Buying an 02 RL, just need better input from fellow owners. THANKS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 AM
初めまして

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Buying an 02 RL, just need better input from fellow owners. THANKS!

hey guys,

I've been searching for a car for my parents and ran into a (White) 2002 RL in very good condition, and i need some inputs from you fellow RL owners.

Carfax shows one owner, clean title with about every 3 months of servicing through an Acura dealer. It has all the receipts from repairs to tune-up. It has new battery and Michelin tires, new rear calipers.. these were one of the few i saw of the receipts. Just had a recent inspection of 5/12/09 so for me that's really good.

My only concern is due to the high mileage that my friends are telling me not to get it. It's a corporate car and has about 186K miles in it. The asking price is $5000 (which would be our ceiling of purchasing a 2nd car for my parents).

I test drove it yesterday afternoon, and did your typical inspection of a (Honda/Acura) car enthusiast.. and i was impressed of it's condition.

I really appreciate your input guys!

Thanks!
josh
Old 05-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
my rulebook goes like this:

i would be very very hesitant to buy a car that was either owned and driven by a lady, used as a corporate car, or leased...

because based upon my own experience, every single women that I have ever dated or being friends with, never takes care of their cars (including my own family members). all they know is how to pump gas and drive. one of my ex-girl drove with a tire flat that was literally torn to pieces and the wheel was scrapping the road making loud noises yet she did not have a single clue what was going on until she stopped at a red light and some nice gentleman told her that her tire was gone.

corporate cars and leased car are abused cars. why? because it's not theirs...so they beat the crap out of it.

at 186K and a corporate car, i would stay far away from it. spending $5K to buy may sound super good but you will most likely ending up spending another $5K to fix it. and don't rely so much on carfax. they don't have all the details. for example, my brother crashed his Legend and spent $6K fixing it. because it wasn't reported to his insurance and he paid out of pocket to repair it, it wasn't listed on carfax.

but the final word is yours so you make the call.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
I say have the suspension checked. (bushings and ball joints) have a compressiion and leakdown test performed.

One last thing would be the tranny and diff. if there are receipts for fluidchange and it shifts normally I might not worry about it much.

If all those check out there shouldnt be a reason not to purchase if its in ur range.

lack of fluid changes is what causes the most wear on cars. even when u beat on them.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:50 PM
初めまして

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That's what my co-workers were telling me about corporate lease cars. Company owned so they drive it like it's not their own, which ends up being abused in the end.

Even when i checked all the bushings, on the garage floor, on my back, and they all seem fine without rips or leaks. The car has it's monthly check-up on Rallye Acura so they should be doing their job in checking all fluids from oil to transmission, coolant to AC.

But i was hesitant about the high-mileage and being a leased company car.

I appreciate for your input guys, i might look for another car within our price range.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes i use to know a mazda company car insurance guy that dealt with all the accidents and problems of their own cars and he would tell me the worst of things how people treated the car.

but to be honest, 5K is really cheap for a 02. the money you save you could put it towards repairs, and if you havent known already...honda's cost very cheap to repair.

goodluck with your buy!
Old 06-11-2009, 04:56 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
apparently you can take it to acura for a "buyers inspection"
Old 06-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Needs to clean up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The car seems to have been periodically mainatained and that too @ an acura dealer. Seems like a very good value for $5000. Keep a couple of things in mind,
depending when the TB/WP was last updated you may be needing to look into it withing the next 10-15K miles approx $1000 - $1300
Since it is out of the 10yr/150K warranty, if you have any SRS light issue due to OPSD that will not be covered by Acura approx $400,
at that age/mileage you may be due to replace some of the suspension components.

Some times the Single owner, Corporate Lease cars are probably better cared for than 3 private owners on a same car (especially when you get all the service records) as you only see the most current owner and how he seems to have taken care of the car and do not know if the First 2 owners (one of which could have been a lease) ever took care of the car, changed fluids on time, etc.