Film on cover:)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Film on cover:)

I was trying to clean some spots off of my speedo cover today Used a sponge, papertowel and windex. Now I have this film that keeps showing up on the cover. I can wipe with windex and it will go away, but will come back in like 5 seconds. Was wondering if I may have gotten some moisture behind the cover? Has this happened to anyone? What is the fix? Thanks

07 RDX
Old 10-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like the effect of ammonia on clear plastic....
Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Find some LCD cleaner (u can get the monstor stuff for cleaning lcd and plasma tvs). doubles as a navi screen cleaner

Works well and doesnt leave residue. also make sure your using a clean cloth (I have these papers that they use to make coffee draining papers) and they work perfectly.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mau108
Find some LCD cleaner (u can get the monstor stuff for cleaning lcd and plasma tvs). doubles as a navi screen cleaner

Works well and doesnt leave residue. also make sure your using a clean cloth (I have these papers that they use to make coffee draining papers) and they work perfectly.

I tried using a "Screen Cleaner" that I bought from Office Depot. Same stuff I use to clean the nav screen or my laptop screens? It seems to get a little better the more I continue to clean it It's like I somehow got some oil based substance on it from the sponge I used I am such an idiot I don't know what I was thinking using that sponge especially since it had been used for something in the house which I have no idea what! I will probably run it by the dealership today for the first oil change Do you think they would be able to help me out on this?
Old 10-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
all they are going to do is run a wet cloth over it and make it worse. ( i bought my rdx with the residue all over the dash, horrendous)

Find proper cleaning cloths and use them, not simple house hold items. :P
Old 10-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

the ammonia is exactly it. The clear window is plastic not glass so you dont wan tto use windex. Theres a liquid called BRITEX i believe is how its spelled, you can find it at home depot or Tap Plastics. its expensive but youd use it on your tv, nav screen, and even your headlight covers on most cars, and is even useful on glass. Its kind of a wax like, you wipe it on and then buff it off right away. I believe the instructions suggest spraying directly onto surface but being anal i wlwasy put on lint free towel... cotton... and then onto surface to be clean, then take anotehr towel and buff it.

The ammonia will permenently damage the glass so stop and dont use it anymore!
Old 10-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Advanced

Thanks for all of the help everyone I brought by the Dealership this morning (Gunn Acura, San Antonio) They brought the car back to "make ready" and buffed with a little was and now all looks well I will purchase the stuff you told me about for future use Enjoy your weekend