Opinions wanted: Yokohama Parada Spec-X vs. Continental DWS

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:52 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Opinions wanted: Yokohama Parada Spec-X vs. Continental DWS

Hi All,

My tires on my RDX or doable right now, but I will changing them in the near future.

Pretty much have it narrowed down to the Yoko Parada Spec-X, and Conti DWS.

I have owned 4 sets of DWS's and have nothing but good things to say about them. On everything from an AMG coupe to RX330. Snow traction is amazing, and no complaints on the ride or handling either.

Part of me is saying, if its not broke don't fix it. However, I see the Parada is also a no. 1 rated tire on tire rack.

I live in Chicago, so snow traction is important, but not the end all. If the Yoko is similar to the DWS in the snow, I would be happy with that.

My main concern is steering response, ride quality, and tire noise.

Anyone think I should give the yokos a whirl over the DWS? Please chime in if you have owned them.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2015, 11:58 AM
Advanced

Also, if you could compare these two vs the RDX OEM tires that would be great!
Old 01-22-2015, 10:54 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
I can't say in that application but I had the Paradas on my old Trailblazer SS, it was AWD with a lot more power and had no issues in the snow, I liked the tires a lot, handled very well.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure if you'll find many direct reviews ie someone has had both of these on their RDX (or any of their other cars). But here's a thread w/ some feedback on the DWS's:
https://acurazine.com/forums/tires-w...review-801805/
Oh, and the O.P. is very knowledgeable about the RDX and has written some really nice DIY's.

I currently have the Parada's on mine (OEM 18 size). When first put on, definitely quieter than stocks but after about 10K miles, they're probably just as loud now (over the same roads). They are a little better for impact absorption. Flip side is they're not as responsive as the OEM Mich's and I noticed a wobbly sensation when it's at a stand-still. I can push on the front fender and can see the sidewalls flexing back and forth. It doesn't make it a bad handler or boat-like, just they're softer tires so....They handle rain very well and do decent in a little snow. Last summer; I drove some backroads which were turned into mini-lakes by some downpours and it carved through the water pretty well. And I drove it like normal, no grandma'ing it. It just snowed here in DC Area and I took it in about 3 inches of unplowed snow. They're fine if you drive responsibly. But just for giggles; I hammered it around a turn (from a stop) and it fished pretty badly and never recovered 'til I let off the throttle. Would I buy them again or recommend them, probably. But if I were to get them again, I'd probably get bigger wheels and lower the profile to see if the wobbly sensation goes away.

Last edited by x2lacrosse; 01-23-2015 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 01-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Not sure if you've looked at Michelin, but I'm been eyeballing them since I bought my RDX a year ago. The tires the previous owner installed are OK, but obviously a budget pick. The Pilot Sport A/S 3 will probably give you the best handling of anything short of a dedicated summer tire on this car. BUT, I cannot speak to its performance in the snow. Michelin says it's good, but...well, of course they're going to say that. I'm sure you can get some real world reviews on TireRack. If you have a CostCo membership you can get a set installed for probably 850-875 depending on your tax rate. TireRack is 815 shipped (to Phoenix), so probably over 900 after installation.

Also, the 45k mileage warranty is pretty low among all-season tires, but that kind of comes with the territory. Since I live in Phoenix and only get to see snow on TV, this is what I'll be grabbing once my current tires are done.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Corporate site - Costco.com - Shop for Tires
Old 01-29-2015, 07:18 AM
Intermediate

i got the conti DWS, the best hooking tire i have had... im going to go wider on the continentals... probably a 245 or 255
Old 01-30-2015, 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Really a can't lose situation. Both do very well. The Conti does tend to be a bit more susceptible to pothole damage but does better in the wet than the Yokohamas.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sonny@tirerack
Really a can't lose situation. Both do very well. The Conti does tend to be a bit more susceptible to pothole damage but does better in the wet than the Yokohamas.
Thanks Sonny. How would you compare those to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S?

Also, I am interested in the Pirelli P zero nero A/S plus, after reading your reviews this sounds like a very nice tire. Can it be ordered in 235/55/18? Or a 245/45/19?

Is the plus an improvement in snow?
Old 02-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
On everything from an AMG coupe to RX330.

