AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G RDX Tires, Wheels & Suspension (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-tires-wheels-suspension-362/)
-   -   Tires to avoid Tramlining on RDX 2007 (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-tires-wheels-suspension-362/tires-avoid-tramlining-rdx-2007-a-959319/)

Carbon Pearl 06-12-2017 01:49 PM

Tires to avoid Tramlining on RDX 2007

After searching the internet I finally now understand what my truck does on open grate bridges, it likes to get stuck in the grooves and tramlines as I drive across. It has done that as long as I have owned the car and the tires were newer. I mean it really wiggles on the bridges and no where else to the point it is very scary. I always make sure I have both hands on the wheel and if possible I slow down a bit. Now it is time for me to get new tires and I am looking for suggestions for a good All Season tire. All the conversations I have seen here are for TL's and other Acura's but no RDX's or MDX's for that matter in regards to tramlining, tires and Acura.

I currently have Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas 235/55R/18 which were not original but changed somewhere in the prior ownership chain. I wanted to know if there are any tires better than them to help avoid this issue. I live in Philadelphia and do most of my driving on the weekend as I can use PT to get to work much easier but I do drive a fair amount for volunteer work. Our snow when it comes can be a headache but that is more due to the city and its cleanup effort than anything. For those familiar with this area, it does not do it on grooved roads like Lincoln Drive's curves, but if there is an open grate bridge, the car is going to dance.

Thanks all

horseshoez 06-12-2017 02:06 PM

If tramline immunity was the ONLY metric I used to buy a new set of tires for a 2007 RDX, the tires I'd buy are as follows (from most likely to least likely):
  1. Goodyear Assuance CS TripleTred All-Season
  2. Bridgestone Dueler H/T D687
  3. Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus
  4. Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

mrgold35 06-12-2017 03:26 PM

I'm on my 2nd set of Conti DWS on my 08 RDX (not the newer Conti DWS 06). I have this tire on my TSX (2nd set of Conti DWS) and MDX (Conti DWS and now DWS 06). I get +50,000 miles from my Conti DWS on the TSX and MDX. I never seem to get over 35,000 miles on the RDX with these tires. I haven't tried the newer Conti DWS 06 on the RDX and I will not be ready to switch for another 15k-20k. I've noticed also the tires need to break in a little bit for about 500 miles because they can wander a bit on grooved concrete hwys (similar to what you feel on the open gate bridge). It goes away and never returns for the remaining life of the tires.

I just switched over to the Conti DWS 06 on my MDX (about 7 months/13,000 miles ago). The DWS 06 are a step up in every category compared to the 1st Gen DWS. I'm willing to stick with the DWS 06 when my RDX is due for tires.

robpp 06-12-2017 04:31 PM

try it on a motorcycle lol

Carbon Pearl 07-03-2017 11:27 AM

Thank you to all who responded. I got the Conti's DWS 06 and the ride is so much better. I love the way the tires grip the road and it just feels so much better. Thanks for the suggestions, it really helped!