Looking to install some HIDs for my fog lights. Have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Looking to install some HIDs for my fog lights. Have some questions

I want to change out my stock fogs for some nice HIDs but I have a few questions I'm hoping can be clarified first.

1. I'll need a bulb adapter, are these the right ones for a 99?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170538113944...438.l2649#shId

2. What ballast would you recommend?

3. Where is the best location to mount the ballast?

4. What HID would you recommend? (I was thinking 6000k)
Old 06-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Cash Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have 3 sets of HID's in my car...the stock one, and a pair for my highs and my fogs.

1. Yes

2 DDM Tuning (Buy the complete kit) Slim Ballast's are the way to go

3 I had a spot on my 02 that was right above the grill in the lower bumper part. It was kinda like a shelf (so it worked good for me). I used Velcro tape to secure it to the shelf, easy to un-stick if I have to but powerful enough to know that it will be secure.

4 6000k is good for driving but also getting noticed. It has a slight blue to it that doesn't get too much in the way of seeing at night.

You might also consider doing the fog light mod so you can have just your fogs on and not your headlights as well. It also helps with extra dark places, as the fog-lights do not turn off when you use your high beams

If you have any questions just ask.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Racer

Thanks for the info Pro-Pilot. Is this the DDM kit your referring to?
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

Also what do you mean about the 6000k lights being noticed? Is it regarding cops or just other cars seeing them?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Cash Registered Member

Yep you got it.
As far as being noticed, I mean that it won't look like you have stock HID's, the color will be a bit more bluish. I meant other cars seeing them, not the cops. If you want a more whitish light, go for 4500K or 5000K.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Racer

6000k sounds like what I'm looking for. I'd like a little blue tint to them but nothing outrageous. It goes along with my interior lighting of white on top and blue on bottom. It sucks how long it's going to take for the adapters to come in, because right now the bumpers off as my Dads is helping me repair the damage my Grandmother did when she owned the car.

When the bumper is all done and the HID bulbs are in I'll have to post some photos to show them off haha.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Not to totally hijack this thread, but I have a couple of questions to on that for the 96-98 models. As you know (if you have one of these years) our fog lights are inside the main headlight assembly. If you wanted to convert it to a white-ish looking (some research I did indicates that I'll want like a 5000k) effect instead of the yellow, what would you do? I've never done HID modifications or anything and I am sure there is some sort of excellent website out there.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Cash Registered Member

Originally Posted by Not_So_Fast_Eddie
6000k sounds like what I'm looking for. I'd like a little blue tint to them but nothing outrageous. It goes along with my interior lighting of white on top and blue on bottom. It sucks how long it's going to take for the adapters to come in, because right now the bumpers off as my Dads is helping me repair the damage my Grandmother did when she owned the car.

When the bumper is all done and the HID bulbs are in I'll have to post some photos to show them off haha.
Excellent. And yes, it does suck (I got my adapters from that exact same listing). If you want to you can look on ebay and get them from the US for a much shorter shipping time (but more expensive). You don't need to take the bumper off (I didn't) but I suppose it helps.

A little tutorial I did on using these adapters is on this thread here---- https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rl-1996-2004-77/hid-kit-fog-lights-884419/
Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Cash Registered Member

Originally Posted by MyNameIsEarl
Not to totally hijack this thread, but I have a couple of questions to on that for the 96-98 models. As you know (if you have one of these years) our fog lights are inside the main headlight assembly. If you wanted to convert it to a white-ish looking (some research I did indicates that I'll want like a 5000k) effect instead of the yellow, what would you do? I've never done HID modifications or anything and I am sure there is some sort of excellent website out there.
Actually, looking at some pictures, is there even an amber lens inside the fog-light or is it just the bulb that's yellow. If it's just the bulb, take that sucker out and replace with a 5000k kit
Old 06-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
There is an amber lens inside of the fog light housing. So, that would have to go to. And I'm not really sure I want to remove the bumper, take out the headlight housings, fight with the glue to separate it, try to glue it back together, and so forth...