Thanks!
Why are you driving an RDX if you can afford an AMG?

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Not sure if you've looked at Michelin, but I'm been eyeballing them since I bought my RDX a year ago. The tires the previous owner installed are OK, but obviously a budget pick. The Pilot Sport A/S 3 will probably give you the best handling of anything short of a dedicated summer tire on this car. BUT, I cannot speak to its performance in the snow...
I second this^ The Michelin is one of the best tires I've ever owned (and I've driven on most of them). Yoko can't touch the Mich.

However, nothing beats a dedicated set of snow tires. The DWS gets good reviews, but it will lack traction after 10K of wear. I always have a set of dedicated snows on hand, haven't had to use them yet this year in the PNW (Oregon) as we are still in the 40-50s.

Consider a set for yourself, The Rack has inexpensive wheels that look great and make a good platform. This makes it easy swap them out at home for some summer tread after the snow melts.
The following users liked this post:
sonny@tirerack (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 08:06 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I'm in the same boat with OP with my RDX needing tires in the next 30-60 days. I've gone with Conti DWS with the RDX the last few times because I had such good success with my TSX (2nd set of Conti DWS on TSX now and switched to Conti DWS on MDX). My tires are about 5/32 with the "S" and "W" worn off. The weather is already above the 60s and the "D" is all I need until I decide to change. The Parada do sound pretty good at a cheaper price. I just like the added insurance of improved wet and snow handling since the weather can be very unpredictable and heavy in isolated areas in the southwest.

Since we don't get the full 4-seasons in the southwest, second set of winter tires wouldn't get much use down here. A summer tire would have improved traction; but, they usually have a shorter treadlife and sometimes reduced cold/wet and light snow limitations (ran into snow in separate occasions in April and May in CO). The Conti DWS are the 90% solution for my driving habits and location.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Why are you driving an RDX if you can afford an AMG?
Easy answer, I still have the AMG. The AMG is stored during winters. The RDX will serve as my daily driver/winter car.

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
I second this^ The Michelin is one of the best tires I've ever owned (and I've driven on most of them). Yoko can't touch the Mich.

However, nothing beats a dedicated set of snow tires. The DWS gets good reviews, but it will lack traction after 10K of wear. I always have a set of dedicated snows on hand, haven't had to use them yet this year in the PNW (Oregon) as we are still in the 40-50s.

Consider a set for yourself, The Rack has inexpensive wheels that look great and make a good platform. This makes it easy swap them out at home for some summer tread after the snow melts.
I usually have a dedicated snow tire set for my daily, but for the RDX I do not think it is necessary. On the worn Michelins, the RDX survived the 20"+ of snow we had the past few days.

I am leaning towards the Michelin Pilots M+S. Have any seat time in the snow with them?

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I'm in the same boat with OP with my RDX needing tires in the next 30-60 days. I've gone with Conti DWS with the RDX the last few times because I had such good success with my TSX (2nd set of Conti DWS on TSX now and switched to Conti DWS on MDX). My tires are about 5/32 with the "S" and "W" worn off. The weather is already above the 60s and the "D" is all I need until I decide to change. The Parada do sound pretty good at a cheaper price. I just like the added insurance of improved wet and snow handling since the weather can be very unpredictable and heavy in isolated areas in the southwest.

Since we don't get the full 4-seasons in the southwest, second set of winter tires wouldn't get much use down here. A summer tire would have improved traction; but, they usually have a shorter treadlife and sometimes reduced cold/wet and light snow limitations (ran into snow in separate occasions in April and May in CO). The Conti DWS are the 90% solution for my driving habits and location.
I do like the DWS as well, but wouldn't mind trying something a little newer and different.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:58 AM
mrgold35

I know some places used to or still have a 30-day "Try before you Buy" program. If a shop carries both Parada and Conti DWS tires, it might be worth purchasing the Parada there and having the option to switch to Conti later.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Advanced

I know some places used to or still have a 30-day "Try before you Buy" program. If a shop carries both Parada and Conti DWS tires, it might be worth purchasing the Parada there and having the option to switch to Conti later.
That is an excellent point. I'll look into it.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
Thanks Sonny. How would you compare those to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S?

