Tire Size/Width Questions & Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 11:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Tire Size/Width Questions & Concerns

Hello all,

After doing a little bit of research I am unable to find answers to my specific questions, and I need to figure it out quickly as I plan on ordering from Tirerack.com tomorrow.

A little background, a few years ago I was tight up on cash and needed new tires. Two were significantly more worn than the other two, and I just bought one pair. Since then, I have been caught in a vicious cycle of needing tires a pair at a time. Now I want to completely change the tires on the car, as I do not like the current tires, but I cannot bring myself to purchase four and dispose of two perfectly decent tires, but I digress.

My questions relate to increasing tire width. Stock width is 235mm and I would like to increase 10mm to 245mm. I have looked at a tire size calculator (https://tiresize.com/calculator/) and the larger width means the tire is slightly taller by 0.4in. I believe that if I were replacing all four, this would not be a problem in regards to speedo error and the AWD system, but what if I only replace two? How will that affect the SH-AWD system? Will it be detrimental/damage the SH-AWD and/or confuse and throw off the VSC? Are there any other effects that I am unaware of?

Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks, everyone in advance!
Old 07-20-2017, 12:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that a new 245 tire vs a worn 235 tire will create an even larger discrepancy (as much as another half inch depending on wear and original tread depth). I would recommend flipping your rotation schedule to get all 4 tires back in sync (leave the newer tires on the front longer), or just replace all 4. Some AWD systems are more sensitive than others when it comes down to circumference differences between different tires, but ultimately the closer the better. Any difference is being taken up by the differentials.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Intermediate

Okay. Thanks for the input. I never considered the discrepancy because of the wear. Guess the two new tires will go up front.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:36 PM
Intermediate

I have also found that 245/55 18 is not a very common tire size. For example, TireRack only has six tires in that size. I found 255/50R18 size is very close to OEM diameter and circumference but is also very uncommon. TireRack only has one tire in that size for about $450 a piece!
Old 08-11-2017, 06:57 AM
FLETCH

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts
255-45/18 is more prevalent