75000 mile maintenance? Is it neccessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:05 PM
M to da DZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
75000 mile maintenance? Is it neccessary?

Pretty self explanatory title. I am due for 75000 maintenance. Have had it in the shop twice since my 60k for various little things. Got good life on my tires left, and was going to bring it in for an oil change and tire rotate/balance at 75k. Just don't feel like spending the money to have them inspect all that crap and then find nothing wrong. I was thinking of waiting until 90k.

What is the consensus? It seems 90k and 105k are the biggies. Is it safe to skip 75k?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:10 PM
M to da DZ

Oh just to follow up, I have a 2002 RL with 74000 miles on it. According to owner link, they change oil, replace oil filter, rotate balance tires, and then inspect a bunch of stuff. My dealership does a 27 point inspection when I take it in, which i'm sure is not inclusive, but at least checks fluid levels, etc. Plus I don't mess around driving it hard and whatnot. I just drive it as it's normally meant to be driven, no long trips, etc.

Looking forward to folks thoughts on this, thanks.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I'd recommend oil change, rotate if needed, balance if you're feeling vibrations at freeway speeds. Have you had your cabin filter replaced in the past 35,000 miles or so? If not, its probably filthy.

Other than that, you should be good until 90K
Old 05-10-2008, 11:05 AM
M to da DZ

Thanks for the reply Ken. No vibrations at all when driving freeway speeds, which I do everyday. Tires are only about 20000 miles old and going strong. Brake pads will need replaced soon but no vibration or squeeling on them, so I'm good there.

Probably have not replaced the cabin filter, if it wasn't replaced at 60000 miles. Is it neccessary to do it, and how tough is that as a do-it-yourself job? I see in the 60k maintenance, "replace air cleaner element". Is that the same as the cabin filter? If so, then it was done at 60k.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Air cleaner element is for the engine.

The cabin filter is also known as the pollen filter. It'll probably cost you about 60 bucks. Its a pain in the ass to change, especially the first time. You'll have to remove the glovebox and several plastic panels so you can access it. I think 99% of people would be better off having a tech do it for them.

If you don't have a mildew odor in the car, you're probably ok. Totally up to you.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:05 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
There is a "step-by-step guide at /forums Matt. Takes about an hour the first time.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Advanced

I have 78k on mine. Just changed my oil changed and had front pads replaced / rotors turned about 1k ago. I usually wait till the 30k's. i guess it depends on where you live and how much urban driving you do. I bought mine two years ago with 46k on it, and I just did my 60k. Did have to take it back to the dealer because my axle seals were leaking. the tranny was leaking sligthly, and so was the power steering pump. It was all covered under warranty, so I didn't have to spend a dime. Guess those are the chances with buying used, but other than that.... no problems. My mechanic has specialized in Hondas/acuras for over 20 years, he said everything else looked good. I was worried with all the leaks, but thank God for Acura Care.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Cruisin'

You should change the differential gear oil periodically. Every 30K the manual says I believe. If you change your own oil changing the differential gear oil is easy as well as long as you are under the car.

If you have never changed the brake fluid this should be done. With two people it may take 30-45 minutes.

You should also drain and replace the transmission fluid if it's never been done. If I remember I think 3 quarts come out and then poor 3 quarts in. Easy.

Replacing the coolant in the radiator should be done if you haven't yet. Fresh coolant also helps to lube the water pump.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Banned

Question also known by its users as MSN

must sign in with your

Good,and tell us funny thing!

Remember these are averages, and the

has been in a drought for some time. Old timers in

Prescott will tell you how almost every afternoon in July and August they got their almost like clockwork.

They still get quite frequent short showers but for the last few years they have not been as regular

world of warcraft power leveling-Welcome to buy the Leveling
shanghai massage-massage vip service in shanghai
shanghai massage-massage vip service in shanghai
world of warcraft gold-power leveling from us
Old 05-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
lol I don't think is neccessary to maintence a RL. The RL is bullet proof!!! Seriously I have a 96 RL with 145k miles with no problem, without doing the major maintences stated in the book. Just change the oil and use premium gas!
Old 05-31-2008, 09:30 PM
M to da DZ

Originally Posted by turbobore
You should change the differential gear oil periodically. Every 30K the manual says I believe. If you change your own oil changing the differential gear oil is easy as well as long as you are under the car.

If you have never changed the brake fluid this should be done. With two people it may take 30-45 minutes.

You should also drain and replace the transmission fluid if it's never been done. If I remember I think 3 quarts come out and then poor 3 quarts in. Easy.

Replacing the coolant in the radiator should be done if you haven't yet. Fresh coolant also helps to lube the water pump.
So guys, I wanted to get back with everyone on what I did. I decided to go with the 75k maintenance. Below is a short list of what it included...

oil filter and change
rotate balance tires
cabin filter
air filter
coolant
brake fluid
rear differential fluid

It's great that you all came up with these items in the posts, and it's actually what I needed done. I'm not extremely handy so had the dealership take care of it all. Of note, the brake fluid was not included in the 75k maintenance. They inspected the brake system and found my brake fluid had not been replaced, and apparently it's not part of any scheduled maintenance. It needs flushed and replaced every 4 years.

All in all, Acura Carland (dealership in Atlanta, GA) took excellent care, but 75k maintenance was a little more important than I initially thought, and am glad I went through with all the replacements.

Hope this helps those who are less technically included with their automobile (like me).

-Matt
Old 06-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Advanced

I would think that you can get by with doing the major ones at the 30k intervals - definitely changing all the fluids. Of course depending on where you live and how much urban driving you do.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 3.5RLv-tec?
lol I don't think is neccessary to maintence a RL. The RL is bullet proof!!! Seriously I have a 96 RL with 145k miles with no problem, without doing the major maintences stated in the book. Just change the oil and use premium gas!
Yes the RL is built very well and could be driven for a long time with only oil and filter changes. However, even a "tank" needs all of the proper maintenance done for it to last a looong time.

When I first met my wife she had a '91 Legend. I am a serious backyard mechanic and take my maintenance seriously, so one day soon after meeting her I decided to check the oil and nothing showed on the dipstick! I told her she was low on oil and she needs to pay more attention to that kind of stuff or she will destroy her engine. She said she had destoyed two other previous cars, one by running out of water and the other out of oil. LOL. She's a fabulous cook but has zero concern for anything mechanical. Says thats man's work. Well we got serious and of course I took over maintenance of the Legend. Even with her lack of maintenance on the car for the first 90K miles it still went for many more trouble free miles. It did burn a bit of oil, due to her inattention, starting around 150K miles. In 2003 we traded it for the '02 RL when it had 275K miles on it.