bad starter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2024, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bad starter?

Hi all,
2009 RDX. 118k miles.
over the past 2 maybe 3 weeks, it has gotten progressively harder to start. it seemed like battery getting weaker. 3 weeks ago or so, it would start first but battery seemed weak. next day it was start first try, but seemed weaker battery, on and on until it wouldnt start first try but would start 2nd try. then it took 3 tries. now it wont start at all. i charged the battery over that time. now, with a brand new battery it wont start. there is no clicking noise. the engine moves like a half inch when i try to start it.
there doesnt seem to be a voltage problem in the cabin.
first thought was lack of amps to the starter. so far i have cleaned the terminals on the battery cables but thats about it, no change. i can see the wires connected to the batter cable clamps are green/brown on the outside, more brown than green though.
from here and internet, it seems like it may simply be time for a new starter but i want to check what i can before i tackle that.
looking for suggestions on some checks i can perform.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2024, 03:22 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gnojham
Hi all,
2009 RDX. 118k miles.
over the past 2 maybe 3 weeks, it has gotten progressively harder to start. it seemed like battery getting weaker. 3 weeks ago or so, it would start first but battery seemed weak. next day it was start first try, but seemed weaker battery, on and on until it wouldnt start first try but would start 2nd try. then it took 3 tries. now it wont start at all. i charged the battery over that time. now, with a brand new battery it wont start. there is no clicking noise. the engine moves like a half inch when i try to start it.
there doesnt seem to be a voltage problem in the cabin.
first thought was lack of amps to the starter. so far i have cleaned the terminals on the battery cables but thats about it, no change. i can see the wires connected to the batter cable clamps are green/brown on the outside, more brown than green though.
from here and internet, it seems like it may simply be time for a new starter but i want to check what i can before i tackle that.
looking for suggestions on some checks i can perform.

Thanks
I care for two 08 RDXs , mine and my sons. I replaced both around the 120k mark if that helps . The starter is underneath the intake manifold , if it hasn’t been replaced I’m thinking it’s about time .