Backup Sensor sensitivity issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backup Sensor sensitivity issues?

Anyone with the factory-installed backup sensors having any problems with them? I find the sensors don't start beeping until I'm EXTREMELY close to whatever object is behind me...and I back-in pretty slow...so if I were going any faster, it'd be too late.

The backup sensors on the family Ford Freestyle were really good. It would beep slowly from about 10ft away from the obstruction and get progressively faster as I got closer. With the RDX, it pretty much goes from beeping really fast at 4ft to flat-lining at 1-2ft.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boon
Anyone with the factory-installed backup sensors having any problems with them? I find the sensors don't start beeping until I'm EXTREMELY close to whatever object is behind me...and I back-in pretty slow...so if I were going any faster, it'd be too late.

The backup sensors on the family Ford Freestyle were really good. It would beep slowly from about 10ft away from the obstruction and get progressively faster as I got closer. With the RDX, it pretty much goes from beeping really fast at 4ft to flat-lining at 1-2ft.

did you not order the Tech package? if you did, you have the back-up camera, why do you still need the back-up sensor?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:25 PM
RDX Tech - Bronze/Ebony

Originally Posted by mav238
did you not order the Tech package? if you did, you have the back-up camera, why do you still need the back-up sensor?
I have the Tech package and pretty much find the rear camera useless in most situations. My previous car had the backup sensors and I much prefer them to the camera. I'm seriously considering adding the backup sensors to my Tech RDX.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Racer

I wasn't really a fan of the back-up camera. I only really find it useful for parallel parking and if I need to get really close to the car behind me when backing into a parking spot. But in most situations, I like the backup sensors because then I can use my eyes to scan around the car when reversing.

That said, I am relying on the camera more now that the sensors don't work so well. BUT I did blow money on them already and I want to make sure they're working properly...which I don't think they are.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Acura Technician

They may have installed to sensor upside down, some have an angled bezel.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Sonomaa
They may have installed to sensor upside down, some have an angled bezel.
I went back to the dealer during a checkup and they say everything's fine. Maybe the Acura sensors just aren't as effective as Ford's (i.e. the range of the sensors is shorter).
Old 11-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

i have backup sensors on my toyota as well. the toyota ones are much better. they are louder, and dont do the constant beep as close. they also give you a picture to see which sensor is warning you. the honda ones are terrible.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rdxon
i have backup sensors on my toyota as well. the toyota ones are much better. they are louder, and dont do the constant beep as close. they also give you a picture to see which sensor is warning you. the honda ones are terrible.
Cool. Thanks for the confirmation rdxon. The picture feature you mentioned would've been nice too. As is, I pretty much stop the car from backing up as soon as I hear the sensors now. I hope Honda/Acura will increase the range of these things in the future.