Backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Boost Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backfiring

Hey everyone,
I got the CPE CAI and a Forge Motorsport BPV installed. When I'm pushing hard from a full stop and the automatic shifts from 1st to 2nd, I get a loud pop coming from inside the intake. So from what I understand I'm running a lil rich to cause the ignition of the extra gas in the intake.

The BPV has a several different springs for tuning.
Green - 5-15 PSI
Yellow - 15-23 PSI
Blue - 23-30 PSI
Red - 30 + PSI
So far I used the green and yellow. Both conditions still have the engine backfiring. The blue spring will no longer allow for the sweet sounds of the BPV and somewhat defeats the purpose of going aftermarket. Don't really like stock.

Any remedies or suggestions?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Boost Enthusiast

Can't edit the post. Don't fully understand running rich or lean. So hopefully I said the right thing.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DeEjAy_LiM
Hey everyone,
I got the CPE CAI and a Forge Motorsport BPV installed. When I'm pushing hard from a full stop and the automatic shifts from 1st to 2nd, I get a loud pop coming from inside the intake. So from what I understand I'm running a lil rich to cause the ignition of the extra gas in the intake.

The BPV has a several different springs for tuning.
Green - 5-15 PSI
Yellow - 15-23 PSI
Blue - 23-30 PSI
Red - 30 + PSI
So far I used the green and yellow. Both conditions still have the engine backfiring. The blue spring will no longer allow for the sweet sounds of the BPV and somewhat defeats the purpose of going aftermarket. Don't really like stock.

Any remedies or suggestions?
But you should not be running rich or lean with the CP-E . The problem that has been mentioned by me and others about the CP-E is only when running a Hondata reflash and exhaust with the CP-E when you start getting AFR problems . CP-E and stock should not be giving you problems .

Last edited by crazycated; 08-22-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Instructor

don't assume it's your mods.... twice in the past week, my car, completely unmodified in any way has done this. as soon as I can get it to happen often enough to reproduce, I'll be taking it in for service.............
Old 08-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Boost Enthusiast

crazycated,
Thas what I had hoped. But I'm still getting a backfire in the intake. I'm doing some R&D for Forge Motorsports. One thing is I took out a specific tube that leads up to the BPV and replaced it. So the air isn't restrictive anymore. So a lot more air is moving somewhere else other than the turbo.

http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/12/64/03/25/p1020210.jpg

So if it's not something with air and fuel, then what.

stevel,
Thas interesting that you're getting that with bone stock. I pushed the RDX hard to redline a lot and never had a problem.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm having have the engine backfiring with K&N Typhoon intake with stock ECU . What you guys think If I go with Hondata Reflash will fix the backfire problem. Only does backfire when I press gas pedal more than I should on 1st gear take off.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Instructor

stevel,
Thas interesting that you're getting that with bone stock. I pushed the RDX hard to redline a lot and never had a problem.
eh, cars do stuff wrong all the time. that's why we have a warranty. and it doesn't happen when pushed to redline. it seems to happen when it upshifts after being under full boost. near redline it backs the boost off to protect the trans........................
Old 08-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Well I still don't think the intake's are the problem I had the same issue a few months back from a stop full throttle take it off and sounded like it was going to shut off and has not done it since then . Maybe some bad gas has it done it more than once .
Old 08-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by littleblazer
I'm having have the engine backfiring with K&N Typhoon intake with stock ECU . What you guys think If I go with Hondata Reflash will fix the backfire problem. Only does backfire when I press gas pedal more than I should on 1st gear take off.
No it wont fix the problem but you will get more power out of it . You should buy cwepruk Hondata Ecu .
Old 08-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Boost Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevel
eh, cars do stuff wrong all the time. that's why we have a warranty. and it doesn't happen when pushed to redline. it seems to happen when it upshifts after being under full boost. near redline it backs the boost off to protect the trans........................

