Aftermarket Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012 | 10:02 PM
Racer

Question Aftermarket Navigation System

Hello everyone,

I recently crashed my 98 RL w/ navigation and I found a RL Premium replacement but it doesn't have navigation.

I was going to swap out the navigation wiring harness and just install my old navigation system into the "new" car, but the radio connections between the new radio and the old radio are not the same, so I would not be able to still use my fancy in-trunk CD changer.

So, to get to the point, has anyone here successfully installed an aftermarket navigation system into the dash?

If so, which one did you install?

Can you still use the CD changer?

And, lastly, how much am I looking at spending?

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-19-2012 | 11:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Several memebers have installed aftermarket radios. The most difficult part is making a trim piece to fill the empty space.

As far as using the cd changer. I believe alpine made an adapter that would allow you to use the older style 8pin changer with the newer mbus style. It might be the other way around though. Most likelyhood is that you will lose your cd changer with an aftermarket unit unless you do some customizing of your own.

if you install yourself it will be the cost of the radio and adapter wiring harness, well what year RL do you have now?
Old 05-19-2012 | 10:42 PM
Racer

Hey, thanks for the information.

I actually got the same year (1998).

I did a little more research on it and found this http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...sh-kit-107215/ which says that I can use the same face if I go double-din. I just have to not gorp it up!

But this is the unit I was actually thinking of going with.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Din-H...13374429270820

I'd be willing to sacrifice the CD changer for everything else this unit offers though.
I like to do a little bit of modification, but nothing too extreme, like floor lights, LEDs in the instrument panel (actually used the forum for that project), things like that.

I'll post some pictures once I get everything looking nice.
Old 05-24-2012 | 08:36 PM
7th Gear

i put a Double Din pioneer nav in my 97 that had factory nav. what i did was get a new bezel off a 99+ non navi type with the factory radio brackets and climate control. these parts cost me about $100 on ebay

drill new holes in brackets to mount new unit.
use metra part number 95-8211 mounting kit ($20 retail)
trim to fit opening in new bezel.
make new mounting tabs for mounting kit to mount to rear of bezel.
swap fog light and rear defrost switch, they plug right in.
take guts of hazard switch and install inside housing of switch in climate control
wire up 12v+, GND and 12v switched for the clock next to new hazard
climate control plugs in and works. even keeps temp display in cluster
use pac or metro steering wheel control adaptor ($80 retail)
use standard honda wire harness, premium sound harness likely won't be loud enough ($20)

may want to drop RCA's and remote if ur gonna do amp/subs

as far as the changer goes, who cares? a new nav will have USB and/or IPOD. u can store way more music on a flash drive or IPOD than on six discs.

plus aftermarket is way tighter than factory when it comes to nav. u can get updates for free with most (that aren't from2002), u can watch dvd, the new jvc units have detachable face screens and show u the speed limit of the road ur on. pioneers are ok but like their deck they will likely develop cosmetic or button issues. haven't used the new alpine stuff much and the sony is a little harder to use than it should be if u ask me. for the price and the features if i were buying to day it would be JVC.
Old 05-24-2012 | 08:43 PM
7th Gear

i checked that link on the other type of install. that's kinda how i did mine originally and i still have all the parts. i didn't like it bc since mine has nav, the radio is a separate piece that sits below the screen. so when it was done i had a factory radio with a dd screen above it and had to run the audio thru the carnger bus cable. it worked fine but having two radios in ur dash (unless they both have screens) is kinda ghetto.

the way they did it in that link is better but i can tell u the cutting was slow and easily took 3-4 hours to do right and i do this for a living. plus if u don't get the unit low enough u will run into the heavy steel cross brace behind the dash, which sucks.