. you can tell just from eyeing the pass. side rear that it's warped. booooooo! i can't win so far with this braking stuff, nor the car in general

so any suggestions or helpful hints/tips of course are appreciated. i really just want to get this done, over with, and behind me. i'll bare the costs as i have to, but it really is getting to be a pain. but i'm super glad i have you guys helpin me out. thanks to all that have helped so far...it is invaluable when you are dealing with stuff you have never done before (as per newer car). thanks all!
Old 04-03-2005 | 11:37 AM
Hurricane Game

heh, just to make stuff fun apparently, the store shorted me a caliper pin that i can't get until tomorrow. now its 60 out, and i can't wash car, or anything. *sigh*...anyone want some of this luck? lol
Old 04-03-2005 | 05:52 PM
Hurricane Game

k, well time for some good news/bad news. good news: i got a caliper bolt from the place i got the caliper from. the guy on the phone knew nothing. they had several there.

i got back, changed both sides (rear) and bled all the corners in specified order. i then tested the brakes. few questions if anyone knows:

1. i know i have to have the parking brake adjusted or do it myself, but why would the BRAKE light stay on?

2. i hear some rubbing in the back, but not sure from which side. anyone know wha that may indicate? the rotors are brand new, along with new pads. it's a constant rubbing noise, but not a squeal.

i didn't break these in like i did my fronts cuz i kinda forgot but took it easy on them after a few stops. so hopefully that is fine. just need to figure these last few things out to close the braking chapter. if anyone knows any of these answers, i'm all ears