Tire Story

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Story

copy and pasted from the"other" RL board. Hope you don't mind...

So recently, I've changed tires from OEM Michelin Energy Plus to Yokohama Avid4's and I absolutely hate it. I ordered the set of 4 tires from Tire Rack and I read on their website somewhere that they do not take returns....I wish I would have done the research regarding return policy before I purchased it.
I read the good reviews about the Yokohama's on tire rack's website( which made me feel good about the purchase) and generally, people speak highly of tire rack so I thought nothing of it when I purchased.( I figured since chains like Discount tire and NTB offer 30 day exchange program, I assumed Tire Rack would do the same, which I think Im wrong about.)
Anyhow, these Yoko's makes my RL ride like poop, to say the least. In comparing my balding OEM Michelin to the Yokohama AVid 4's, the Yoko's are bumpier ride in general, louder, and makes the steering wheel shake (at any speeds but especially over 75MPH). It is not that balancing is off, it is not the PSI, but it is TIRES, im telling you.
I am going to call Tire rack to find out if they'll let me do an exchange but man, did I make a mistake in trying to save some money. I read the consumer report and tire rack review comparing the two and tire rack's review had yoko's superior and consumer report had yoko's right up there. I'd like to know who is doing these reviews as I will strongly disagree with the reviews. My conclusion is that the Michelin's are much much more superior to the Yokohama's in every which way possible. Second mistake was buying tires online, which I will never do. I called my local Acura dealership( in morton grove, IL) after I purchased the Yoko's for $hits and giggles and they had them for $152 vs. $169(tire rack). Now don't get me wrong, im not upset with tire rack but just don't want people to make the same mistake as I have.
Did I mention I really hate the yoko's on my car want to go back to OEM??? I don't know what I am going to do...I hope tire rack will let me do an exchange!
Old 01-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
OEM Michelins are GARBAGE...can't speak about Yokahamas. I've had Acuras since 1989 and the one thing I've consistently disliked across the board is the POS OEM Michelins.

Try Dunlop, that's what I replace the POS Michelins with when they wear out. The difference in noise alone is astounding.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Instructor

which dunlop?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lumpulus
OEM Michelins are GARBAGE...can't speak about Yokahamas. I've had Acuras since 1989 and the one thing I've consistently disliked across the board is the POS OEM Michelins.

Try Dunlop, that's what I replace the POS Michelins with when they wear out. The difference in noise alone is astounding.

what year and model acura do you own?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts

Agree 100%. The Michelin tires that Acura uses as OE (I'm not painting all Michelin tires with the same brush) seem to be a mix of all the worse qualities in a tire. Many owners (some that know the difference anyway) actually replace them prematurely (some even since day one). I can't comment on this fellows problems; maybe someone with the Yoko's could shed some light (though I suspect if he's been on the OE's all along, he may not realize the difference a good tire can make). There are so many good replacement tires out there (and for less money than the Michelin's) I wouldn't know where to start (Dunlop would be a good place to start though; I've used many of their tires and alway had good luck).
Old 01-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Agree 100%. The Michelin tires that Acura uses as OE (I'm not painting all Michelin tires with the same brush) seem to be a mix of all the worse qualities in a tire. Many owners (some that know the difference anyway) actually replace them prematurely (some even since day one). I can't comment on this fellows problems; maybe someone with the Yoko's could shed some light (though I suspect if he's been on the OE's all along, he may not realize the difference a good tire can make). There are so many good replacement tires out there (and for less money than the Michelin's) I wouldn't know where to start (Dunlop would be a good place to start though; I've used many of their tires and alway had good luck).
I am speaking of going from Michelin OEM to Yokohama avid 4 and that did not work. I am afraid to now switch to anyhthing else. Maybe in my next life time I will try the dunlop, continentals, bridgestones but for now, ill stick with what i think is the best which is Michelin.

I am not 100% thrilled with michelins either but i do not have much choice since i purchased from tire rack, due to return policy....the next time, I will absolutely be purchasing from discount tires as they allow you 30 days to test the tires out, which is what I should have done in the beginning, if i did not get caught up in the tirerack/yoko hype
Old 01-07-2008, 05:21 AM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by chitownRLer
I am speaking of going from Michelin OEM to Yokohama avid 4 and that did not work. I am afraid to now switch to anyhthing else. Maybe in my next life time I will try the dunlop, continentals, bridgestones but for now, ill stick with what i think is the best which is Michelin.

