Hearing noise/vibrations at slow speeds??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:18 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hearing noise/vibrations at slow speeds??

Hello All,
My GF recently purchased a beautiful 2007 RDX Tech with just under 50,000 miles. It is in pristine shape in and out and she recieved a very good price based on NADA/KBB book values. It was purchased from the local Lexus dealer and was a trade in. She adores the RDX and it has quickly become her favorite car. We have noticed that at slow speeds (anything below 25 mph) there is a noticeable vibration or what sounds almost like loose suspension. It's really hard to explain. It only happens on small shallow bumps or rough roads. It does not happen on speed bumps or large pot holes. We had Lexus look at the car and nothing was found. I have purchased a number of cars at Lexus and to keep me happy they shipped the car to the local Acura dealer and had them look. Acura came back and said that there are no issues and that the RDX is in amazing shape. I have looked at the heat shields and have looked at the brake rotor dust covers which, based on threads in this forum seem to be issues and found nothing. I myself have been under the car and agree that everything looks perfect. Any ideas out there on what it can be? It kind of sounds like it would be coming from under the passenger side floor board. I am hoping for some clues and I am also hoping that it is something I can see for myself. After all the places looking and not finding a problem, it seems like it is up to me. I appreciate any and all helpful hints.

Thank You
Old 06-29-2012, 02:18 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
It may be normal powertrain noise from the 5AT and sh-awd. The RDX powertrain has A LOT of moving parts turning all 4 wheels. I noticed the sound/vibration more when I first got my 08 RDX. I heard it more at low speeds before tire and wind noise kicked in at +35 mph. After 74,000 miles, I don't notice the powertrain noise now (tires make the most noise).

It might be a combination of tires, suspension, sh-awd and 5AT noise at low speeds. Acura/Honda are sometimes a little skimpy on insulating road noise compared to Lexus/Toyota. You had it checked out twice and the techs said you are in the green. Just have her do what my daughter does; every time she hears a noise from her car, she turns up the stereo.