RDX starts then cuts off immediately

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX starts then cuts off immediately

2007 RDX 4 cyl Turbo AWD cranks up and runs for about 1.5 seconds then shuts off. It doesn't sputter out, it just shuts off immediately. I changed the battery with a 5 month old battery, same thing. Even put a fully charged jump box on the newer battery and it does the same thing. I can even rev it up for a second before it cuts of so I don't believe it is a fuel problem and no real indicator lights come on either. Could it be the Alternator?
Old 02-07-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
a bad alternator would just let the battery die over the course of a day to two days.
wouldn't turn off the car in 1.5 seconds.

Something else is happening here. an engine requires air, fuel and spark to run.
it's getting the spark and fuel, as the engine starts. then it just dies.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This thread has been moved to the model specific forum for better response.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
This has happened to me on some completely different cars, but exactly as you described. In those it was a theft deterrent issue - I want to say the car was not recognizing the key. Another thing to check - see if your key is actually staying in the run position or if perhaps the cylinder is letting the key rotate all the way back to accessory position. Ignition switch could also be a fail point that causes this. I would try starting it and holding the key turned all the way (your starter will disengage as soon as the engine fires, no risk of damage), to see if it stays running. This could help you diagnose.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:14 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Put in a brand new oem acura battery and that should fix it. Putting another used battery in would help if it has the same problem as the one it replaced. When you change your battery sometimes acura needs to reprogram your keys. Hope this helps you out!

Originally Posted by reidd
2007 RDX 4 cyl Turbo AWD
cranks up and runs for about 1.5 seconds then shuts off. It doesn't sputter out, it just shuts off immediately. I changed the battery with a 5 month old battery, same thing. Even put a fully charged jump box on the newer battery and it does the same thing. I can even rev it up for a second before it cuts of so I don't believe it is a fuel problem and no real indicator lights come on either. Could it be the Alternator?
Old 12-08-2018, 11:13 PM
1st Gear

2007 RDX 4 cyl Turbo AWD cranks up and runs for about 1.5 seconds then shuts off. It doesn't sputter out, it just shuts off immediately. I changed the battery with a 5 month old battery, same thing. Even put a fully charged jump box on the newer battery and it does the same thing. I can even rev it up for a second before it cuts of so I don't believe it is a fuel problem and no real indicator lights come on either. Could it be the Alternator?
Did u ever get the problem solved? I'm having the same problem
Old 12-10-2018, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Did you check the items I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Charles Vs P Nut
Did u ever get the problem solved? I'm having the same problem
when you turn the key to ON (Last click before cranking ignition) does your gauge cluster light up with all the lights and icons, or do those stay off? If the lights stay off, it is probably a blown fuse. This happened to me last week, car would start for a second and then die. It was a blown “METER” fuse, 7.5 amp - I think it was #10 or 11 in the driver kick panel fuse box. I blew it installing a backup camera.

If if that’s not it, I’m sure some of the other suggestions are good ideas.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:00 AM
1st Gear

Did you ever find out what this was? My car has exact same issues and is at dealer and they dont know what is wrong?
Old 07-14-2019, 07:44 AM

^did you check what Tomtwtwtw spoke about?????

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
This has happened to me on some completely different cars, but exactly as you described. In those it was a theft deterrent issue - I want to say the car was not recognizing the key. Another thing to check - see if your key is actually staying in the run position or if perhaps the cylinder is letting the key rotate all the way back to accessory position. Ignition switch could also be a fail point that causes this. I would try starting it and holding the key turned all the way (your starter will disengage as soon as the engine fires, no risk of damage), to see if it stays running. This could help you diagnose.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:45 AM

Could it be the Main relay (main fuel relay)?
Old 07-14-2019, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenmac9401
My car has exact same issues and is at dealer ...
I had a different car, exact same symptoms: start, can rev, then immediately off.
Was CRANKSHAFT position sensor, cps, in absence or bad signal it would immediately turn off fuel delivery via the pump relay. Changed the cps myself with new one from online store, car worked without a glitch since.
》There is a different cps, CAMSHAFT position sensor, its malfunction may lead to different symptoms like rough idling, probably not turn off engine.

Your case might be quite different, assuming a dealership mechanic would find any cps malfunction in little to no time.

Hth