I am not 100% thrilled with michelins either but i do not have much choice since i purchased from tire rack, due to return policy....the next time, I will absolutely be purchasing from discount tires as they allow you 30 days to test the tires out, which is what I should have done in the beginning, if i did not get caught up in the tirerack/yoko hype
You're quite right to stick with what you know and I guess I did come across as suggesting otherwise; I shouldn't have. As you've discovered, tire choice can be a risky area for experimentation and it's too bad that the Tire Rack owner's surveys were a source that didn't work for you (I've been fortunate in that I have bought a tire or two with success based in large part on their owner survey rating) . In the future, you could also use this forum to ask about tire recommendations. I've bought from Discount tire many times and I'm sure you'd be satisfied with their service. If you really don't like the Yoko's, take them off and sell them on Craigslist, ebay, or here and buy something you'd be happy with. You don't need a daily reminder of a product you don't like.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:03 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I Have an 06 RL, but that's pretty much irrelevant when it comes to tires.

Try the SP8000(If they still make them, BEST tire ever made) or the SP9000.

OEM Michelins on just about any Honda Acura are Noisey, handle like crap in the wet, and are overpriced. WAY overpriced for what you get. The only plus they have is they have a long tread life, but I reallu couldn't care less about that personally, given that they are so damn noisey.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Instructor

You're quite right to stick with what you know and I guess I did come across as suggesting otherwise; I shouldn't have. As you've discovered, tire choice can be a risky area for experimentation and it's too bad that the Tire Rack owner's surveys were a source that didn't work for you (I've been fortunate in that I have bought a tire or two with success based in large part on their owner survey rating) . In the future, you could also use this forum to ask about tire recommendations. I've bought from Discount tire many times and I'm sure you'd be satisfied with their service. If you really don't like the Yoko's, take them off and sell them on Craigslist, ebay, or here and buy something you'd be happy with. You don't need a daily reminder of a product you don't like.
yeah, I am going to eat the shipping and mount & balance money that i already dished out for yokohama and returned the yoko's and reordered OEM Michelins from Tire rack....thats how much i hated it.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Instructor

OEM Michelins on just about any Honda Acura are Noisey, handle like crap in the wet, and are overpriced. WAY overpriced for what you get. The only plus they have is they have a long tread life, but I reallu couldn't care less about that personally, given that they are so damn noisey.
Lump, I'll take your word for it for now...seeing as I cannot return another tire, I will have to stick with OEM....Overall, I was happy with the Michelins, other than the fact that I got a hole in the sidewall prematurely(prolly had min. 10k - 15k miles left on the tires) and it did not ride too great in the snow/ice but that's much the same with any all season tires. I was happy with the smoothness and quietness of the tires itself but then, i've yet to try the Dunlop. Maybe next time around, when I purchase from actual store, I will try the Dunlops first and then return the tires if I do not like it.

Thanks for your input!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Old Guy

Agree with the SP8000 comment; I had them on an A4 and it's a great tire (strictly summer though). I'm pretty sure they're not around anymore (could check Tire Rack).
Old 01-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Old Guy

The Dunlop SP Sport 8000 is still available, but in very limited sizes (only thing close for an Acura is the 235/45x17's that are OE on the TL).
Old 02-26-2008, 01:21 PM
A Saitama Garage

THe only thing for the 245X50R17 is the SP 5000 on the dunlop site. Is this similar to SP8000?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yoko Avid4 Tires

I had the Yokohama Avid4 on my 96 RL and they were great tires for me, good ride, quiet, handled well, and long life.

I needed new tires on my 04 TL and decided to go with the Avid4 for that one too. Totally different experience, loud, poor wear, short life. They were about like the Bridgestones that they replaced, which was poor.

I've come to the conclusion that it has more to do with the design of the tire, low profile performance, that it did with the manufacturer. That style of tire really looks nice on the car, but ride, wear, and cabin noise suffers.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Instructor

goodyear triple tread by far are the best riding, smoothest ,quietest and also the rubber is a little harder than michelin. goodyear tires dont pick up every little thing on the road like michelins do.when I had them I had a screw or nail in them every week Ill never by those again. another great tire is bridgestone pole position all season .......250.00 per tire but well worth it.these 2 brands are the only tires I have ever put on my RL, Oh I tried dunlop sport 5000 they sucked I took them off a week later.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:11 PM
A Saitama Garage

I couldn't find the pole positions on the bridgestone website at 245/50 r17. Are you using a diff size on your RL?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by Chuck091279
THe only thing for the 245X50R17 is the SP 5000 on the dunlop site. Is this similar to SP8000?
They're not really that similar. The tread design is quite different, and the SP5000 is an all season tire (although marketed as "ultra high performance all season", which should be taken as code to mean that it's probably not great in the snow). The SP8000 is a summer tire, which among other things, indicates that the rubber compound used in the tire will not like cold weather. Plus, it's an older design; it dates well back into the early 90's at least (hence the imminent discontinuation of the model line). A common misconception about summer tires being not appropriate in winter/snowy weather is that the tread design doesn't allow for safe use in sh*tty conditions. The real danger in using "summer" tires during the winter is the inability of the rubber used to adapt to the colder temperatures. The colder the temperature, the harder they get (can literally get like hockey pucks down around zero). Some are better than others in this respect, but it's something to be aware of. This doesn't mean that all all season tires are good in winter weather. There are many (and I'll assume the SP5000 that started this rant to be one) tires that are technically all season, but are of little use in real winter conditions. They make great summer tires though, in that you can run them well into the late fall and put them back on in early spring. You don't really have to worry about the occasional low temp. morning or a snow shower. On topic, the SP5000 has excellent results on the Tire Rack's survey, and due to what appears to be relatively few tires to chose from in the OE size, it looks like it would be a good choice.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Instructor

