Knocking/Rattle (revisited)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking/Rattle (revisited)

Well, having read the knocking thread with great interest, because I get those noises as well, I have two new sound issues.

The first is when I am stopped at a red light. I get a knocking sound - maybe pinging - although using 93 octane. As I let up on the brake, it disappears. Reappears as soon as I apply pressure. In fact it changes as I force the brake pedal down vs applying just enough pressure to hold the car still. As soon as we are moving (like 1 mile an hour) it disappears. Ideas?

I just got for the first time today a loud rattle - again from the front toward the engine. It did it once or twice today. Will need to keep an eye on it and report back. Definetly not the "brake-adjust" noise. A clear loud rattle. Want to report it now so you don't think I'm [more] crazy later.

Getting worried about this car.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by demingr
Well, having read the knocking thread with great interest, because I get those noises as well, I have two new sound issues.

The first is when I am stopped at a red light. I get a knocking sound - maybe pinging - although using 93 octane. As I let up on the brake, it disappears. Reappears as soon as I apply pressure. In fact it changes as I force the brake pedal down vs applying just enough pressure to hold the car still. As soon as we are moving (like 1 mile an hour) it disappears. Ideas?

I just got for the first time today a loud rattle - again from the front toward the engine. It did it once or twice today. Will need to keep an eye on it and report back. Definetly not the "brake-adjust" noise. A clear loud rattle. Want to report it now so you don't think I'm [more] crazy later.

Getting worried about this car.
When do you hear the rattling sound? Does it happen at certain rpms?
Old 06-13-2007, 06:35 AM
Cruisin'

The rattle was during acceleration. It was much louder than the turbo kicking in, but occured during the acceleration curve where the turbo would normally be active.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The rattle was during acceleration. It was much louder than the turbo kicking in, but occured during the acceleration curve where the turbo would normally be active.
Uninformed ideas:

Wastegate flutter
Loose wastegate actuator arm
Loose heatshield
Old 06-13-2007, 09:12 AM
1st Gear

I picked up my RDX last week and immediately heard a knocking sound (best heard when coasting at around 30 mph). Both my wife and the Acura tech said it sounded like a jack hammer (but much quieter). Turns out it was a missing bolt! Fixed and no knocking.

M
Old 06-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Instructor

For me I had a light rattling sound that eventually got worse. The problem turned out to be the heatshield. It eventually got all over the exhaust pipe which in turn caused the rattling.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Heatshields are notorious rattlers on turbo cars.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Cruisin'

Would I be amiss in asking what a Heat Shield does and where I might find it? Is this something I can easily check to see if its loose? thanks
Old 06-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Would I be amiss in asking what a Heat Shield does and where I might find it? Is this something I can easily check to see if its loose? thanks

Its a metal shield that separates the exhaust system from the body of the vehicle. It shields and dissipates heat from the exhaust system. The heat shield that most commonly rattles it the one over the catalytic converter. Probably located about midway back, maybe 2/3 or the way back from the front over the exhaust piping.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

There is also a heatshield on top of the turbo. It is behind the engine, towards the passenger side. It think it has some slots cut in it. You can see the wastegate actuator just above it (the WA looks like a 2" tall, 2" wide can with a lip around it and a metal rod sticking down through the heatshield). It is pretty much attached to the block, so it may have RPM/boost correlated vibration.

AFTER the car is cooled down. Seriously, wait a while, like maybe first thing in the AM. Turbos get hot enough to incandesce. Then see if it moves or rap it with something to see if it makes the sound you are hearing.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Cruisin'

You guys are geniuses. I inspected the heat shield in back of the turbo - that seemed secure. Looked at the one on the catalytic converter and that was secure. The looked at the on just up from that closer to the engine - that was secure as well. But, I gave that a tap (more like a pluck) and it might was well have been a loud-speaker. It was like the 1812 overature. I pulled and bent it a bit and now it is dead silent. Took it out for a test drive and it does seem to be much better. Want to watch/listen a bit more, but seems to be fixed. THANKS!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:49 PM
2nd Gear

I have a noise at start-up only, doesn't sound like a typical heat shield (which I have experienced on other cars.) My guess is something to do with the turbo from the location, possibly the mechanism that controls the boost. Doesn't happen every time it;s started, but it's getting more frequent. It's loud and goes away instantly (after scaring the hell out of you). Intend to bring it up to the dealer.
approximately 5000 mile and 1 oil change at 4000.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My RDX is as tight as a v**gin P***y! No noise what so ever.