Tires for the most quiet/comfortable ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires for the most quiet/comfortable ride?

I know there are a lot of threads already for the best performing all-season/winter tires; however, may I ask all drivers out there what tires they have found to produce quietest / most comfortable ride in an RDX?

I currently have the stock Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's on my RDX, and in searching the forum, found that most people recommend Continental, Yokohama, and Bridgestone for driving performance in various weather/road conditions. Some folks have also said that certain brands are quieter; however, I wanted to know for certain before putting down the cash that your brand/model of tire is indeed much more quiet/comfortable than the stock Michelins. (e.g. if we learned that Yokohama Envigors were almost as good as the Continental DWS on dry/wet/light snow, but were quieter than Continentals and much quieter than the Michelins - I would buy the Yokohamas.)

(In case anyone was wondering: no, I cannot afford to buy another car with a softer ride and the discerning passengers in my RDX - namely aging parents/in-laws who I take around to their various destinations from time to time - are asking for such!)

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you thought about the potential of summer and winter tires? With tire compounds geared toward the specific season the road noise is typically reduced (generally, but not in all cases).
Old 03-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
The Yoko's are quiet(er) than the stock Mich. But as far as which tire offers the most silent ride on the RDX no one would be able to answer because we have not done a side by side. There is another member who is running the Bridgestone Dueler HT and spoke highly of them. do a search for them and read his notes on the tire.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:04 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I had the OEM Michelins for 35,000 miles on my TSX and I just could not stand the noise and the squeal on corners any more. I switched to Bridgestone 960AS and these tires were super quiet and lots of grip in the dry and wet. Unfortunately, the snow/slush performance wasn’t that great and tread life was about 35,000 miles.

I switched to Conti DWS and these tires had all the advantages of the Bridgestone 960AS with the added bonus of a longer tread life of 540 compared to 300, cheaper price, and outstanding snow/slush performance. I liked the tires so much; I purchased the Conti DWS for the wife’s RDX a few weeks ago. The Conti DWS provide excellent grip on the curves (no more tire squeal when I push the RDX) and they don’t produce the same level of noise like the OEM Michelins. Every Honda/Acura I’ve owned (8 total in 20 years) are all above average with road noise, a good set of tires is one of the ways to lower the noise other than using dynamat.

I like the way the Conti feel at around 34-35 PSI. If you ran about 30 PSI with the Conti, that would soften the ride a bit more. You will be border line for the TMPS on the really cold mornings; but, you should be A-OK with spring/summer around the corner. You might also take a hit on you gas mileage with the lower pressure.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks RDX guy - I forgot to mention I was looking for quiet, comfortable all-season tires I could use for three seasons. I have Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow's already for the winter (which are noisier than stock but work really well in the mountains during winter!).

Thanks Mr. Marco and mrgold35 - true enough - one may not have done a side-by-side comparison of all tires, but I'll look into the Envigors, Duelers, and DWS' a little more (and prices for such).
Old 04-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Advanced

I have the Dueler Alenza H/L on my 09 RDX and I recently had a 2011 RDX as a loaner with the OEM michelins. I think the Michelins were quieter and did better on the highway, but they were terrible in wet conditions due to the closed tread pattern.

I think the biggest thing you have to look at is tread design. The more crossing lines, the better traction, but the more noise. Just look at your winter treads. You'll want to find something that looks like the Michelin as far as directions lines, but a little more open on the outside of the pattern to let water/snow/slush escape. It's too bad that Cooper doesn't make their HT Plus in RDX sizes. I have them on my Mountaineer and they are quiet, smooth, and a great all season tire that wears like IRON.

http://www.coopertires.com/html/prod...overer_ht_plus

Cooper does make their CS4 in an RDX size and I've heard great review on this tire for other small SUV/CUVs.
http://www.coopertires.com/html/prod...&artw=55&rd=18

Last edited by jbillakdsm; 04-06-2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-08-2011, 07:48 AM
5th Gear

I am currently using good year assurance comfortred touring tires. I have put in 500 miles on it, and it is very quiet! Perfect for NY potholes and with 70,000 miles tread life warranty.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recommend the Pirelli P Nero Zero tires. Put them on my RDX, great grip very quiet. Wouldnt know about the soft ride though since I have the performance springs.

I got the Pirellis on Ebay for $175 a tire free shipping, so I would recommend searching Ebay for any tire you decide. That was about $25 bucks per tire cheaper than anywhere else, including Tire Rack and had the free shipping. (and those are for 19" so if your staying with the 18s it should be even cheaper)
Old 04-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by droebuck
I recommend the Pirelli P Nero Zero tires. Put them on my RDX, great grip very quiet. Wouldnt know about the soft ride though since I have the performance springs.

I got the Pirellis on Ebay for $175 a tire free shipping, so I would recommend searching Ebay for any tire you decide. That was about $25 bucks per tire cheaper than anywhere else, including Tire Rack and had the free shipping. (and those are for 19" so if your staying with the 18s it should be even cheaper)
The price is right. Be careful with the Pirelli's as I had two with sidewall delamination. Pothole? Wife? Probably. Otherwise they are sticky.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Cruisin'

Just installed Nitto 850 CUV tires to replace the OE tires. Very quiet, with much more "stable" feel to the RDX when taking corners, grippy. Everyone has commented on how quiet the Nittos are. Haven't rained yet so can't comment on wet traction. We have a set of winters during the cold months so am not too concerned about the Nitto's grip during winter.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Cruisin'

It sounds like selection of quiet tires will not be an issue Many thanks everyone for sharing and jbillakdsm for indicating what to look for tread-wise! More price/comparison shopping to do this evening...
Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 AM
3rd Gear

If you are still looking then I'd say take a look at the following:
Michelin Energy MXV4 S8
Yokohama Prada Spec X
Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tred Touring

These tires will most likely offer you the quietest ride. Having said that, the goodyears tend to be average in wet weather/winter conditions. The Yokohama or Michelin would probably serve you the best in terms of quieter ride, good handling and good wet weather/snow traction.

Prada Spec X is considered to be a bit quieter than the Envigor and the continental DWS offers superior wet weather traction but tends to be louder than the rest of the group.

Hope this helps!

TireVan
www.TireVan.com
Old 08-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Cruisin'

General G-Max AS-03

I now have about 500 miles on the new G-Max's on my 08 and can't be more pleased. Noise levels way down compared to OEM's and traction is great. It is fun to zip around again! Looking forward to see how they perform this winter. For the price (Tire Rack), I think they are very hard to beat.