Need Wheel Technical/Opinion Help Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Need Wheel Technical/Opinion Help Please!!

I was planning on getting a set of these:
http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_interlagos.php

They are TSW Interlagos, the same weight specification as the TSW Nuremberg. I was planning on getting them in Matte Black.

How do you think that would look on a first gen Alabaster Silver RDX?

Also, I am torn about rim sizes, tire widths, and off-sets.

I prefer better handling/performance over looks... so do you think I should go for 19" or 20"? I would usually say 19 (lighter) but in this case I am not sure because the 20" are lighter than the stock 18" rims and the 20" will provide a smaller profile. I am also somewhat worried about pot holes as i live in the north (Alberta, Canada).

Also, for tire widths, I don't like my tires off-set. Again I prefer performance over looks. These will be strictly summer tires/rims. I was thinking 255/50 or 45. I'm leaning more towards a larger diameter wheel compared with the stock to "fill" the wheel well. Do you think 245 width would handle/perform better? or would 255? or 275?
I'm concerned that the RDX doesn't have enough power output to use up the potential of 275 width tires and that the vehicle would just be lugging around extra rubber that can't actually put the power down. However, i do have the Hondata reflash, CP-E intake, and ETS TMIC. And I understand that wider tires provide more lateral grip.

Now, for off-sets. I prefer my tires to stick out as much as possible but without the possibility of hitting the fender and i do not have fender rollers.
The tire width and off-set i am considering are the following:
8.5" w/ 20 offset
9" w/ 32 offset
Do you guys think the 8.5" w/ 20 off set would still be within the fender? how about the 9" w/ 32 offset? I believe the 8.5" w/ 20 off set would stick out more than the 9" w/ 20 offset.. am i correct?

If you guys could help me out and give me a your thoughts on all 3 items combined (rim size: 19" or 20", tire width: 245, 255, or 275, and also rim width: 8.5" w/ 20 offset or 9" w/ 32 offset). I understand i may have to consider other offsets if the 275 width tires are chosen.

Your guys' help is really appreciated. I'm not that good with wheels/tires.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Decided on a option.. Please help with your opinion

So i've narrowed my decision to one option that i think may work.

245/45/R20 with 8.5" wide rims & 20mm offset.

This would make the new wheels/tires protrude out 27mm beyond the stock wheels to make it have a wider stance.

What do you guys think about the "Protrusion" beyond stock wheels? is this too much? I know it may rub/hit the flange of the fender under heavy load conditions but i may get a fender roller if i find that it gets too bad. However, even with the fender roller, do you guys think a 27mm protrusion over stock is too much?

I measured the distance from the tire side wall (where it buldges out the most but only at the top portion of the profile - not the bottom tire profile) to the outside edge of the fender and it came to roughly 30 - 32mm.

It might be easier if you guys could provide me with the wheel/tire combo you have. I would need the following:

Tire width, profile, rim diameter, rim width, and offset

With the above information, i can calculate how much your particular wheel/tire combo protrudes outwards further than the stock setup. If i see that most of you have a protrusion over stock of more than 25mm, i maybe got for the setup i want. I've tried to go through most of this forum and checkout what kind of wheel/tire combo the guys with signatures have but most of them don't have the off-set stated on their rim which is critical in order to calculate the protrusion of the wheel.

Thanks in advanced guys!