Haven't been on here since 09. Just picked up an RDX... Good, Bad, Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:38 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't been on here since 09. Just picked up an RDX... Good, Bad, Ideas?

Hello everyone!

Apparently I haven't logged in since 2009 .. an RDX, 4runner (never going to sell it) , (2) CL-Type S's, Civic, BMW 7 series (junk), SVT Focus (really fun junk) Lexus SC 400 (sloooowww), Civic EX (best $375 a man can spend), F-150, Integra LS , 2 career changes, a home remodel, a divorce, a baby and a move across the country ago.
I typically burn the candle at both ends then snip it into quarters and burn the ends of those too... so don't take personally.

I just picked up a nearly spotless 07 RDX for $3500 1 owner, older lady (sex therapist..no joke) who did a lot of highway driving...to the tune of 222,000 miles. It's in fantastic shape and even though the miles are high, the body and frame is completely free of rust. Being I turn my own wrenches as much as I can, I always choose rust free over lower miles as a 2 hour job can quickly become a 2 day job when your car has dissolved and bolts look more like frame imperfections than something you're supposed to turn.

I drove it around for about 20 minutes before I pulled the trigger. Sands loud rear wheel bearings and a clanky front sway bar link, it drove great. New tires, exhaust and brakes were nice added bonuses too.

Then, on the way home (150 miles) I noticed the temperature gauge started to sneak past the center mark. It was up and down between half and 2/3. When I got back to my hilly city, it overheated. I shut it down immediately. I noticed the coolant fans did not turn on. (later figured out they do turn on when the A/C is on and it looks like a $40 sensor is the culprit)
When I started it back up, it coughed a white plume out of the exhaust pipe. but ran fine. I played the stop and let it cool off game 3 times over 5 miles and got it home.

The next day I bought Type 2 coolant and it was about 3/4 of a jug low ( I let it run, filled the radiator, then filled the reservoir to halfway between the lines) . The car started fine but when I put it in gear it ran rough for a bit. A mile up the road it started to run poorly, the Turbo gauge showed the turbo was not spooling up and the check engine light came on, AWD turned off... so I stopped and shut it down. When I restarted it, it ran fine. I kept the heat on and the temp gauge fluctuated from half to 3 bars over midway. It ran great for the 20 miles I drove it. When I got home I topped off the reservoir that had gone down a little.

Today (day 3 of ownership) I started it up and it ran like crap for 10 seconds, then ran great till I tackled a steep hill. It overheated again. grrrrr...

To cut this novel short.

Would the Temp sensor cause overheating? This is my first Turbo, and my educated guess is that the sensor as something to do with maintaining proper turbo temperature....Yes? No?
There is no coolant in the oil or tranny fluid. But it could be drinking it (hence the rough running engine at startup)... BUT, after it overheated the first time, the radiator hoses were both rock hard which leads me to believe it's not a coolant leak.
Any other ideas?

Luckily, I have a 90 day 3000 mile warranty with a $100 deductible but the small lot I purchased it from didn't include the paper work so I'm waiting for it to arrive via snail mail. I have no idea what it covers...Fingers Crossed !

Thanks in advance for any input. Either way.. It's nice to be back!

07 RDX. My first RDX, my first turbocharged car, my first crossover. 1 owner, lots of highway miles, rust free!...frame included!!

07 RDX. My first RDX, my first turbocharged car, my first crossover. 1 owner, lots of highway miles, rust free!...frame included!!

Old 09-04-2018, 06:07 PM
CSmoney28

Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
It sounds like the turbo may be blown...