Noise from the dash- please help identify this part

Old 06-20-2012, 10:53 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noise from the dash- please help identify this part

For the last month or so I've been hearing random noises coming from inside my dash. It sounds like part of the vent system adjusting its position randomly. It doesn't matter if the A/C is on or off. Sometimes it lasts for a minute, sometimes it lasts for an hour.

Today I think I found what was making the noise and I've attached a picture. It seems that if I unplug the green adapter from the black box in the middle the noise stops.

Any help is welcome.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by shigs
For the last month or so I've been hearing random noises coming from inside my dash.
It seems that if I unplug the green adapter from the black box in the middle the noise stops.
The black box is the driver side HVAC (heater, ventilation, and AC) motor. You have unplugged the power cable, so it is no longer working.

You have three basic choices:

1. if your vehicle is still in warranty, the dealer should re-grease the linkages for you, without charge. Both my local dealers offered to do so for me, although I chose to do it myself.

2. if you wish to do it yourself, ask your dealer for TSB (Acura Technical Service Bulletin) 09-028. My dealer printed and gave me a copy. If you want to take a short-cut, use a Q-tip and SuperLube (tube of grease from ACE hardware). Lube the slot in the white arm behind the lower-right side of the motor, behind the green plug, in your picture. SuperLube is for plastic/ rubber/ metal. The Honda special grease is $30 for 3-ounces. Most likely the rest of the linkage has enough grease. IF that does not work, then you will need to remove the motor and follow the TSB, which is basically just to lube all the linkages that you cannot reach without removing the motor, because they are behind the motor.

3. I will be posting a DIY for this procedure, but not for a week or so, with pictures. You may wish to wait for my post.

RELATED LINKS:
The following links are related to this problem:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813245post #16 describes a fix, no pictures, I do not entirely agree with the procedure in the post, having done the fix myself

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682368 – post #19 describes HVAC system motor and door noise troubleshooting

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684991– post #4 describes how to run the Climate Control System self-diagnostic function

QUESTION:
While my detail pics are good, your overall pic is better than the best I could do, because of limited light. Mind if I use your picture in my DIY post?
---eof

Last edited by dcmodels; 06-21-2012 at 04:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
shigs (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the liinkages in these units supposed to move that much and for that long? They move even when the a/c and blower are off.

Your welcome to use the picture. Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of the TSB?