Also, I am interested in the Pirelli P zero nero A/S plus, after reading your reviews this sounds like a very nice tire. Can it be ordered in 235/55/18? Or a 245/45/19?

Is the plus an improvement in snow?
In regards to dry handling, the Pilot Sport AS3 is absolutely fantastic for an all season. The ice/snow traction however leaves a heck of a lot to be desired, even for an all season. The DWS, the Yokohama and the Michelin AS3 are available in 235/55R18. The DWS, the Pirelli and the Michelin are available in 245/45R19. Unfortunately I have not yet had a chance to test the Pirelli. Al of the tires mentioned have a buy and try except for the Yokohama.

Last edited by sonny@tirerack; 02-04-2015 at 02:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sonny@tirerack:
mrgold35 (02-04-2015), Nachtsturm (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 04:07 PM
Advanced

In regards to dry handling, the Pilot Sport AS3 is absolutely fantastic for an all season. The ice/snow traction however leaves a heck of a lot to be desired, even for an all season. The DWS, the Yokohama and the Michelin AS3 are available in 235/55R18. The DWS, the Pirelli and the Michelin are available in 245/45R19. Unfortunately I have not yet had a chance to test the Pirelli. Al of the tires mentioned have a buy and try except for the Yokohama.
Thanks Sonny, that helps greatly. Do you think I would be better off going with a Grand Touring tire. The reviews on the Michelin Premier A/S seem quite favorable.

Really just looking for a decent, quiet riding tire with acceptable snow traction that doesn't sacrifice the edginess of the RDX.

Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:56 PM
Advanced

Going to go with the Continental Purecontacts with EcoPlus. After reading the reviews, I see nothing but great things. Once I have them installed, I'll write a review.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:10 PM
mrgold35

Hey Sonny, are the Conti DWS slowly going away? I don't see them advertised as much or in stock at a lot of places. I had to order a set for my RDX and I am still waiting +7 days just to find out if they shipped yet to Discount Tire.

If they are going away, what is the version that will replace them? I might have to order Conti DWS for my MDX now and save them if they will be gone forever.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Hey Sonny, are the Conti DWS slowly going away? I don't see them advertised as much or in stock at a lot of places. I had to order a set for my RDX and I am still waiting +7 days just to find out if they shipped yet to Discount Tire.

If they are going away, what is the version that will replace them? I might have to order Conti DWS for my MDX now and save them if they will be gone forever.
If they are, I have not been made aware of it yet. It is still an excellent seller for Continental.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the DWS - and have nothing but good things to say about them. Fantastic grip, noise isn't very loud, and the tires are fairly comfortable ( for an RDX :p)
Here is my old thread. Some info on various tires here !

https://acurazine.com/forums/tires-w...-tires-906515/
Old 03-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
If they are, I have not been made aware of it yet. It is still an excellent seller for Continental.
Maybe being replaced by DWS 06?
Old 05-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone purchased Extreme Contact DWS from WalMart? Prices basically are within a dollar of TireRack, but WM has free shipping. I'm a bit wary of WM techs doing the install/balance on my scratch free rims - just because WM ... Is this an unfounded concern? I'm thinking of bringing them in off the vehicle so they wouldn't ruin my chrome lug nuts and/or over torque w/air gun, just still concerned about them screwing up the rim.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:28 AM
mrgold35

I see there are now Conti DWS 06 sport plus; which, suppose to be an upgrade to the the original DWS. The new tire also features Continental’s Alignment Verification System and Tuned Performance Indicators. The reviews I've saw show better turn in, improved wet grip, and possibly stiffer side wall. The new tire suppose to start rolling out (excuse the pun) in May/15 and all sizes available by this fall.

Link: Tire Review: Continental ExtremeContact DWS06
Old 05-05-2015, 08:01 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by BobandCec
Has anyone purchased Extreme Contact DWS from WalMart? Prices basically are within a dollar of TireRack, but WM has free shipping. I'm a bit wary of WM techs doing the install/balance on my scratch free rims - just because WM ... Is this an unfounded concern? I'm thinking of bringing them in off the vehicle so they wouldn't ruin my chrome lug nuts and/or over torque w/air gun, just still concerned about them screwing up the rim.
I have no experience with WM, but you could always buy them at WM and have them mounted at a shop you do trust -