97 2.5tl Exhaust Manifold Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 03:30 PM
Quality Over Quantity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 2.5tl Exhaust Manifold Cracked

Hi All,

Well, it's time for me to replace my exhaust manifold. Took it in to my local dealer to get the engine light code scanned and told me it was my manifold. It was pointed out to me when the car was lifted and i could feel a good gush of air coming from that region. I got qouted $1482 CAN and some change to replace it and the oxygen sensor (not sure if it includes primary + secondary sensor) with labour. From my research, this is a reseanable price., but still a good chuck of money for me.

What have other's done in this situation?

I have read on another post thay they had the crack welded. My crack is still unknown until the manifold is taken out and looked at. Addition costs would be the gasket and any nut's that are worn would need to be replaced, also the O2 sensors. These cost around $249 each here in Canada.

I am also aware of the extended emissions warranty, although my vehicle is an American model (Miles instead of KM), it is driven in Canada and therefore not warrantied. There is also an issure with my vehicle being 'grey" market which makes it impossible according to Acura America.

With my car having 88K Miles, what to do what to do. I'm seriously cosidering getting it done at the dealer. But i also want to save some bucks. Anyone been able to negotiate the price of mechanical work there or know of a source to get a new Exhaust Manifold?

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:41 PM
Racer

go to ebay and look for the 02 sensors they got em on there for like 90$usd...good luck though
Old 11-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I exceded the 150k mile limit and I had to replace it myself.My exhust manifold cracked too. I went online and found a site ( http://www.uneedapart.com/index.php ) and once I submitted what I needed, I received over 10 replies from different junkyards in the USA . I called couple of them and bought a used one for $300.00. It looked ok and the salvage yard gave me a money back gurrantee if it had any problerm. Once I had the part, I found a Mechanic who installed it for $225.00. + gasket and some studs. The mechanic reused the O2 sensor because it was good.

this is one of the thing you can do but there's no telling how good it will serve your purpose.
Mine so far has no problem and it's been 4 months.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:25 AM
Quality Over Quantity

I checked out the website and submitted my request. Funny thing was that i called my local Honda dealer and someone had the same called in with the same problem the day before.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tyger
I checked out the website and submitted my request. Funny thing was that i called my local Honda dealer and someone had the same called in with the same problem the day before.
Let me know how much the quote you. I use to work at a acura dealership in parts so i might be able to get you a good deal. Let me know.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Quality Over Quantity

Let me know how much the quote you. I use to work at a acura dealership in parts so i might be able to get you a good deal. Let me know.
I was qouted $1482+Tax (15%) CAN for the Exhaust Manifold + O2 Sensor(Only needed one) w/Install. Called HONDA and they qouted me$1000 for the Manifold and $250/each for O2 Sensors.

What rate can you get these for? Please remeber...I'm in Canada BUT have the means to get things shipped to the US where i can pick it up.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:33 PM
Banned

I was qouted $1482+Tax (15%) CAN for the Exhaust Manifold + O2 Sensor(Only needed one) w/Install. Called HONDA and they qouted me$1000 for the Manifold and $250/each for O2 Sensors.

What rate can you get these for? Please remeber...I'm in Canada BUT have the means to get things shipped to the US where i can pick it up.
I can get the manifold and o2 sensor for you for $1150 shipped.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:24 PM
All about JDM

If you have a 96 or 97 you are covered under the extended emissions warranty. I dont know it that includes the exhaust manifold, but the O2 sensor replacement should be free. My brothers 97 3.2 always gets his 02 sensor and EGR valve raplaced free cause of the extended warranty, up to 150k miles. Those go out almost once a month lol. I think that there is more information about the warranty somewhwere here on teh site. You need to check it out.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Quality Over Quantity

I can get the manifold and o2 sensor for you for $1150 shipped.
Thanks for the reply and research 1fasttl, it doesn't save me much for the "extra" work even considering the good exchange rate from Can-Us funds.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Banned

Thanks for the reply and research 1fasttl, it doesn't save me much for the "extra" work even considering the good exchange rate from Can-Us funds.
Well if you like i can see if i can get a little extra off of the shipping so it will be less.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi All,

Well, it's time for me to replace my exhaust manifold. Took it in to my local dealer to get the engine light code scanned and told me it was my manifold. It was pointed out to me when the car was lifted and i could feel a good gush of air coming from that region. I got qouted $1482 CAN and some change to replace it and the oxygen sensor (not sure if it includes primary + secondary sensor) with labour. From my research, this is a reseanable price., but still a good chuck of money for me.

What have other's done in this situation?

I have read on another post thay they had the crack welded. My crack is still unknown until the manifold is taken out and looked at. Addition costs would be the gasket and any nut's that are worn would need to be replaced, also the O2 sensors. These cost around $249 each here in Canada.

I am also aware of the extended emissions warranty, although my vehicle is an American model (Miles instead of KM), it is driven in Canada and therefore not warrantied. There is also an issure with my vehicle being 'grey" market which makes it impossible according to Acura America.

With my car having 88K Miles, what to do what to do. I'm seriously cosidering getting it done at the dealer. But i also want to save some bucks. Anyone been able to negotiate the price of mechanical work there or know of a source to get a new Exhaust Manifold?

Thanks for the input.

I'll tell you what I did, I let my dealer replace my cracked exhaust manifold under the emmisions recall for my 96 2.5 TL!!! I believe the 97 was included in that recall. My Acura dealer put the VIN in and the computer said my 2.5 was part of the recall. Anything associated with the emmisions that was broken was replaced. No cost.

PS.. I had 130,000 miles on it when the work was done.