Help car won't pass smog test!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Help car won't pass smog test!

Hi, I have a 96 that didnt pass the test. On the paper it said my car passed the smog test, but the technician saw blue smoke was coming out from the tailpipe then he failed me. Can I file a complaint to BAR?

Before the smog test, I have CEL for Egr insufficient flow so I changed the EGR tube and the CEL is off now. I also replaced the spark plugs with OEM NGK spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, spark plug tube seals(gasket), and a new air filter. Does anyone know what cause the blue smoke, I suspect the mechanic didn't replace the spark plug tube seals while he changed the valve cover gasket. I need to remove the ingintion to make sure the oil isnt leaking into the spark plugs. I really don't want to retire the car because it's still running like a champ. I need your help. Thank you.
I'm in CA btw.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Anyone?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you already know the answer.

Blue smoke from a exhaust means oil is getting into the cylinders somehow. If you just had the head refit and have had blue smoke ever since, this would suggest the job might not have been done correctly. Perhaps you could go back to the shop and talk to them about it.

Did you change from synthetic to regular oil at the same time? I've heard that can reveal leaks. In that case, switching back to synthetic should remove the smoke issue. But I don't know if just changing from a life time of regular to synthetic would help anything.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Banned

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
I would run a seal conditioner (motor honey or another brand) change the oil and see if that corrects it.

Even though you failed did you have to pay?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by combat mediC
I would run a seal conditioner (motor honey or another brand) change the oil and see if that corrects it.

Even though you failed did you have to pay?
I went from the Castrol convetional oil to Castrol High Mileage oil from 120K, now it's at 173K.

Yes, I still need to pay the fee.
I just went to a different smog station and told them about my situation. The the tech noticed that my muffler spited out water when I stepped on the gas, he recommended me go get the muffler check out. Then I went to my mechanic and he noticed my OEM muffler don't have a drain hole, he said a muffler needs to have a tiny hole under the muffler so it can drains out any water from the muffler. He even showed me the tiny hole from a different car muffler, and I did notice that indeed it had a tiny hole. So he drilled a tiny hole on my muffler and told me to drive about a week so all the water inside my muffler evaporate then retest the car. I am hoping it is just the muffler that caused the problem! I've plan retest the car this Saturday and hoping that I'll pass this time and the CEL is still off by then

Thx for the recommendation. If the muffler is not the problem, I'll try to add seal conditioner. BTW what is the different between Engine oil treatment, claiming to stop oil leak, and seal conditioner. Are they the same? I check at the auto store and all they carry is engine oil treatment.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by 3.5RLv-tec?
I went from the Castrol convetional oil to Castrol High Mileage oil from 120K, now it's at 173K.

Yes, I still need to pay the fee.
I just went to a different smog station and told them about my situation. The the tech noticed that my muffler spited out water when I stepped on the gas, he recommended me go get the muffler check out. Then I went to my mechanic and he noticed my OEM muffler don't have a drain hole, he said a muffler needs to have a tiny hole under the muffler so it can drains out any water from the muffler. He even showed me the tiny hole from a different car muffler, and I did notice that indeed it had a tiny hole. So he drilled a tiny hole on my muffler and told me to drive about a week so all the water inside my muffler evaporate then retest the car. I am hoping it is just the muffler that caused the problem! I've plan retest the car this Saturday and hoping that I'll pass this time and the CEL is still off by then

Thx for the recommendation. If the muffler is not the problem, I'll try to add seal conditioner. BTW what is the different between Engine oil treatment, claiming to stop oil leak, and seal conditioner. Are they the same? I check at the auto store and all they carry is engine oil treatment.
I understand the whole thing about a drain hole and stuff but I don't understand how that would play a part in causing BLUE SMOKE to come out of the exhaust. From your original post, it sounds like your OBDII test passed (meaning no Check Engine Light is on and your car thinks your emissions are good) and they failed you because they saw blue smoke coming out the back and manually overrode the passed result and failed you.

If this is the case, I don't see how a drain hole that lets all the excess water drain from the muffler will cause any LESS blue smoke. All the water in the world being in your muffler won't cause blue smoke to come out the back! There is oil getting into your cylinders somehow. Until you remedy that, I don't think it will stop blue smoke coming out the back. Do you see blue smoke when you have the car running??? You could run your car a quart low on oil to see if it stops and then refill it back after you pass your test. That's something else that might work.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Megatron
I understand the whole thing about a drain hole and stuff but I don't understand how that would play a part in causing BLUE SMOKE to come out of the exhaust. From your original post, it sounds like your OBDII test passed (meaning no Check Engine Light is on and your car thinks your emissions are good) and they failed you because they saw blue smoke coming out the back and manually overrode the passed result and failed you.

