Does anyone have these issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone have these issue?

I have a 2004 RL navi just turned 100091 miles today, it has always been maintained very well, but I don't know if these issues are normal.

1. The last thousand mikes or so when it's hot out. the cooling fans and interior fan are on high and at idle the interior blower slows noticeably. If the headlights are on you can see the rear parking lights dim when I'm next to my white garage door. The alternator and battery have been checked and seem fine. Is that normal?

2. This other problem kinda goes with the first problem... But... The blower motor inside doesn't seem very powerful at all I have replaced filters no difference, even with them out it seems like not enough air comes through. I know that honda isn't known for every having ac systems that blow tons of air but it seems like 2/3rds what my accord was. I hear the relay or whatever clicking when it goes to high.

It's my first Rl maybe I. Just being picky but I just wanted to know if anyone else has these problems.

Thanks and happy Monday.

Last edited by georgy_d28; 07-08-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Forgot part
Old 07-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a similar problem as your second one. My blower fan feels really weak and sometimes makes funny noises like "ERRRHHHHHHHHHHHH" when switching from hot to cold or turning on for the first time in a while. I'm pretty positive its just a dying blower fan. Yours sounds like it might be going too.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Cash Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that the 2002 RL (at least) was known for cooling down the interior at a phenomenal rate (tests were done apparently). Previously having an accord as well, I would say the rate of air that comes out in my RL on high is comparable to my accord. Like Eddie, I would probably say the fan motor is dying. Although I would say its ot out of the ordinary for the lights to dim a very very small amount when the compressor turns on. However they should go back to their original brightness within a few seconds.

I tend to use the ECON mode a lot on my RL while using the A/C, although I don't think the 04's have that correct?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pro-Pilot
I remember reading somewhere that the 2002 RL (at least) was known for cooling down the interior at a phenomenal rate (tests were done apparently). Previously having an accord as well, I would say the rate of air that comes out in my RL on high is comparable to my accord. Like Eddie, I would probably say the fan motor is dying. Although I would say its ot out of the ordinary for the lights to dim a very very small amount when the compressor turns on. However they should go back to their original brightness within a few seconds.

I tend to use the ECON mode a lot on my RL while using the A/C, although I don't think the 04's have that correct?
The RL is equipped with a truly state-of-the-art automatic climate control and air conditioning system. The system is not only powerful, in terms of cooling capacity and efficiency, but it is also extremely quiet, even when quickly cooling the interior on a hot Death Valley day. Even rear-seat passengers have personal control over the direction of heating or cooling air coming their way. Great pains have been taken to ensure cooling uniformity from front to rear, and an innovative subcondenser has been added to the AlC system, improving the efficiency of the unit substantially. In controlled testing, the AlC system cooled the interior from 100 degrees F to 70 degrees F in 15 minutes. Quicker than any other competitor in its class. The system is also environmentally friendly, using non CFC R134a refrigerant.

It's all of the RLs that have the ability to cool quickly... Yes the 04's have Econ, it's in the nag screen under ac info.

Well I guess i will start looking for a blower motor.

I had an accord hybrid before this the lights never so much as slightly dimmed even with a full load. Haha
Old 07-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Cash Registered Member

Yup you found it. I have had to replace my radiator at around 165,000, but other than that everything has run smoothly. The only thing I have noticed is that the interior gets EXTREMELY hot on hot sunny days. My interior is black, which obviously helps the heating, however in all of the cars I have owned, I have never had an interior heat up as much as my RL. In fact, in the trunk, some of the plastic from a tool kit set melted due to the heat and I have never had that happen O.O

As far as the lights dimming, yea I haven't noticed that on my RL either, however I do see it sometimes on other cars that are in front of my while sitting at a light or something.

And I haven't really noticed any major gas savings with the ECON mode on vs. off. Have you?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pro-Pilot
Yup you found it. I have had to replace my radiator at around 165,000, but other than that everything has run smoothly. The only thing I have noticed is that the interior gets EXTREMELY hot on hot sunny days. My interior is black, which obviously helps the heating, however in all of the cars I have owned, I have never had an interior heat up as much as my RL. In fact, in the trunk, some of the plastic from a tool kit set melted due to the heat and I have never had that happen O.O

As far as the lights dimming, yea I haven't noticed that on my RL either, however I do see it sometimes on other cars that are in front of my while sitting at a light or something.

And I haven't really noticed any major gas savings with the ECON mode on vs. off. Have you?
i totally understand what you mean about the car getting hot on summer days. I have honestly never had a car that heats up as fast as this one, mine is black with tan leather and with the Texas heat my car regularly gets over 150 degrees inside.

I actually did a mini test with "ON" v. "ECON" a 90 or so mile drive from my house to Shamrock, TX for a wedding. filled up both directions.

temp set to 59 degrees, 80 MPH the whole way

"ON" was 22.44
"ECON" was 22.51

so not really a difference. i have a thermometer in the vents and it will stay between 32-36 on "ON" and on "ECON" it goes no higher than 40 even in the city sitting still.

i drive like crap in the city so I stay around 15 mpgs or so...

i have also added about 30lbs of dynamat on the floor of the car, omg there is a HUGE difference, even on our loud roads here i can barely hear it.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Cash Registered Member

Yea, I didn't really think it made a big difference. I actually dynamated my car as well, however I noticed it sagging a little, as if there were many large people in my car, and I didn't like the look so I took it out (however the sound reduction was awesome). I often wished they would have put a self-leveling suspension in the rear. I couldn't even put a sub in without it sagging.