Stuck Brake Caliper

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:10 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck Brake Caliper

Hello, fellow Acura owners. After a 300 mile road trip in my 1998 Acura RL, I noticed a burning rubber smell coming from the rear of the vehicle. After several other extended road trips, it became obvious that the source of the burning rubber smell was in area of the rear, passenger side wheel. The rim of this wheel becomes heated after extended road trips. After considering other symptoms (decreased gas milage, and a squeaking sound coming from the same area) a family member had suggested that the problem was a sticking brake caliper. Being out of town for the past month, I am unable to schedule service at an Acura dealership. Earlier today, I drove my precious baby to a local auto mechanic. The place looked like a dump, but the mechanic has a good local reputation, nonetheless. After explaining the symptoms to the mechanic, he agreed that a stuck brake caliper was likely to blame. After speaking with the mechanic about all of the possibilities, I told him that I was only interested in using OEM Acura/Honda parts for the repair. He said that it would be a waste of money, and he would only recommend 3rd party or remanufactured Acura brand parts. I opted for the remanufactured Acura parts, and he said he would call me before he ordered anything. As a perfectionist, that's not normally how I roll, no pun intended. I am somewhat regretting this decision, and hope to get some advice from you all. Is a remanufactured caliper suitable for a situation like this? Or should I risk it, and drive a couple of hundred miles to the nearest Acura dealership?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:41 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, what can I say? I learned my lesson the hard way. I told the mechanic to go ahead and order the remanufactured parts. He ordered and installed new rear brake pads, rotors, and calipers, and I thought things were fine.. They weren't.. Braking seems weak, and the parking brake doesn't work. What a joke. I will be visiting my trusty Acura dealership in Tennessee.