Unsafe lane changes and quick turns. Dealer says normal

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 06:19 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unsafe lane changes and quick turns. Dealer says normal

Hi Guys,

I bought a used certified 2012 RDS FWD about 3 months ago. Ever since I bought it, something didnt seem well with the steering. The dealer did an alignment but that didnt solve the problem. I feel like the steering is too loose. A few days ago, I pulled over on the side of the highway to check something on my phone and when I tried to get back on to the highway, I felt like the steering was out of control for a moment before I could get back onto the lane. Basically, there was a pull to one side for a moment. The same thing happens when I change lanes suddenly or turn suddenly. The dealer says it is normal with this car because it has got turbo. He says since it is a FWD, all the turbo is going on just the front two wheels and its too much for them to handle. Hence I am losing control for a moment in these situations.
I think If it is normal, then it is a poor design.

I also have to keep adjusting the steering bit to keep the car on a straight line on highways. This one is not so annoying but it doesnt feel normal either. Its just unsafe. I drove a Nissan Quest recently (new model) and didnt feel the same (just comparing Japanese cars) but the dealer says that is because the Nissan probably had an electric steering and this model Acura RDX doesnt.

I was thinking the dealer is just trying to avoid replacing steering box or other related items since it is under warranty. Hence I wanted to check with you 2012 RDX with FWD owners to see if what the dealer said is true. Do you agree with this guys? Is this how your car feels too?

Thanks very much in advance for your replies
Old 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
You are probably correct. The steering box runs about $350 at the dealer. My suggestion would be to take a sample of the Power Steering fluid. If the box is bad, the fluid should be discolored, perhaps smell bad, and have contaminants in it. I would do it like:

Take a clean white t-shirt
Remove about a teaspoon of P/S fluid
Put it on the white t-shirt. How does the fluid look?
I would also use your cell phone to video tape the entire procedure so you can show the dealer as we are assuming there are contaminants in the fluid.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:01 PM
6th Gear

thanks Crashmaster. Will check that sometime soon.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:02 PM
6th Gear

In general, does any 2012 RDX FWD owner feel their steering is loose like mine?
Old 07-20-2017, 09:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
So the dealership is basically saying that what you are experiencing is torque steer. Is it? Have you experienced torque steer before? When this perceived loss of control is happening, are you under heavy throttle? I can imagine you being under half to full throttle when pulling back onto the highway, but when changing lanes I think not.