Thas what happens to me too with my situation. It happens when it upshifts, but I assume it's always from 1st to 2nd cause more power is needed under full acceleration.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Boost Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crazycated
Well I still don't think the intake's are the problem I had the same issue a few months back from a stop full throttle take it off and sounded like it was going to shut off and has not done it since then . Maybe some bad gas has it done it more than once .
Bad gas as in the octane?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine has done this more than a few times. Both when stock, with a K&N ands with the Hondata. It's always about 3/4 throttle and around 4500-5000 rpms, it will shift from first to second, you'll here a clunk and the engine just dies for a second.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Bad gas as in the octane?
Yes not enough octane or just some bad gas in the tank some gas stations do have bad gas . The rating could also be the problem depending on were you put gas at were if you go too AM/PM there 91 octane could be compared to shell's 89 octane and also known as top tier detergent gasoline and Acura recommends that you buy gasoline from high-volume, major name-brand stations.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Pro

I've always used 91 or 94 here and it's happened to me. I used nothing but brand name gas, usually 94 from Husky or 91 from Shell.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crazycated
Yes not enough octane or just some bad gas in the tank some gas stations do have bad gas . The rating could also be the problem depending on were you put gas at were if you go too AM/PM there 91 octane could be compared to shell's 89 octane and also known as top tier detergent gasoline and Acura recommends that you buy gasoline from high-volume, major name-brand stations.
while I'd love to like this theory, I always use premium from a top tier retailer that only sells premium that is 100% ethanol free.

so, no, that's not it.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Boost Enthusiast

I had always used 93 from Mobil. Never anything less.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:14 AM
Boost Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cwepruk
Mine has done this more than a few times. Both when stock, with a K&N ands with the Hondata. It's always about 3/4 throttle and around 4500-5000 rpms, it will shift from first to second, you'll here a clunk and the engine just dies for a second.
I specifically get a pop. Like blowing up a brown paper back and popping it hard. But the engine does stop functioning and the car lurches forward.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Pro

It's been a month or two for me, but there is a pop and it seems to happen right between/slightly after the 1-2 shift, so there is a clunk in the drivetrain too.

Glad I'm not the only one getting it because gauranteed the dealer won't be able to duplicate.

I doubt it's detonation - I've never heard of detonation basically stalling a motor (it would probobaly blow up first). It's more like an intake backfire or a miss (or the miss causing the backfire. It seems to coincide with the turbo losing some spool on the shifts.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Boost Enthusiast

It's been a month or two for me, but there is a pop and it seems to happen right between/slightly after the 1-2 shift, so there is a clunk in the drivetrain too.

Glad I'm not the only one getting it because gauranteed the dealer won't be able to duplicate.

I doubt it's detonation - I've never heard of detonation basically stalling a motor (it would probobaly blow up first). It's more like an intake backfire or a miss (or the miss causing the backfire. It seems to coincide with the turbo losing some spool on the shifts.
Right, I don't mean the it stops functioning, but you found the right word. It stalls and the car lurches forwards. Then it regains itself and goes back to normal.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Instructor

So anybody ask service advisor about this problem? I took out the spark plug and seen fine to me but I put new anyway.Plus on my SnapOn Verus diagnostics scanner don't show anything wrong with the car. I notice after bang car shift to 2nd gear it drive crazy. Maybe I ask my friend service advisor he work for Acura dealer.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Boost Enthusiast

Originally Posted by littleblazer
So anybody ask service advisor about this problem? I took out the spark plug and seen fine to me but I put new anyway.Plus on my SnapOn Verus diagnostics scanner don't show anything wrong with the car. I notice after bang car shift to 2nd gear it drive crazy. Maybe I ask my friend service advisor he work for Acura dealer.
I would ask an Acura dealer, but I wouldn't take it into them. They would deny service under warranty since I have a few mods in. I was hoping the RDX community here would have a few good solutions.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Dealer cannot deny warranty because of mods unless they have proof that the mods where the cause the problem . My old 06 civic si was fixed under warranty by the dealer for a third gear issue it kept popping out of gear and my car had hondata reflash ,injen intake , dc headers , skunk exhaust and was still fixed under warranty no questions asked.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Pro

True, but an engine related issue could easily be blamed on a CAI or BPV even if it's not the case. Dealers are lazy.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Boost Enthusiast

True, but an engine related issue could easily be blamed on a CAI or BPV even if it's not the case. Dealers are lazy.
Right, and since this problem is specifically intake backfiring, they'll def deny me service under warranty.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Instructor

I sent an email to my service manager yesterday morning about this. I'll call him late tomorrow if I don't hear from him to see if they've experienced this issue or had any similar concerns.............
Old 08-26-2009, 09:19 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Littleblazer, can your SnapOn Versus clear any check lights/codes on the RDX?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Instructor

