2002 Acura RL mysterious squishy brake pedal problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2022 | 09:12 PM
7th Gear

2002 Acura RL mysterious squishy brake pedal problem

I bought a 2002 Acura RL from a person who had the outside and inside looking great. The only problem was that it would start then stop. I was happy to have fixed that with a new main relay which made my day.
As soon as I got it running I decided to take it for a spin and the brakes were very squishy but it would stop but the pedal was to the floor. After further inspection I found a frozen front caliper so I completely changed out both front calipers with rotors and new pads.
I bled all four wheels but it was still squishy so further down the rat hole I went.
I replaced the master cylinder and bled all four wheel with same results.
I fired the parts canon and just replaced the vacuum brake booster to only have the same results.
This leaves me with only a few choices left.
With no brake or ABS lights on the dash and no DTCs in the computer could it be the abs pump or the abs module.
My scanner of course has no way to activate or test these components because of the age of the car.
I assume the ABS pump is right next to the master cylinder and the abs module is on the passengar side I believe.

Any thoughts as to what maybe my issue? I have read through multiple pages of this forum but can't find anything similar.
Old 02-21-2022 | 11:10 AM
Instructor

the abs system is completely separate my guess is it wont be that did you check the poportioning valve and THOROUGHLY bench bleed the master cylinder before u put it on
Another thing is if the flex lines are compromised this will happen too I put stoptech steel braided lines in my rl in the front as rears were unavailable and that improved the pedal feel
has to be something else with all the parts you chgd
The following users liked this post:
Krewl1 (02-22-2022)
Old 02-21-2022 | 11:29 AM
7th Gear

I haven't checked the proportion valve so I will try and locate it today.

I did put on new flex lines when I replaced the fronts when I did the calipers rotors etc. I have ordered new rear flex lines and new rotors and pads to complete the trifecta since the pads were low.

I did bleed the master before I intstalled it pumping it thoroughly though I am no fan of those plastic bench bleeder kits. Being a shade tree mechanic it did throw me off as attached to the master is the pump.which I do not know the name of it but assume it aids in the braking.

So far the car is like I got it. If the engine is off the pedal is hard but when I run the car the pedal almost hits the floor but it does stop the vehicle.
I have no codes and I pressure bleed the brakes.

Slowly but surely I will rule out the last remaining things it could possibly be. The proportioning valve being the top of the list.
Old 02-22-2022 | 02:01 PM
7th Gear

Thank you @Babafats for putting the ideas into my head in chasing this down. I finally went and redid everything just to make sure I did everything right. In the end my new Master cyclinder was the culprit even though I changed out the old and bench bled it. I only replaced the master cylinder after your comments and you were correct in your intial diagnosis.

I went back to Crapa and got another one and bench bled it . I hate it when "new" parts fail. My car can now acutally stops. Now off to the next few demons in this ride.

Old 02-22-2022 | 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Krewl1
Thank you @Babafats for putting the ideas into my head in chasing this down. I finally went and redid everything just to make sure I did everything right. In the end my new Master cyclinder was the culprit even though I changed out the old and bench bled it. I only replaced the master cylinder after your comments and you were correct in your intial diagnosis.

I went back to Crapa and got another one and bench bled it . I hate it when "new" parts fail. My car can now acutally stops. Now off to the next few demons in this ride.
DOA "New" parts are the fricking worst...
Old 02-28-2022 | 08:13 PM
Instructor

Fantastic

I hope they changed it under warranty and you did'nt have to pay again!! New parts fail too