dashboard flaw

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 03:31 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dashboard flaw

I have a tech 07 RDX ebony interior. When it is sunny outside and I look at the dashboard on the passenger side I see an outline which looks like it is where top part of the dash is attached to another part. It is an outline of something. Is this a flaw or a part of the airbag system? I did my best at explaining it. I guess perhaps I should look at some cars at the dealer and see if I can notice it on theirs. Does anyone else have this issue?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rvidra
I have a tech 07 RDX ebony interior. When it is sunny outside and I look at the dashboard on the passenger side I see an outline which looks like it is where top part of the dash is attached to another part. It is an outline of something. Is this a flaw or a part of the airbag system? I did my best at explaining it. I guess perhaps I should look at some cars at the dealer and see if I can notice it on theirs. Does anyone else have this issue?
My RDX hasn't arrived yet, but if you look on page 24 of the manual it shows you where the passenger front airbag is located (on the top passenger side of the dash just up-and-right of the nav controls). If that's where the outline is, then you've got an answer.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Only having my RDX for a few weeks, I'm not sure whether the dash will have the same issue my 2004 TL had, but with my TL, I experienced a fading of the dash over time and this enhanced the airbag outline. I opted to start applying 303 Aerospace Protectant and this minimized the airbag outline and brought the luster back to my dash.

For my RDX, I'm starting the 303 application immediately and will do so every month or so in hopes to prevent the dash fade and airbag outline.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:22 PM
9th Gear

If it is a airbag outline, is this something that Acura is aware of? Can they not engineer something to get rid of the outline? It almost looks like something heavy has pressed on the dash which is making something underneath put pressure on the dashboard from below. If others do not notice this on theirs perhaps I need to see what my warranty will do for me. My car was manufactured in April of 07 and I have had it less than a month.

Tripp11 thanks for the tip. I will check it out to keep things looking good.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Racer

If it is a airbag outline, is this something that Acura is aware of? Can they not engineer something to get rid of the outline? It almost looks like something heavy has pressed on the dash which is making something underneath put pressure on the dashboard from below. If others do not notice this on theirs perhaps I need to see what my warranty will do for me. My car was manufactured in April of 07 and I have had it less than a month.

Tripp11 thanks for the tip. I will check it out to keep things looking good.
Here's the irony....I bought a bottle of 303 protectant on my week-old '07 RDX to keep the dash from fading (and to keep it from showing the crease). BUT after I was done wiping the dash down, I saw the indent you were talking about! It's not noticeable from the driver's side but definitely when in the passenger's seat. I wonder if I was putting too much pressure when wiping it down? I hope not.

Mine was manufactured May '07. Anyone else see the "crease" on the passenger's side of the dash?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 AM
9th Gear

I talked to the service department as I didn't notice this as much on the demo cars at the dealer. The service department manager stated it was because Armor All is shining it making it more noticable. He said that the material is thin in that location for the airbag. I would think that Acura could have done something different for this. I would guess the dash will get worse with time. I am disappointed with this look for what I paid.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Racer

I talked to the service department as I didn't notice this as much on the demo cars at the dealer. The service department manager stated it was because Armor All is shining it making it more noticable. He said that the material is thin in that location for the airbag. I would think that Acura could have done something different for this. I would guess the dash will get worse with time. I am disappointed with this look for what I paid.
I hear ya. That's a flimsy excuse to cover up poor engineering. Did they say what it was exactly? And is it pressure sensitive? I have friends who like to prop their feet on the dash during long road trips. Might have to put an end to that in the RDX.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:37 PM
9th Gear

He said the dash was just thinner there. I can't believe we are the only ones noticing this.
I wonder about the 08's. Perhaps Armor All low shine or natural finish would make it less noticable. I personally like the shiny look. How does the 303 compare to Armor Al products?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Racer

He said the dash was just thinner there. I can't believe we are the only ones noticing this.
I wonder about the 08's. Perhaps Armor All low shine or natural finish would make it less noticable. I personally like the shiny look. How does the 303 compare to Armor Al products?
I don't think we're the only ones...but we've been the only ones who've posted so far. This is the first car where I've actually bothered to buy cleaning products so I can't really compare products....though my dash is definitely shinier now using the 303 spray.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I stared at my dash my entire drive from work today, and I couldn't see any lines on the passenger side of the dash. I haven't used any armor all or 303 or any protectant on it. just use a damp cloth to clean the dust.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sasair
I stared at my dash my entire drive from work today, and I couldn't see any lines on the passenger side of the dash. I haven't used any armor all or 303 or any protectant on it. just use a damp cloth to clean the dust.
Thanks Sasair. I've been PMing others and a few have noticed the crease too (others haven't).

I'll stop using the protectant, but I just want to make sure this isn't a weight/pressure thing. Should we be sensitive to what we put on there...or how hard to scrub when cleaning then?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boon
Thanks Sasair. I've been PMing others and a few have noticed the crease too (others haven't).

I'll stop using the protectant, but I just want to make sure this isn't a weight/pressure thing. Should we be sensitive to what we put on there...or how hard to scrub when cleaning then?
i've had my rdx for about 2 months now and i've never cleaned (nor put anything on top of that area) and i still see the outline.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Newbie for Life

I saw the outline prior to using 303 protectant, and after using I still see the outline at the right angles. The main reason I chose 303 is that it offers UV protection and will hopefully minimize dash fade which my TL exhibited only after 6 months with no protection. Plus, I think the 303 has a lower shine than any Armor All product I've ever used.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:11 AM
9th Gear

So can anyone tell me the procedures to get Acura to address this issue? Do you think I will get anywhere?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Newbie for Life

Start with your dealer service department and follow-up w/ a phone call to the 800 Acura Customer Service line. Start the documentation trend now regarding your perceived issues with the dash.

Do I think you'll get anywhere? No because I think every dash I've looked at looks the same - and it doesn't bother me much. However, if it bothers you, make the calls.

That's all you can do.