AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G RL (1996-2004) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rl-1996-2004-77/)
-   -   Front end suspension rattling over bumps (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rl-1996-2004-77/front-end-suspension-rattling-over-bumps-957518/)

jettyjett23 04-24-2017 10:51 PM

Front end suspension rattling over bumps

I have an Acura RL 2002. When I go over bumps at around 5 to 45 mph
I hear rattling from my tire area as if my brakes are loose. Also, when I am driving at high speeds and press on the brakes, my car shakes and rattles around the front even more.

Thanks
Randy

Ron A 04-24-2017 11:51 PM

Welcome to the forums.

This thread has been moved from the Second Generation TL (1999-2003) Forum to the forum applicable to your car.

projektvertx 04-25-2017 06:06 AM

The noise over bumps reads like sway bar end links but I don't think that's what you have going on. I would take off the wheel and see what's going on. How many miles are on the car?

Rex Kramer 04-25-2017 06:54 AM

Make sure all of the bolts securing your struts are tight.

XSNRG 04-30-2017 07:09 AM

Difficult to diagnose: Intermittant front end rattle and shake while braking

Thank you RL poster jettyjett23 (and Rex Kramer for the reply), for the errant post.

I have had the identical symptoms on my 02 TLS, for two years. Struts were changed during that visit @200K miles, along with oil pan. Indy mechanic (he's maintained this car since 2009) insists all is well.

Is there a published torque spec for the strut bolts? Other possibilities?

I've also seen increased tire wear on Right front tire, it wears twice as fast as the Left Front. Alignment is good (maybe), have had it checked at multiple shops. The Acura dealer (Roanoke, VA) is the only facility that told me my alignment needed adjustment when I drove in for the Airbag recall last year (along with a host of other 'adjustments' that totaled a good sum of cash. My indy states his alignment rig is checked/maintained annually. I forget the make/model, but can look back in my notes, if needed.

My front end shake comes when braking down a specific hill (I live in mountains), @62-70mph.
The rattle generally occurs while on curvy paved or gravel, or transitioning from gravel to pavement (but not pavement to gravel).

Keep in mind these symptoms have been, in tandem, doing this for two years (20K miles). All the normal checks have been done multiple times, multiple mechanics for 2nd and 3rd opinions. Only result is head scratches. Would the addition of 200# of passenger change anything? The rattle only happens when I'm alone, not when I have my wife, or commuting buddy. Not when my kids (2 boys + car seat weight) are in the back seat. I'm pretty sure I've nearly been fired as a customer. Grateful for the RL poster above. Now I know I'm not alone.

XSNRG 05-19-2017 05:18 AM

bump. Nothing for jettyjett23 and other interested followers?

projektvertx 05-19-2017 08:16 AM

How is that right front tire wearing faster? On the inside, outside, choppy, etc?

El-Baz 05-23-2017 07:36 PM

I'd make sure your brakes are OK. Shaking under braking is usually a warped rotor(s). You could also have something loose or worn that is making it worse and is what you're hearing on bumps. I have an '02 and the hood clunks on my dirt road. Just fine on pavement.

rickb20us 09-27-2023 04:45 PM

XSNRG

Sorry to resurrect an old post - 99 RL with rattle from front right side. Sounds suspension related. 5 different mechanics have been unable to find it. Any updates/solutions with your situation?

My rattle doesn't seem to affect handling or braking at all.

RxRC 10-06-2023 09:14 PM

I had a clicking rattling sound up front. The car drove fine. It was an upper control arm. $195 oem , easy to replace.