SnapOn Verus can do lots of things. check engine lights get codes check TPMS.
Plus I have shopKey5 that program will tell you step by step how to repair the car.
Also tell you where all the sensor is located and tell you how to check the sensor using
4-channel lab scope run on Window XP Wi-Fi.
I use everyday at work. Big price to pay $ 8900.00
Old 08-27-2009, 08:57 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Wow.... Cool
Old 08-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Today I got my ECU Reflash back from Hondata. I really don't notice big different in power. it seen to boost kick little bit sooner then stock. "BACKFIRING" still there but not BIG kick bang as stock. Yes is still there. @#$%^^&%...
I had no time to ask my friend yet. I'll when I get chance.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Boost Enthusiast

Damn, thas too bad. I still dunno how to fix this problem really. Other than reverting to stock.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Instructor

after emailing with my service manager, he spoke to the district rep from acura about my issue before having me bring in the car since most likely they would not be able to reproduce my concern. he told them that there have been some catalytic converter issues that have caused backfiring. so they ordered a cat to have on hand before my car came in. the rep said if there's a problem with the cat, it's easy to see visually that it is degrading..... so I took the car in, drop off on a thursday night so my tech(one guy only, been with acura since they started in the US) could work on it on friday. he drove my car and of course, nothing happened. before taking my cat off he called acura techline... they explained the cat problem and said that is NOT what's wrong with my car. so that's the end of that idea, although they supposedly do not know what the cause is yet. my service manager called me and told me this and asked if my tech could drive my car for the weekend with the HDS so he could see what was going on if the problem occured. I said no problem if you want to leave me in the loaner, an sh-awd tech TL. so we did that, and of course nothing happened. and the elapsed miles from when I dropped off the car, to when it was brought back to me on the following monday was less than 75 miles....... so...... they sent me with a honda data recorder so that I can hit this button to record a snap shot of the ecm data when anything happens while I'm driving it. driven about 200 miles with that thing and it's only happened once. hope it stored some worthwhile info. I will give them their tool back sometime this coming week, probably, and they said they'll send the data to techline and see if they have any direction at this time. hopefully something comes of it.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:39 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cat issues w/the RDX were a result of ppl running the gas tanks too low, which would lean out the mixture too much, and it burnt out the cats.....i posted this over the summer i believe....if Acura could identify this as the problem (running to low on gas) you got 1 free cat replacement, subsequent replacements would not be covered.

Just throwing that out there again seeing how they tried replacing your cat...
Old 10-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMike1981
Cat issues w/the RDX were a result of ppl running the gas tanks too low, which would lean out the mixture too much, and it burnt out the cats.....i posted this over the summer i believe....if Acura could identify this as the problem (running to low on gas) you got 1 free cat replacement, subsequent replacements would not be covered.

Just throwing that out there again seeing how they tried replacing your cat...
once they called techline, that's exactly what they were told about the cats.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:46 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I get the 1-2 shift pop under hard acceleration as well, and that's with a completely stock 2009 with 93/94 octane. Usually happens when I'm flooring it within 5 minutes of engine start, only going up to around 5k rpm. I just take it easy now, and when I do it later towards the end of my commute, rather than the beginning, I don't get the pop any more. So I just take it easy until the engine is completely warm.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Does it happend on D mode or S mode? coz i always use S mode everytime i floor it and i havent experience any backfire yet on my 08.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Pro

Mine has happened in both sport/drive modes. Engine is always fully warm when it happens. It's happened on a manual shift a couple of times too.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Instructor

MMike1981,

Just sent a PM to you, but can you repost your information from earlier this year on the service bulletin, relative to cat converter failure and backfiring due to running low or out of gas?

My RDX has done it a few times, and I'm taking it in this week to get it checked.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:06 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
replied
Old 11-24-2009, 05:30 PM
10th Gear

Having the exact same problem! I also noticed that 'rotten egg' smell too. I've had it happen in stock form and also with the Hondata reflash and the K&N Typhoon.

Its going to the dealership tomorrow for winter tires so I've asked they take a look for me.

See what they have to say
Old 11-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Boost Enthusiast

Originally Posted by josh_07rdx
Having the exact same problem! I also noticed that 'rotten egg' smell too. I've had it happen in stock form and also with the Hondata reflash and the K&N Typhoon.

Its going to the dealership tomorrow for winter tires so I've asked they take a look for me.

See what they have to say
I remember that "rotten egg" smell is sulfur from the exhaust. My mom's old c220 '95 benz always has it after the car's been running and then turned off.

Quick Reply: Backfiring