If this is the case, I don't see how a drain hole that lets all the excess water drain from the muffler will cause any LESS blue smoke. All the water in the world being in your muffler won't cause blue smoke to come out the back! There is oil getting into your cylinders somehow. Until you remedy that, I don't think it will stop blue smoke coming out the back. Do you see blue smoke when you have the car running??? You could run your car a quart low on oil to see if it stops and then refill it back after you pass your test. That's something else that might work.
Yea, i see your point. I just got an oil changed today and i saw some blue smoke while the car was moving. So i think the car is burning some oils. I think I'll add some oil treatment like one of the member recommended me, and let see that help or not. I hope it's not the piston rings or anything too serious, don't have $$$ money to rebuild the engine or a used one.
BTW, like i have mentioned before the mechanic replaced the valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals, I recheck the tube there were a little oil in 2 of tubes but not a lots of oil compare before the valve cover gaskets replacement. Do you thing this might cause the problem. Thx
Old 10-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like some burning oil but wat do iknw... And if you fixed the leak shits gotta burn off..
Old 10-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Banned

I feel bad for ya man, havin to run around and get it fixed lol..... the muffler thing is pointless blue smoke means oil is getting in the cylinders
Old 10-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Banned

You may need a valve job, at least get the piston rings replaced
Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^dude thats what I don't want to hear, somewhere over 2 grand to replace the piston rings. I'm going back to the mechanic and let them redo the spark plug seals, i paid $200 for a valve cover gasket and found there were still oils around my spark plug. Anyway, I need four new tires and a battery thats like another 600$. I'm going broke before the car is fixed. I have student loans to repay too
Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

BS just failed test again due to visible smoke. Can it be the valve stem seal need to be replaced?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Pro

BS just failed test again due to visible smoke. Can it be the valve stem seal need to be replaced?
If you don't want to get into hard-core engine rebuild costs, you should try running like a quart low on oil and see if it still smokes. Basically, your goal is just to get it to not smoke long enough to pass the test. Sometimes, running low on oil will result in the oil level not being high enough to get into the cylinders... It's worth a shot.

What I don't understand is how the HECK your Check Engine Light doesn't come on with that kind of exhaust!
Old 11-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Running with a quart low of oil didn't work. My oil level is between the MIN and MAX so I don't know if that a quart low or not but it is still producing smoke when I rev the engine. Yea, i'm a little surprise that the CEL is not on. Before that I had a CEL for the EGR flow, and I just replaced with a new EGR pipe and so far is still off. Anyway, I've planned to take it to the shop this Thursday and let them diagnose what's the problem. And they need to fix the damn oil leak on the back of the engine after they replaced my valve cover gaskets.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Pro

Running with a quart low of oil didn't work. My oil level is between the MIN and MAX so I don't know if that a quart low or not but it is still producing smoke when I rev the engine. Yea, i'm a little surprise that the CEL is not on. Before that I had a CEL for the EGR flow, and I just replaced with a new EGR pipe and so far is still off. Anyway, I've planned to take it to the shop this Thursday and let them diagnose what's the problem. And they need to fix the damn oil leak on the back of the engine after they replaced my valve cover gaskets.
Between min and max is not a quart low.... that's more like half a quart. You need the oil level below the MIN mark. It won't hurt your engine to just test with it that low to see if it smokes.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Damn, I just checked with the mechanic and he told me it's going be like $2000+ to fix the blue smoke! He said he needs to remove the head in order to remove the valve stem seals. 2G is like more than Half the value of the car already, so I don't know what to do. Should I fix the car, sell "as it" or retired the car. The car has 174k and is still running great. The other option I think is to get a low mileage engine and have it install
hopefully it will be a lots cheaper than fix the car. But before that I might as well try the oil treatment first.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:22 PM
10th Gear

have you tried running some berryman b12 thru your gas tank? worked for my old e30 bmw for years..
Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

No. I just saving up for the repair.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Getting a used lower miles engine its going to be cheaper.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Yea, i'm still debating should I repair or get an used engine. But the problem with an used engine is that you don't know the condition of its. With an used engine, sitting a long time without any fluids inside could dry out the gaskets and the timing belt needs to replaced too. So im still asking around to get replace the valve stem seals without remove the head!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I just want to give a little update on this, so I just got another quote from a difference shop for ~$1300. I think this is a great deal for sure a job. The mechanic told me before he actually doing the repair, he is going to perform a compression test to make sure it is not just only the valve stem seals, the piston rings... I hope it is just the valve stem seals
Old 11-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Continue to keep us posted. We feel for you and hope things work out on the cheaper side.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

I just had a chance to talk to the mechanic who initially gave me 1300$ quote. After looking at my car and he found oil both the inside (on the tip) and outside 2 of the spark plugs on the passenger side. He then gave me a different quote, 1400$ labor only plus head gasket and machine the head so it's eventually going to be around 2000$.
Anyway, what do you guys think? Should i repair the engine for 2G or get a used engine. I found a shop that can swap out the engine but they only have JDM engine available, and I've heard that a JDM engine won't pass emission test.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a used one, it is going to be much cheaper.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Hi, look what I got!
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Problem solved! No more smoke! Hopefully it will last me another 2 years
Old 04-11-2012, 08:21 AM
1st Gear

Problem solved! No more smoke! Hopefully it will last me another 2 years
Did you end up replacing the engine or getting the work done to fix it?
Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Burning Brakes

I got it fix. I first quoted through a friend shop around $2k to fix the problem. I said bullshit, no thx lol. My brother in-law had a friend who worked at a Honda dealer fixed my car for $1K.