Atten: 96TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atten: 96TL

Yo I was wondering I had my inspires for like 6 or 7 months and I still haven't taken out the amber chamber. I tryed using needle nose pillars and can not brake or crack the amber piece. I tryed twisting it and that didn't work and I scratched the inside clear chamber but you can not see the scratches unless you look real close or I tell you their there. I tryed a soldering whatchamacallit but I didn't want to drip melted plastic in there. I don't think I want to open the taillights up because I have a feeling I won't seal them back right and get moisture in them. Let me know how or tell me who can do them for me.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:00 PM
Ex-Mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do a search you’ll see a long set of instructions I posted on how to do this. You can even throw them in an oven instead of using a heat gun or blow dryer. I still think a heat gun is your
best bet. I would do them for you but they can break VERY easily (especially in the bottom corners) and I don’t want to ruin your tails. I know StreetEffectz does them for $150. Give him a buzz or PM him. It might cost $150 but he wont mess them up. Better safe than sorry. Good luck bro and let me know how it turns out.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:05 PM
Ex-Mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FOUND THEM:

I really don’t want to post instructions on how to do this because its very easy to screw up. I opened my headlights so I had a little experience doing this type of thing. So be very careful!!! You can always have it done by Streeteffectz for $150. I had to split the tailight open and seal it back up with silicone. I’m not sure how good it sealed up since I haven’t had them out in the rain yet. It is VERY hard to do. Its easy to break the tailight cover so be careful and do this AT YOUR OWN RISK. Don’t blame me if you break anything. You might want to wait until I go through a car wash and make sure they don’t fog up. I’ll go Saturday.

Tools:
2 or 3 Small flathead screwdrivers
Blowdryer or heat gun
Clear silicone
Clamps or duck tape
Prep-All or something that will clean off silicone without damaging the tail (Prep-All works)

1. Remove the small philips screw on the inside of the tailight on the side that goes by your quarter panel. Use the blow dryer or a heat gun to heat up the glue around the tailight. Start on the bottom first. After its hot, stick the small flathead screwdriver in between the cracks and slide it through so it separates the glue. Do one section at a time. Repeat this process a few times.

2. Use the blowdryer or heat gun to heat up the gasket that Goes across the top of the tailight and gently pull it off. Don’t take off the whole thing, just the part that goes across the top. Don’t rip it! Once you have that off you’ll see epoxy in between the crack the same as on the bottom. Heat it up and use the screwdriver the same way as the bottom. Again repeat this process a few times.

3. This part is hard. Now you have to work on the side where the reverse light is. Heat up all around the tail. Make sure everything is warm. Start prying the bottom part close to the reverse light. It should start to open. You can keep using the blowdryer to keep it warm. Use that screwdriver to hold it open and slide another screwdriver through so you can separate some more of the glue. Keep going down further to the opposite side of the tailight. Don’t go too close to the other end because that part will crack. You’re not ready to open that side yet.

4. Once the bottom part starts to open work on the top a little more. Be patient and keep the glue warm with the blow dryer. Pry it open a little bit. Keep switching from the top corner and bottom corner by the reverse light area. Keep everything warm with the blow dryer. That part should begin to open. You should be able to use your fingers to open the bottom by the reverse light a little bit. Don’t pull to hard because you can break it easily. Once the reverse light side starts to open, try to separate the glue with the screwdrivers. Make sure to keep that glue warm!

5. Now you should have the bottom, some of the top, and the reverse light side pretty much separated. Now you have to work on the other end. Be VERY careful with that side because that
whole piece is very delicate and can break easily. Keep that whole side, top and bottom warm with the blow dryer. Start prying from the top and switch to the bottom. Keep going back and forth. Do this part very slowly until it opens. I cant repeat how slow and patient you have to be on this part.

6. Once you have the tail open, just remove the blinker. It comes out with your hand. Pop out the ugly amber chamber. Set the blinker lens and brake light lens back in place. Make sure there are no fingerprints anywhere. Put a nice thick bead of silicone around the black part where all the grey glue is. Now set the tailight cover back in place and squeeze it together. Try to make all those small tabs snap back in place. You can use a flathead screwdriver to help them snap back in place. Once it looks right, remove the extra silicone and screw that philips screw back in place. You may have to push the tailight cover a little more so the holes line up. I used duck tape to hold the lens together while they dried. Make sure they go back together tighly.

7. Your gonna make a mess with silicone and glue so I used Prep-All to take it all off. You can buy it at a body shop supply store or Autozone or Pepboys. If the factory glue doesnt want to come off, heat it up a little bit, scrape it with you nail, then use Prep-All. To put that gasket back in place I heated it up with the blow dryer and it stuck back. Some hot glue or silicone will work too.

8. Done!

PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS. YOU MAY DAMAGE YOUR BEAUTIFUL INSPIRE TAILS. IF YOU DON’T FEEL CONFIDENT ABOUT DOING THIS, PLEASE DON’T TRY. IT IS VERY HARD, ANNOYING AND TAKES A LONG TIME. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU DID ON YOUR OWN. PLEASE DON’T BREAK YOUR TAILS BECAUSE I WILL FEEL RESPONSIBLE. YOU MAY BE BETTER OFF SPENDING $150 AND HAVING STREETEFFECTZ DO IT THAN
SPENDING $400 ON NEW TAILS. PLEASE THINK ABOUT IT.