performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:14 PM
-E-K-S-O-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
performance

is there anything for performance for the 99-04 RL?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
at this point no, in the future maybe lol jk.. I too was searching performance part for my RL, but no luck man. part for this car is so rare! good luck on finding performance part....
Old 09-29-2008, 02:25 PM
-E-K-S-O-

yeah, after a lot of searching i've realized that there is litterally nothing for the KA9 in terms of performance. from what i'm guessing most of the things we would require are universal type modds.

here is what i'm thinking in terms of aftermarket parts that might work for the KA9 3.5 RL... please let me know if these things have worked in the past for RL owners or if i have forgotten something, or need to take some things away...

-universal free flowing muffler
-universal free flowing cats
-NGK iridium plugs
-Nology Hot wires
-MSD dizzy cap/rotor/blaster coil
-Comptech drop in air filter
-Inuzima (i think that's how it's spelled) ground kit
Old 09-30-2008, 01:35 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by U4ICTHEORY
yeah, after a lot of searching i've realized that there is litterally nothing for the KA9 in terms of performance. from what i'm guessing most of the things we would require are universal type modds.

here is what i'm thinking in terms of aftermarket parts that might work for the KA9 3.5 RL... please let me know if these things have worked in the past for RL owners or if i have forgotten something, or need to take some things away...

-universal free flowing muffler
-universal free flowing cats
-NGK iridium plugs
-Nology Hot wires
-MSD dizzy cap/rotor/blaster coil
-Comptech drop in air filter
-Inuzima (i think that's how it's spelled) ground kit
Here are the problems with some of the things you've posted:

Plugs: The materials are not what makes power, but what makes them last longer. I've run the OEM double-platinums, Iridium IXs, and currently, the Laser Iridiums. The only thing that really made a difference was indexing the plugs, but that's only good for about 1HP.

Nology Hot Wires: Besides being overpriced garbage, your motor doesn't use wires, .

MSD Stuff: Same thing as above except it's not overpriced garbage, haha.

Drop-in Filter: Comptech made one? Just go for K&N if you want to use a drop-in.

Sun Auto Stuff: If you pick up a grounding kit and the Inazuma voltage stabiliser, then it'd help.

On to the other things:

Don't forget about oil, as crappy or thicker than normal oil can rob you of some power. I personally run RP 5W30, and while I've used many different brands, I like Royal Purple because of the good balance of quality and cost. My Greddy oil was $10/qt,!

If you live in a temperate area, as most of CA and especially Stockton is, you can do the throttle body coolant bypass. It's good for an estimated 2-3WHP, and it's free. I'll explain. Originally, the car runs coolant through the throttle body to help warm up the car faster, and to help prevent the throttle plate from sticking due to cold weather. While that's all fine and dandy, it's useless once the car is warmed up and actually heats incoming air. By bypassing the throttle body, you engine is given air that cooler and denser, with the only trade-off being a slight increase in warm-up time. All you need to do is loop the output back into the input and you're done.

Now, on to the exhaust. The only reason the 02-04s made more power was because of changes to the factory exhaust system and the fuel maps. Changing out to a custom cat-back would help bring the other years to those levels, if not higher. A basic tune-up (new PCV, correct plugs, air cleaner, oil + filter) would give you a surprising kick if your car wasn't maintained properly. Worn coil packs can also have a detrimental effect, as can heavy wheels.

LMK if you need anything.

~Cheers~
Old 09-30-2008, 04:43 PM
-E-K-S-O-

Originally Posted by Go90go
LMK if you need anything.

~Cheers~
bro, i need all the help in the world... i understand there is not much to do in terms of general bolt on performance but what's the word on forced induction?

more questions... i need to determine if i'm seriously going to go with an RL or a TL...

-what's out there for suspension? *i don't need coilovers, air bags. Springs and shocks are fine*

-20" rims need to be less then 7.5" wide or they'll rub?

-what are the differences in the JDM VS. the USDM (other then RHD)
Old 10-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
If your looking for mods, go with a tl. If you want sport and luxry, get the type-s. It has 260 hp stock. Thats not to the wheels, but there are alot of mods for it. They have exhaust systems, forced induction, coilovers, and alot more. The rides nice too. Not to mentions its lighter than an RL so that gives it an advantage.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:31 PM
-E-K-S-O-

my dilema is that i really don't know what i want...

the young professional in me says "TL Type-S"

the mature minded guy in me says "3.5 RL"

the racer guy in me says "95 Accord EX-L, H22 5 Speed"
Old 10-03-2008, 01:45 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
2G TLs would give you tranny problems out the ass. However, with the right mods, it'll kill that EX-L (even with an H22) all day long while keeping your ass and ears comfortable, haha. We have one in the family, and besides the seats, I don't like much else on it. I'm a fan of the big-bodied cars, and the 2G just isn't one.

Be sure to let us know what you decide on.

~Cheers~
Old 10-03-2008, 02:29 PM
-E-K-S-O-

Originally Posted by Go90go
2G TLs would give you tranny problems out the ass. However, with the right mods, it'll kill that EX-L (even with an H22) all day long while keeping your ass and ears comfortable, haha. We have one in the family, and besides the seats, I don't like much else on it. I'm a fan of the big-bodied cars, and the 2G just isn't one.

Be sure to let us know what you decide on.

