Loud cooling fan noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud cooling fan noise?

I just picked up mine today and I am excited but I noticed that the cooling fan (one or two right behind the radiator) is very loud. I remember someone mentioning this a while ago but does any one notice this? I know lot of vendors manufacture and sell these types of fans. If maybe I could find one that is quiter, I am willing to buy them and replace the noisy ones. At the same time, I am not sure it the air that the fan generates that make the noise or the fan itself is making the noise (maybe by design or something mechanical)..
Old 10-11-2006, 07:02 AM
Dennis

Originally Posted by gomboy60
I just picked up mine today and I am excited but I noticed that the cooling fan (one or two right behind the radiator) is very loud. I remember someone mentioning this a while ago but does any one notice this? I know lot of vendors manufacture and sell these types of fans. If maybe I could find one that is quiter, I am willing to buy them and replace the noisy ones. At the same time, I am not sure it the air that the fan generates that make the noise or the fan itself is making the noise (maybe by design or something mechanical)..
Well, what computer people do if the fan is noisy is to swap it out for a larger fan. Since the fan is bigger, it needs fewer RPMs to move the same quantitly of air and running at fewer RPMs makes it quieter. But I don't know if you can do anything like that on the RDX.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:17 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gomboy60
Are you running your Air Conditioning? That would explain why it is so loud after you turn off the car. Dont worry its almost November, you wont need the A/C anymore.

It is doubtful you can hear the fan inside the car. So i dont really know why it would be a big deal.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Intermediate

Cooling Fan

I thought there was another thread on this but I couldn't find it. I find it VERY annoying that the radiator cooling fan in my RDX cuts on and off repeatidly when stopped...heck, even when I first start the car the cooling fan is on and stays on for a while, then runs for 5 seconds or so, then cuts off for a few seconds, then on again, etc..etc..why is this? I don't understand why it should be doing this....does the temperature rise so quickly that the fan has to cycle so much? I'd rather it just stay on all the time instead of cycling so much as its very annoying (to me at least).

Any options to deal with this (other than to just crank up the stereo!)?

Thanks

Patton
Old 08-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Patton
I thought there was another thread on this but I couldn't find it. I find it VERY annoying that the radiator cooling fan in my RDX cuts on and off repeatidly when stopped...heck, even when I first start the car the cooling fan is on and stays on for a while, then runs for 5 seconds or so, then cuts off for a few seconds, then on again, etc..etc..why is this? I don't understand why it should be doing this....does the temperature rise so quickly that the fan has to cycle so much? I'd rather it just stay on all the time instead of cycling so much as its very annoying (to me at least).

Thanks

Patton
Is it really the cooling fan? I thought I read someone say that it's the compressor (or whatever...I'm really not a car guy) dumping all the extra air out that the turbo doesn't use.

I picked mine up last week ready for all this noise when driving based n complaints on this forum. Other than higher than expected road noise, the RDX is pretty quiet from the inside (compared to the X3). I couldn't even hear the turbo spooling...which I was really looking forward to!

It is pretty loud though if you have the windows open or standing outside. I was playing around with it in the garage and was surprised at all the noise echoing around.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Instructor

That's how the RDX is.. when the car is stopped, you'll notice that the cooling fan is loud. I'm not sure if there is a way to fix that as that's the way the car is...
Old 08-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Patton
That or turn the AC off...
Old 08-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's the AC compressor fans. Turn off the AC and it will go away. Check the service bulletins - there's a section on it.

Mike
Old 08-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by catnippants
It's the AC compressor fans. Turn off the AC and it will go away. Check the service bulletins - there's a section on it.

Mike
Awesome thanks! I turned off the A/C and it totally quieted down the beast. We don't get the service bulletins up here in Canada so these tips are great.