Just bought a 1998 Acura RL 3.5

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:16 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a 1998 Acura RL 3.5

Hello everyone. I just bought an Acura RL two weeks ago and I love the car. I'm always finding out new things about it. The car has about 119k miles on it and runs like new.

But I'm having a few concerns so far. When accelerating or anytime I do over 70-80mph, I notice the wheel shakes a bit or vibrates. I'm hoping I just need a wheel alignment as the tires are brand new.

Also, I keep hearing this grinding noise when I turn corners sometimes. Usually, its when I have a passenger in the back of the car. I hear the same grinding when I'm taking off and the gears shift. I thought it was the muffler at first...

Another thing that bothers me is the damn gas runs out quickly. I previously had a Grand Prix GT with a 3.8 engine that only used regular gas and I'd had to fill up every two days because I hate letting my car go below half. I'm finding I'm having the same issue with this car and Im using premium gas. I made the mistake of using regular at first and it lasted longer. But I know the complications of that.

The dealership I bought it from also sold it to me without an air filter, old oil and old transmission fluid as well so I'm thinking that may have something to do with things as well (hopefully.) But they agreed to order the part and replace everything for free thankfully.

But anyway, sorry for the wall of text. Anyone have any experiences like mine? any advice? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Congrats on your new ride! I had a 1996 RL that ran up to 225K miles and was still going strong when I sold it, so your car still has lots of life on it. As for your issues...

1) Vibrations... if you get vibrations at 70-80, do you get them even with your foot OFF the gas? If so, then it's likely an alignment issue. If you get it only with gas applied, then it's more likely the transmission. If you get it when braking, then it's your rotors. The vibration on acceleration is likely the transmission. My RL had a slight vibration on acceleration and was diagnosed as a tranmission issue. I opted NOT to fix it because of the $4000 to replace the tranny, and it went over 100K miles just fine... though I had to live with that vibration.

2) Grinding noise turning corners is usually a CV boot that has leaked all of its grease out resulting in CV joints grinding metal to metal. You need to check for a leaking boot or boots and replace them along with new grease.

3) Gas! Ha! Yep, the RL has always been a gas guzzler. It drinks Premium like you wouldn't believe for a car this size. I got about 20MPG in mixed driving conditions, but if you do more city driving, expect it to drop into the mid to high teens. Unfortunately, this is normal.

Finally, I hope when you say "sold it to me without an air filter" you mean without a NEW filter. Without a filter at all would be bad. Glad they are replacing everything for you, but it probably won't help the mileage much. New tranny fluid (make sure it's HONDA fluid!!!) may help smooth out the transmission vibrations a bit, but that's about it.

Finally, there is only one more thing to be aware of on this car... once it gets higher in miles (like 150K or so), you will likely get the P0401 check engine light code. That requires a EGR port cleaning at around $400 by the dealer or cheaper from an independent shop. For me at least, that same cleaning was required every couple of years after that. I think it shouldn't come back that frequently had they cleaned it thoroughly enough, but they would never admit that!

Other than that, the RL is an excellent, reliable car! It has never left me stranded and starts up on the first time every time. Just keep doing oil changes on it and you'll be good to go!

Last thing... do you mind telling us how much you got your car for and where you are at?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) The vibrations only start when I go those above 60 really. So when I'm idle or doing about 40-50 on some streets, its rides like butter. The brakes are screeching a bit but there's no shaking when I brake.

2) As for the boot. That sounds expensive. I'm guessing garages usually fix that though?

And yes, they sold it to me WITHOUT a filter. Thanks for the info and heads up. I got the car from a local dealership around my house. They guy sold it to me for around 5559. I have a car note but they said its only for 2 years (probably won't even be that long) But the car is in great shape. Leather seats with wood grain dash. Bose sound system. No scratches or dents and new tires. I can't wait to get a spoiler and rims. Maybe a new paint job. My car is that pearl white color with the silver bottom. I kind of want one solid color.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Are you talking without an ENGINE filter or without a CABIN A/C filter? Without an egine filter would be really really bad depending on how long the car was driven without the filter. Air particulates will dramatically reduce an engine's longevity!

Yes, garages will all fix CV boots. If it's just the boot, relatively cheap. If you have to replace the CV joint because it's been worn out from the leaky boot, then it will cost you a lot more.

I would start with an alignment first on the vibrations and then go from there...
Old 07-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Good buy! My 96 Rl with 171K and I didn't experience any problems you've mention. I was surprise a 98 with only 119k! Anyway what kind of dealership sold you a car without an airfilter lol, SERIOUSLY! You should have asked them for an airfilter and drain the transmission for free.