It may be more trouble than it is actually worth...
Old 06-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Cash Registered Member

Originally Posted by MyNameIsEarl
There is an amber lens inside of the fog light housing. So, that would have to go to. And I'm not really sure I want to remove the bumper, take out the headlight housings, fight with the glue to separate it, try to glue it back together, and so forth...

It may be more trouble than it is actually worth...

Does this make sense?

"You meant the amber cover on foglight not on headlight. For 96-98 RL the foglight is located in the headlight assembly. Anyway that is so easy job. You just need to detach the foglight wire connector and the black dust seal cover. Then unscrew 2 screws to take the foglight housing out. Now you can see the amber cover and take it off from the housing. Installation is reverse."
Old 06-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pro-Pilot
Excellent. And yes, it does suck (I got my adapters from that exact same listing). If you want to you can look on ebay and get them from the US for a much shorter shipping time (but more expensive). You don't need to take the bumper off (I didn't) but I suppose it helps.

A little tutorial I did on using these adapters is on this thread here---- https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884419
Well this is the reason why the bumper came off:
Looking to install some HIDs for my fog lights. Have some questions-gxfzudd.jpg
I don't know what she hit but it did some good damage. There is a hole in the bumper about the size of a pen tip, and has a crack that tore about 3 inches behind the chrome molding. Also a part of the bumper is bent out underneath the chrome. It saves us a lot of time by removing the bumper to repair and repaint all of this.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Cash Registered Member

Just saw this written as well, doesn't seem hard to do at all....

"1. Unplug the bulbs. You have to squeeze the little tabs on the plug and then pull it off.

2. Remove rubber weatherseals.

3. Remove the bulbs. Look closely and you’ll see how they come off. Its easy.

4. Look inside the foglight housing. You’ll see 2 philips screws, one on the top, and one on the bottom. Remove the bottom screw and loosen the top screw. If you take out the top screw it will be a pain to get back in.

5. Pull out the whole foglight assembly.

6. Twist off the yellow cover.

7. Re-install. Done! Good luck!"
Old 06-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Cash Registered Member

Well this is the reason why the bumper came off:
I don't know what she hit but it did some good damage. There is a hole in the bumper about the size of a pen tip, and has a crack that tore about 3 inches behind the chrome molding. Also a part of the bumper is bent out underneath the chrome. It saves us a lot of time by removing the bumper to repair and repaint all of this.

Ooo i see, I actually have taken the bumper off of mine. Is it difficult?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Racer

Ooo i see, I actually have taken the bumper off of mine. Is it difficult?
Very easy. Remove ~7 bolts on bottom, and one bolt on the edge of each wheel well right by the bumper. Then pop the hood and remove 5 plastic screws on top. The bumper is free at this point and all you have to do is unplug the fog lights. It takes about 15 minutes.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Cash Registered Member

Very easy. Remove ~7 bolts on bottom, and one bolt on the edge of each wheel well right by the bumper. Then pop the hood and remove 5 plastic screws on top. The bumper is free at this point and all you have to do is unplug the fog lights. It takes about 15 minutes.
I meant haven't, not have lol. Good to know it's easy. Also, make sure you decide whether to get the 35W or 55w ballasts. 55w is brighter but washes out color a bit (not a big deal in your case).
Old 06-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Racer

I meant haven't, not have lol. Good to know it's easy. Also, make sure you decide whether to get the 35W or 55w ballasts. 55w is brighter but washes out color a bit (not a big deal in your case).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Acura-H1-HID-Bulb-Holders-Adapters-Converters-/130907779589?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AAcura%7CModel%3ARL&hash=item1e7ab63205&vxp=mtrI found some in the USA. Do these seem right? They look different than the ones from China.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Cash Registered Member

Looks like it does the same job, the wider gap there makes it a little easier to slide the wires thru. It should work fine assuming everything else is correct.