I couldn't find the pole positions on the bridgestone website at 245/50 r17. Are you using a diff size on your RL?
I have 225/45/R18 ,bridgestone makes a new one 050 also excellent
Old 02-27-2008, 10:14 AM
A Saitama Garage

What, besides, 245/50/R17, will fit on a 06 RL?
Old 02-28-2008, 04:03 AM
Old Guy

What, besides, 245/50/R17, will fit on a 06 RL?
A good alternative would be a size 225/55x17 tire. It's the same diameter, fits well on the OE wheel, and would provide a much bigger selection of tires to choose from. Tire Rack offers a number of popular tires in this size. Discount Tire also lists 235/55x17 and 255/50x17 sizes as replacement sizes, but these would be taller (by around a half inch). The 255/50x17 tire is also wider (not a plus if you're considering a tire that would also be used in snow). If it were me, I'd either go with the Dunlop SP5000's in the OE size, or go to the 225/55's (the Falken ZE-912 is available in this size and I think is a great choice for the money).
Old 03-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have the inclination, upgrade your wheel to 18" or 19". I put on Michelin PS2 245/40/19 and they are amazing. They are pricey but for me they not only look good but perform well. I really can't notice a significant change in ride quality either. I wouldn't go with any tire that increases the sidewall over the current stock arrangement. The stock tire/wheel, IMO, is not suited for the car. Bottom line, if you want to make a difference upgrading your tires, you may want to put in the extra cash to upgrade the wheels as well!!
Old 03-02-2008, 04:05 AM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by DoctorTuna
If you have the inclination, upgrade your wheel to 18" or 19". I put on Michelin PS2 245/40/19 and they are amazing. They are pricey but for me they not only look good but perform well. I really can't notice a significant change in ride quality either. I wouldn't go with any tire that increases the sidewall over the current stock arrangement. The stock tire/wheel, IMO, is not suited for the car. Bottom line, if you want to make a difference upgrading your tires, you may want to put in the extra cash to upgrade the wheels as well!!
This argument has merit if cost is not in the equation. Upgrading to a bigger tire/wheel package would be done so at considerable cost and is a slightly different issue than just looking for replacement tires. Also, the sidewall height difference between the 245/50 and 225/55 17" tires is only 1.25MM; most likely indistinguishable by the eye (or the car)(and since the overall diameter is the same, this has to be the case).
Old 03-02-2008, 12:10 PM
VIP Style KA9 aka JDM RL

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chitownRLer
Did I mention I really hate the yoko's on my car want to go back to OEM??? I don't know what I am going to do...I hope tire rack will let me do an exchange!
Yokohama's are excellent tires and have never failed me, i have them on all three of my acuras. Like any tire purchase make sure you get the correct model and tire size for your needs. The new S-Drive will be my new set for my rl; by the way i am running 225/35/19 on the front for 19x8.5 +37 offset normal disk. and 235/35/19 on the rear for 19x9.5 +43 super low disk. For my needs im pushing the limits for the KA9 as im looking to be the first in the US with the true VIP look. I have done my research and YOKOHAMA's are premier in japan for VIP sedans. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by MaxPowerIntegra
Yokohama's are excellent tires and have never failed me, i have them on all three of my acuras. Like any tire purchase make sure you get the correct model and tire size for your needs. The new S-Drive will be my new set for my rl; by the way i am running 225/35/19 on the front for 19x8.5 +37 offset normal disk. and 235/35/19 on the rear for 19x9.5 +43 super low disk. For my needs im pushing the limits for the KA9 as im looking to be the first in the US with the true VIP look. I have done my research and YOKOHAMA's are premier in japan for VIP sedans. Hope this helps and good luck.
Staggered tires/wheels are a major nono on AWD cars.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:57 PM
VIP Style KA9 aka JDM RL

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Staggered tires/wheels are a major nono on AWD cars.
simba, chiltownrler has and owns a 2000 rl , i have a 2004rl none of these are AWD! please read the information first, i was not talking about the 2005+ rl so your statement is irrelevent. thanks. please edit it
Old 03-03-2008, 05:47 AM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by MaxPowerIntegra
simba, chiltownrler has and owns a 2000 rl , i have a 2004rl none of these are AWD! please read the information first, i was not talking about the 2005+ rl so your statement is irrelevent. thanks. please edit it
DUH! Nevermind!!!