~Cheers~

yes i do believe the tranny is a big problem on the TL/CL... yes i love the big body of the RL, but it seems just so sluggish in compairison to a TL/CL/H22 Accord... don't get me wrong, i fully understand that the RL isn't designed to be a "Go Fast" car and is purely a luxury car but i want to know that if need be i can punch it and get somewhere fast... the accord is to old for my taste and seems to fall into the young racer crowd which is exactly the crowd i want to get away from. the TL sits somewhere around the middle which i'm comfortable with it's just that tranny problem that makes me think...
Old 10-06-2008, 10:25 AM
-E-K-S-O-

decided on something in between an RL and an Accord EX-L H22. so i'm the new proud
3rd owner of an 03 TL Type-S in Anthratic Metalic Gray with Black Leather (No Navi)

thanks guys for your suggestions and opinions
Old 10-06-2008, 02:22 PM
8th Gear

im also having trouble deciding b/w an RL and TL.. 1st gen RL ('04) vs. 3rd gen TL ('04/05).. i already posted in the TL forum but I would love to hear what some of you RL folks had to say:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/2004-tl-vs-2004-rl-690419/

thanks!
Old 10-06-2008, 05:17 PM
-E-K-S-O-

Originally Posted by Roland1
im also having trouble deciding b/w an RL and TL.. 1st gen RL ('04) vs. 3rd gen TL ('04/05).. i already posted in the TL forum but I would love to hear what some of you RL folks had to say:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690419

thanks!
MY

if you want plush... go with the RL (1st gen)
if you want fast... go with the TL (2nd gen)

there isn't a ton of parts for the RL, and most parts you will find are rare, hard to find, or JDM only... VIP style seems to be all that there is for the RL...

the TL has a host of aftermarket parts, body, engine etc... there are many routes you can take with a TL...
Old 10-06-2008, 06:00 PM
8th Gear

thanks for the input U4.. my main concern is reliability, as ill be keeping my Trans Am for speed .. the fact that the TL's (3rd gen is what im looking at) are made in ohio somewhat bothers me.. since ill be looking at an '04/'05 model w/ a decent # of miles on it, im wondering how likely it is for the TL's to give me major problems around 80-100K.. anyone have experience w/ the 3rd gen TL's past this mileage?.. should i not worry about diminished quality in the TL from it being built here?.. from what ive seen on this forum and elsewhere, it seems like a majority of the RL owners keep their cars well past 100K and dont suffer from too many maintenance problems.. ..its a tough decision b/c im a fan of how the TL looks, and being a 24 yr old, i feel the car fits me a little more than the classic look of the RL..however, my main concern is reliability so im trying to compare features b/w the two cars and get opinions/testimonials about the longevity of the 3rd-gen TL ('04/'05 models) as opposed to the 1st-gen RL ('04 models) ..id appreciate any input.. thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 12:51 PM
-E-K-S-O-

Originally Posted by Roland1
thanks for the input U4.. my main concern is reliability, as ill be keeping my Trans Am for speed .. the fact that the TL's (3rd gen is what im looking at) are made in ohio somewhat bothers me.. since ill be looking at an '04/'05 model w/ a decent # of miles on it, im wondering how likely it is for the TL's to give me major problems around 80-100K.. anyone have experience w/ the 3rd gen TL's past this mileage?.. should i not worry about diminished quality in the TL from it being built here?.. from what ive seen on this forum and elsewhere, it seems like a majority of the RL owners keep their cars well past 100K and dont suffer from too many maintenance problems.. ..its a tough decision b/c im a fan of how the TL looks, and being a 24 yr old, i feel the car fits me a little more than the classic look of the RL..however, my main concern is reliability so im trying to compare features b/w the two cars and get opinions/testimonials about the longevity of the 3rd-gen TL ('04/'05 models) as opposed to the 1st-gen RL ('04 models) ..id appreciate any input.. thanks
my

if reliability is your main concern... go with the RL... from what i've read it's the most refined motor honda offered durring that period of time. exceptional build quality and high marks on reliability... the 99-03 TL is prone to tranny problems... before i bought my 03 TL, i had a 07 TL-S... before the bank took it away i had 35000 miles on it with zero problems... my 03 TL has 110000 miles on it, i've driven it about 200 miles so far with no probs...
Old 10-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Well for reliability....my Rl has been amazing. Just do the scheduled maintenance and your fine. Mine is almost to 151000 miles and i love it. Ive put about 15000 miles on it since i got it last year. On longer trips i love it, the rides nice, not too much road noise, and it has a good amount of torque. If your going to find one with around 100,000 miles, try and find one that has had the timing belt and water pump change, unless your mechanically inclined. I paid around 1k for this service...but i should of done it myself as the parts would of been around 300 or so.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:38 PM
8th Gear

yea ive only heard good things abt the 1st gen RL, w/ exception of its somewhat boring looks and sluggishness.. but reliability/quality have always been top-notch from what i've read and heard.. the cars im deciding b/w are an '04 RL w/ 62K (selling for almost 16K).. silver w/ slate leather.. looks pretty sweet but its a few hrs away and i still have to test drive it.. the other car im looking at is an '04 silver TL selling for around 16,500 and it has 33K miles on it.. if i ever do plan on selling a car again, the TL would be the better bet.. holds its resale much better than the RL..however, i plan on keeping the car for 8+ yrs and won't be driving it much since ill be in grad school(in college i put maybe 5K/yr on my car).. just dont want to deal with parts failing on me or too much upkeep (besides normal maintenance).. thanks again for the input and ill let you all know how it goes after the test drive.. if you have anything more to say abt the RL/TL, please do..i think im going crazy trying to make a decision over this!

Last edited by Roland1; 10-07-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:24 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
We may have something in the works soon
I'll let you guys know when I find out what's going on.