Aww shit, key won't turn.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aww shit, key won't turn.

Well, my ignition has always been a bit "notchy" and rough, but up until recently (few days) I never thought anything of it. Now it takes me a few minutes, literally up to 5 minutes, to get my car started. The key goes into the slot fine, just, the thing won't turn. Happens with the original master key, and two copies for spares (These both only ever worked one way, copied a few thousand miles/few months ago). Also, when turning the car off sometimes it will only go the the AUX setting, then I have to spin it back to ON, then push in, and bring it all the way back so I can take it out. Any ideas on what it is/cost to repair? It's going to the dealer tomorrow afternoon once I get outta school so they can take a look at it...
Old 01-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Hurricane Game

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, i had/have (knock on wood) same issue. but lately it hasn't acted up. you can get a fresh cut key from dealer as if the car was new. that type of fresh cut, no copy of your old rounded one. i think that the rounding of the key could be the culprit. that's what i had come down to when i talked it over with the dealer tech. the tumbler usually has no issues. i was stuck at wal-mart for like 10 minutes trying to start the car.

they cost me $6 each or something to have them cut fresh one. well worth it in my opinion. HOWEVER, now the fresh cut won't open the trunk, and i'm not sure why. but i just use the lever and have no worries. i hope this helps. and if the dealer tries to tell you that it's something expensive, etc...try the key thing first. cheap fix = happy faces.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:45 PM
LDH
I

Originally Posted by dubcnea
ok, i had/have (knock on wood) same issue. but lately it hasn't acted up. you can get a fresh cut key from dealer as if the car was new. that type of fresh cut, no copy of your old rounded one. i think that the rounding of the key could be the culprit. that's what i had come down to when i talked it over with the dealer tech. the tumbler usually has no issues. i was stuck at wal-mart for like 10 minutes trying to start the car.

they cost me $6 each or something to have them cut fresh one. well worth it in my opinion. HOWEVER, now the fresh cut won't open the trunk, and i'm not sure why. but i just use the lever and have no worries. i hope this helps. and if the dealer tries to tell you that it's something expensive, etc...try the key thing first. cheap fix = happy faces.
It only cost you 6 dollars to have them cut one with your vin number? I would have expected it to cost a lot more.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:25 PM
Perfect and Greek

no man, it cost me 6$ also to have a new key cut at dealer

they asked for proof of ownership and vin
Old 01-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It could very well be the key, mine does the same thing very rarely. It COULD also be the ignition switch itself. They do wear, especially if you have a bunch of heavy S#$% on your keychain. I would try the dealer key first, and if that doesn't do it, pretty much gauranteed you'll need a new ignition. Not sure how much that will be for the TL, I know a friend of mine had to do it like 3 times on his old sunbird (he had a horrible habit of losing keys!!) and it was like $120 each time or something (that's going WAYY back, so that price could be way off....)
Old 01-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by Cornflake
It could very well be the key, mine does the same thing very rarely. It COULD also be the ignition switch itself. They do wear, especially if you have a bunch of heavy S#$% on your keychain. I would try the dealer key first, and if that doesn't do it, pretty much gauranteed you'll need a new ignition. Not sure how much that will be for the TL, I know a friend of mine had to do it like 3 times on his old sunbird (he had a horrible habit of losing keys!!) and it was like $120 each time or something (that's going WAYY back, so that price could be way off....)
mine does it everytime i try to take the key out... i need to do that exact same procedure.

1. Go to stealership and get a new key...
2. Try the new key out...
3. Depends if new key works or not go to step 4...
4. Get new ignition.
5. Live happily ever after for another 200,000 miles ^_^

and like Cornflake said... and i back him up on it 100% because its true... don't "have a bunch of heavy S#$% on your keychain"...
Old 01-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Registered Driver

Haha, I have nearly nothing on my keychain, so it isn't that. I got a new key cut today for less then $4 and can notice huge differences in where the old was worn and the new has actual shape to it. It is still a little bit rough, but is working out much better. I think I need to wear in some of the rougher edges or something, then hopefully everything will work great. Thanks for the idea, I would have never thought to do it.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Hurricane Game

awesome! glad it's working out for you. hope that's the only thing and no igniton needed.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Registered Driver

Hopefully, it still is a bit weird, but is getting better in general, I keep you updated...
Old 01-13-2005, 06:15 AM
808 TL Scene Photographer

Wow you guys are pessimists in situations like these(then again i never saw your key and how bad it was worn), Simple fix man, spray your key with some penetrating oil keyholefuck the baby in the ignition jus in and out in and out like 10 times and voila jus like new. The new key was unnecessary sorry couldn't get back to you earlier. I had the same problem only thing was mine wouldn't turn at all thing would go in fine but make no progress forward. Sprayed some liquid wrench on the key and a little in the tumbler and jus like new. Try it out and use your old keys. Ghetto Fab baby. If the above doesn't work i stand corrected and am ready to be flamed. If it does You're welcome.